Request - Spanish/English name variation suggestions

Hello! [name_u]New[/name_u] user, looking for variations, suggestions on a gender-neutral biased names for a real human baby.

Family names across parents families tend to be Arabic, [name_u]South[/name_u] American, Spanish, or Irish/English, and the new baby should have a name that is pronounceable in both [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish (doesn’t have to be pronounced the same though).

Here is the list we have so far, picked either because they are family names, or sound nice to our ear. Looking for variations that share sound and/or meaning :slight_smile:.

Appreciate any suggestions to flesh out the final pool to pick from.

Luzbel
[name_u]Gael[/name_u]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
Xiomar
Anhinga
[name_u]Ciel[/name_u]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]
[name_f]Aura[/name_f]
Aracel
Solis
[name_m]Nahuel[/name_m]
Caciel
[name_f]Naima[/name_f]
[name_m]Aion[/name_m]

as a spanish speaker, some of these baby names don’t come across as gender neutral in spanish – luzbel, aura, aracel, cassian, naima, and xiomar all seem gendered.

names i’d suggest adding to your list:

spanish
angel
azul
carmen (though this leans femme)
feliz
jaime (leans masc in spanish, femme in english)
montana
nevada
paz (though this leans femme in spanish)
rosario (though this is a femme name, english reads this as masculine)

arabic
janan (jah-nahn / hah-nahn)
samar
imani (im-ah-nee / eem-ah-nee)

english / irish
austin (aw-sten / ah-oo-steen)
evian (eh-vee-en / ah-viahn)
jean
alva (may lean femme in spanish)
dillon
keegan

1 Like

Ironically this is quite the male name according to the internet / central america with all those politicians called Xiomara, but [G/X/S]iomar been given to numerous females in my family. So I’m being very flexible on what gendered name is (unless it ends with an a or an o).

[name_m]General[/name_m] suggestions:

[name_u]Rosario[/name_u]
[name_u]Amal[/name_u]
[name_u]Rayan[/name_u]
[name_u]Dana[/name_u]
[name_u]Imani[/name_u]
[name_u]Izar[/name_u]
[name_u]Alex[/name_u] / [name_u]Alix[/name_u]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u] / [name_u]Indy[/name_u]
[name_u]Marty[/name_u] / [name_f]Martie[/name_f] / [name_u]Marti[/name_u]

Ideas based on your list:

[name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_u]Lucero[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_u]Amani[/name_u]
[name_f]Callisto[/name_f]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u] / [name_u]Noell[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_m]Dilan[/name_m]
[name_u]Jade[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] comes to mind!

Also maybe…
[name_m]Xavi[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_u]Juli[/name_u]
[name_m]Caden[/name_m]
[name_u]Mar[/name_u]
Alé
[name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_u]Milan[/name_u]
[name_u]Dakota[/name_u]
[name_u]Koa[/name_u]
[name_u]Iman[/name_u]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_u]Marin[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]

1 Like

the names are great, but i have to agree that other than ciel, solis, gael and maybe caciel, the other names are far from gender neutral. it’s unfortunately very difficult to aim for gender neutral within romance languages, but here’s some ideas, though they might be a bit out there:

ani
hani / hannie / spellings
cassi / cassie
ara
mar
aqua
neve
naveh
iere
lee / li / leigh
leighton / spellings
noa / noah
noam
eden
naz
baz / bas
amory
sian - though not neutral in irish, as far as i know
arue
les
amade
fenix
valente
ilia
lir / lyr
nur / nuri / nuria

1 Like

Since we’re all name nerds here, is there a resource for determining what a practically gender-neutral name is in some Spanish-speaking country? For example in the US we can use the metric of having some % of a name given to male and female babies?

La mar y el mar are both correct depending on your region (though of course if you think one is correct you’ll think the other one is terribly wrong).

Gael is (to me) obviously a male name unless it’s spelled Gaelle (though it sounds the same so what even is gender), but other ones like Luzbel is male because humanity has personified that figure as a male (unless it’s Venus, in which case - very female), and angels in general as male, but there’s nothing like - practically - male or female about supernatural beings.

Anyway, appreciate everyone’s suggestions and I’m going through each name carefully.

Right, it could definitely be different depending on the region, but generally i’d base it off endings and gender of nouns.

you’re correct that feminine versions usually have the added e or a at the end, i just felt gael was uncommon enough that it was an exception, it just vibes more neutral than a rafael.

i didn’t know luzbel was a figure, so as an outsider, i saw it as feminine, because luz and -bel names are both entirely feminine.

nature and angel names are a catch, because of course they have no gender, but we assign them anyway. so nature names go by the noun’s gender, and angels are male, because, idk, patriachy? hebrew is the only language that makes no distinction with the angel names that i’ve seen.

What about [name_m]Solal[/name_m] and [name_m]Viorel[/name_m]? They are masculine but not seem much so. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe [name_f]Solimar[/name_f] and [name_m]Nadir[/name_m]? [name_f]Solimar[/name_f] is feminine but it sounds quiet neutral to my ears and an actress is named [name_m]Nadir[/name_m] Caselli so it is fine too ig.

Maybe also

[name_m]Ashbel[/name_m]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
Levante
[name_u]Samar[/name_u] (Ditto @cewestia)
[name_u]Valen[/name_u]

2 Likes