Removed Topic

Removed.

2 Likes

One of my twins learned to roll over before he really had the strength to pick his head up too. It was probably around the same age. It made me very nervous as well but the pediatrician said that if he can roll over on his own it’s ok to leave him that way and he’ll figure it out.

We made sure he only had a tightly fitted sheet on a very firm surface when he slept.
A couple of weeks later he was lifting his head up and looking around on his own. :blush:

2 Likes

[name_u]Salem[/name_u] has been holding his head up great since he was about 3 days old. It’s crazy I know but it’s true. He will lay there and scream into the bed before he’ll turn his head.

2 Likes

Oh I believe it. I’ve seen some tiny babies do that too. [name_f]Every[/name_f] baby is different I guess.
I suppose the only thing you can do is ask your doctor for reassurance. You can definitely try the products meant to make them sleep a certain way. Stuff like that did not work with my kids and it sounds like your little one is pretty stubborn too, but maybe it will work. I would just be paranoid about baby turning over and then their face is in that instead of a firm surface.

2 Likes

I do know that they say that if they can turn themselves while sleeping it’s generally safe and that actually sleep positioners are highly advised against in order to not increase the risk of sids

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/do-not-use-infant-sleep-positioners-due-risk-suffocation

4 Likes

If your baby lifts their head/holds it up but refuses to turn it to the side maybe you could get a chiropractor to look at them to see if it’s muscle tension that needs to be released to make it comfortable for them to turn. It’s got a fancy name that I can’t remember but I know that some baby’s get misaligned muscle strength and tension due to how they were sat in the uterus or any unusual positions they got into during birth. If it was that then one or two trips to the chiro and you wouldn’t have to worry about them not turning their head any more.

1 Like

He turns his head just fine any other time, just won’t when he rolls himself over.

Have you tried a tummy time pillow? It supports them a bit more so they feel a bit more inclined to lift head.

Also both my son’s had a plastic mirror in front of them, when doing tummy time. Encouraged them to look at themselves, which they both seemed to love doing :rofl:

1 Like

We have a boppy pillow he loves doing tummy time on and we put a little mirror and toys in front of him… it’s different now that he is rolling himself over.

1 Like

There is nothing you can add to his cot to stop him from rolling that will not be a massive SIDS risk. It is safer to leave him to roll than add a sleep positioner.

3 Likes

Hi there! Fellow Mom and Nicu RN here. As some others have mentioned, absolutely nothing is considered safe to refrain a baby from rolling, especially while they are sleeping. This is the exact reason SIDS does take place is because an infant begins rolling and a container or item is being used to prevent them rolling (to stay asleep at night) and then the infant is not able to get an airway because they have rolled into the item.

Based off of your description, it is possible your little one has a mild case of torticollis, or tight neck. It is very common, both of my daughters had this. Both of my children had it due to prematurity and positioning in utero. I encourage you to look at this website https://babybegin.com/ For my youngest daughter, we went through this physical therapy and she completely flourished once her therapy began. Your baby is right in the typical window of rolling, 3-5 months, but torticollis can play a role in their preference to one side of rolling or their comfort in rolling.

4 Likes