Revisiting some old favorites

I’ve been pretty content with my list lately—that’s to say, not unsure about it but not inspired by it either. While scrolling through NB, I’ve randomly come across mentions of previous favorites of mine so I’m giving them another glance! All of these names would’ve made my top 10 at one point or another. What are your favorites and least favorites, and if you have any strong opinions one way or another, why?

Adair
[name_f]Aili[/name_f] (I’ve seen both AY-lee and EYE-lee for this, although I think the latter is more authentic)
[name_f]Avia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] (I say this ELL-oh-wen, not ell-OH-wen)
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Laina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Milan[/name_u] (I love [name_f]Mila[/name_f] but it’s too popular so I’m trying this out as an alternative)
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] (fresh and classic or 90s darling?)
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar (I like both but they give me massively different feels)
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] (my best friend will fight against me using this but I love it anyways)
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - i like it a lot! Full of rugged flair

Aili -I enjoy both pronunciations though i prefer [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] in general

Avia -lively and sweet

Eloweni love the flow of this name and the sounds

Gianna - it’s okay but I’m not a huge fan

Laina - I like the sounds. Sweet but grounded

Mabel - love the meaning and warm cosy feel

Milan i enjoy the flair of this! You might also like [name_f]Mina[/name_f]

Reyna - quite nice but a little harsh for me

Sabrina - i don’t love it

Schuyler/Skylar - this is one where i like the sounds but hate the look of the name, sorry

Talia - cute and quirky

Ziva - quite nice and lively

1 Like

Favourites:
[name_f]Avia[/name_f] - just a lovely sound
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - sounds welsh (even though it’s cornish), so reminds me of my welsh heritage
[name_f]Laina[/name_f] - reminds me of one of my favourite songs
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] - reminds me of the [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] sisters from [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m]

Least favourites:
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - sounds too old-fashioned for me personally
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - just a name I’ve never been very fond of
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] - same reason as [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]

1 Like

My favorites are [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]. I also really like [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Talia[/name_f]. [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] I love, but I’m starting to wonder if it feels a bit tired on NB lately. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, I do really love the sounds of it – such a lovely, earthy name.

I’d say the only ones I really don’t like are [name_f]Aili[/name_f] (just looks so confusing to me) and [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar.

1 Like

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - I like [name_u]Adair[/name_u]. It’s very cool and I like the nature association. It isn’t my favorite though, and I prefer it as a middle personally!
[name_f]Aili[/name_f] - this is so sweet! I like both pronunciations, though it may get mistaken for [name_f]Ally[/name_f]/Allie a lot.
[name_f]Avia[/name_f] - [name_f]Avia[/name_f] is pretty, I like the bird association. I also like [name_f]Avis[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviana[/name_f]!
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is one of my favorite names, though I personally prefer the other pronunciation. Either way, I think it’s so beautiful and magical. Also, even though I know it’s popular on nameberry, I don’t see a lot of people actually using it in real life.
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f] - I’m sorry, I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Gianna[/name_f]. I grew up with a lot of them, and I’ve never liked the sound of it.
[name_f]Laina[/name_f] - [name_f]Laina[/name_f] is sweet! I like nn [name_f]Lainie[/name_f].
[name_u]Milan[/name_u] - [name_u]Milan[/name_u] is okay, but not my favorite. I love [name_f]Mila[/name_f] though. Maybe you’d like [name_f]Milena[/name_f] or [name_f]Camila[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mila[/name_f]?
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] so much, it’s one of my most favorite names! I think it’s sweet, spunky, warm, quirky, and fun. Like the kindest little girl who loves to read, talk to animals, make people laugh, and go on adventures!
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f] - [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] is pretty! It’s also cool, with some edge. I like the [name_f]Reina[/name_f] spelling too, although with [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] you get the nn [name_u]Rey[/name_u]!
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - I’ve never been the biggest fan of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], I’m not sure why. Maybe because it was so popular when I was growing up. I’m slowly starting to warm up to it though, and I like the nn options (love [name_f]Bee[/name_f] & [name_f]Sabre[/name_f]!).
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar - I like the [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] sisters association, but not a huge fan of the look. I prefer [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] on a boy, but that’s a personal preference!
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Talia[/name_f] so much! It’s beautiful and magical, with a great meaning.
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f] - [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] is the coolest. So zippy and fun.

