Repeating initials after not for so long…

If all goes well, i’ll be having our 6th. We have kids
L, E, B, C, M.

I’ve managed to give everyone their own initial for so long, it feels like a given I should avoid those ^ letters for the next.

Would it be all that awful though?

Some name examples:

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]

[name_m]Lennox[/name_m]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_m]Cole[/name_m]

I think the general argument against repeating initials boils down to two scenarios

1. All siblings having the same initial can appear gimmicky, even if it’s not intended to be
    and
  2. If initials are used often, it can cause unnecessary hassle and mix up, particularly with things like mail or organizing

Clearly the first scenario is not applicable to you, and if you’re not someone that labels things with their children’s initials or the like, then I see no issue in repeating initials! I believe it’s much more important to choose the name you love and are drawn to for each child instead of regretting rules you put in place for yourself.

I think it’s fine. As long as the names are different enough in sound and other letters, it isn’t awful at all - just you choosing a name you actually love!

If it helps, I know a family of ten who gave all their kids different initials, up until number six, who shared an initial with three - and then they had number ten who shares that initial too!

It’s not awful at all. I would hardly notice.
It might be inconvenient if you have stuff with each kid’s initials on it (like I’ve seen [name_f]Christmas[/name_f] pictures where each person’s stocking has their letter, or something like that), but nothing worse would happen.

Not a problem! I agree with the first poster about the two problems, and I don’t think either apply to you!
I’d also point out that overlapping initials, for me, don’t stand out if the letter is pronounced a different way. For example, if your C daughter was named [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], using [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would not be the same as using [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] or [name_f]Cora[/name_f]!

1 Like

I’m in a similar position - pregnant with my 8th without any repeated initials, but the only girl name we have this time would repeat our fifth child’s initial.

The possibility bugs me a little. (I frequently refer to the kids by first initial when texting family, but we don’t do other monograms or anything like that.) But I think choosing the right name for this baby is more important than fitting (or not) a certain pattern we’ve established.

Congratulations on #6! I really hope everything works out well.:blush: I think after you have a number of kids (like more than 5) it’s really hard not to repeat initials. Some people don’t care about repeating initials even if they only have 3. I personally know a lot of families with 5 or more kids and they’ve all repeated initials. I say pick a name you like and don’t worry about the initials.

1 Like

Repeating initials with >3 kids is completely fine imo. There’s no pattern, no-one’s left out. I think it works!

i used to be against it, but i know a family that repeated initials for most kids in the end, but staring with 2 out of 4, then 3 out of 5. no multiples at all.

i think it’s fine, but best if you happen to plan on more kids?

I don’t think it would be an issue considering there’s 4 others initials in the mix. However I would try to steer away from it

It’s not so bad.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dream family (if I had one) would be (from oldest to youngest if I could choose)

[name_m]Ryan[/name_m], [name_f]Annora[/name_f], and [name_m]Amias[/name_m]. (boy, girl, boy). These are my favourite names for children.

So if you love a name, and it isn’t too similar to an existing child’s name, go for it.

Of course it’s fine! There’s so many siblings out there with same initials and they’re all fine. It would bother me as a name nerd though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tbh I dont think after 6 kids anyone will notice if 2 of them share an initial! I think you’re fine

1 Like