Renee?

I would love to get some honest feedback on the name [name]Renee[/name]. In the U.S. it was in the top 200 for nearly 4 decades and now has plummeted to #871. Some may think of it more as a middle name or too tired for a first, but I met a little girl named [name]Renee[/name] recently and somehow it seemed fresh and cute to me. But maybe that had to do more with how adorable the girl was. So what is your honest opinion on this name now…do you like it, is it too tired, ready for a resurgence, or is it going to continue to drop out of the top 1000?

Also, does the name [name]Renee[/name] need the accent mark? Does that complicate things for the child?

Thanks for the feedback Berries!

Although I find the [name]Ren[/name]ée “dated” (60’s-70’s), I do see the appeal. It has a pretty sound. I think most people know how to pronounce it without using an accent due to actress [name]Renee[/name] Zellweger. [name]Renee[/name] is still popular as a middle name choice. I like the Italian version of [name]Renata[/name] better as it sounds fresher.

I like [name]Renee[/name] a lot! I would love to meet a little [name]Renee[/name]. To me, it feels dated in the way that something like [name]Rachel[/name] or [name]Sarah[/name] or even [name]Amanda[/name] is dated–not quite fresh anymore, but still completely usable and a bit classic, too.

I would use the accent. I know a lot of people don’t even bother to include them and such, but I feel it adds a bit of authenticity to the name, and I love seeing accents on people’s names. If my child’s name in its original language came with an accent on it (like Esmée or Aurélie) I would definitely include the accent mark. I don’t think there’s any reason why you would have to (in fact, it’d probably be easier to leave it off, since it seems like a lot of people would forget to include them, or not even know), but to me, it adds to the legitimate-ness of the name.

I like [name]Renee[/name], I dont think it needs the accent since people here seem to know how to say it.

I think [name]Renee[/name] is lovely and not at all dated, and I don’t think you need the accent unless you’re French.

[name]Renee[/name] is my middle name, and it was the name of my mom’s high school best friend, so I have those associations with it. I don’t think that you need the accent; everyone knows how to pronounce it without.

I would love to meet a little [name]Renee[/name] too! But I were to use it I would spell it [name]Renae[/name], like [name]Mae[/name], [name]Rae[/name], and [name]Denae[/name]. It would help with the accent issue!

Oh, I forgot about that spelling. [name]Do[/name] other people agree that [name]Renae[/name] seems more modern and less dated with that spelling? Or does that seem like I’m trying too hard to be creative and will that cause lifelong problems for spelling, as am sure most people would want to spell it [name]Renee[/name]? But I suppose that does help the accent dilemma. Hmmmm.

I like [name]Renee[/name]. I think it’s been used enough in this country that 99% of people will know how to pronounce it without the accent, and I dislike the creative [name]Renae[/name] spelling.

I would use [name]Ren[/name]ée, with the accent. Without that, it’s just ruh-nee.