[name_f]My[/name_f] top three favorites are [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], and [name_f]Talia[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

Favourites:
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]

Inbetweeners:
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - I really want to like this name and I do kind of, but something always throws me off
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - pretty, but it does feel slight dated. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Sabina[/name_f], tho!
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] - I do like [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] (this spelling), but only on a boy
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] - I prefer the [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] spelling, although I’m still fairly indifferent to the name even then
[name_f]Avia[/name_f] - just a bit of an awkward sound to me. I think Aviva is gorgeous, though!
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]

Least favourites:
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u]
[name_f]Aili[/name_f]
[name_f]Laina[/name_f]
[name_u]Milan[/name_u]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

@greyblue, I agree with you about [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar! I’ve always liked the sound but I’m not 100% sold on either spelling. It’s one that my mom likes for me so she’ll bring it up from time to time and I’ll get stuck on it again. [name_f]Mina[/name_f] is cute but not my favorite.

@regionlatbest, I’m happy you feel that way about [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]! I have the same associations and it’s one “frumpy” name that I’ve never seen as frumpy. I’ve also never met an [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], and I don’t mind the popularity on NB. I can’t really say it with an emphasis on the “oh” sound? Idk it just doesn’t work when I try lol.
I also love [name_f]Camila[/name_f] but it’s about as common as [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I’ve considered [name_f]Milena[/name_f] before so maybe it’s time I gave it another glance.

@futuremama, yeah once again, I think my love for [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] has been foiled by its datedness :disappointed:. I do like [name_f]Sabina[/name_f] but I’ve never been able to commit to it. It just has a much different feel imo.
I suppose I can see [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] on a boy but not for me? It’s just always been on my girls list so I can’t picture it on my boys.
I like [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Talia[/name_f] pretty much equally but I want it to be TALL-ee-uh, and I’ve seen people use THALL-ee-uh and THAY-lee-uh for [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] before, neither of which I like.

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_f]Reyna[/name_f]! It’s on my list (not in my top ten bc it doesn’t really match) and I think it’s just lovely! I also love [name_f]Talia[/name_f], [name_f]Laina[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Avia[/name_f]!

1 Like

One thought about [name_f]Talia[/name_f] is spelling it [name_f]Thaleia[/name_f]- I love it spelled that way! [name_f]Avia[/name_f] is a really beautiful find that I’ve never heard before! I strongly dislike [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], and [name_u]Milan[/name_u] feels too fashion-y, while [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] is very witchy. I prefer [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] to [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u], and really like it! I like [name_f]Raina[/name_f] better than [name_f]Reyna[/name_f]. [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] reminds me of the NCIS character, but is still really pretty!

2 Likes

I adore [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Avia[/name_f], [name_u]Milan[/name_u], [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], [name_u]Skylar[/name_u]/Schyuler, [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] & [name_f]Talia[/name_f] for you!! :heart:

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_u]Milan[/name_u]! Not too keen on [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u], [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] or [name_f]Aili[/name_f] (much prefer [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] or Ailey)

1 Like

@dogs_books, I love the way [name_f]Thaleia[/name_f] looks but I feel like that spelling changes the pronunciation even more! I would pronounce it tha-LAY-uh at first glance. I do have [name_f]Althaia[/name_f] on my long list though and it reminds me a lot of that.

@jonquils, it truly is a strange state of mind to be in! I’m glad I explained it in a way where someone else can relate haha!

@vogueobsessed, I absolutely adore [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] but I think it would be so difficult to live with in the US. I actually found [name_f]Aili[/name_f] when looking for an alternative.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Favorites:
[name_f]Avia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
All so feminine and pretty!

Least Favorites:
[name_f]Aili[/name_f] and [name_u]Adair[/name_u]

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Adair[/name_u] and [name_u]Milan[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - I prefer this for a boy but I can see the appeal for a girl. I like the strong sound and similarity to [name_u]Blair[/name_u].

[name_f]Aili[/name_f] - This is interesting! It’s a little confusing to look at (i’s and l’s are so similar haha!) and I prefer the [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] spelling. I think this one makes pronunciation a little easier though.

[name_f]Avia[/name_f] - It’s not my personal style, but a nice name. It could get mixed up with all the Avas and Arias though.

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - Such a sweet, soft name! I say ELL-oh-wen too, I like that pronunciation more.

[name_f]Gianna[/name_f] - It’s kind of tainted for me because of [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] [name_m]Bryant[/name_m] ( :frowning_face: ) but it is a pretty name.

[name_f]Laina[/name_f] - I’m not 100% sure what I think of this tbh. I think I prefer the similar [name_f]Lana[/name_f] and [name_f]Lena[/name_f], but this is a good one to clear up pronunciation issues.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]! Quiet, vintage and cute.

[name_u]Milan[/name_u] - I hadn’t thought of [name_u]Milan[/name_u] for a girl, but I like it! It’s a shame about [name_f]Mila[/name_f] being too popular, but this is a great alternative.

[name_f]Reyna[/name_f] - I’m not really a fan. The spelling looks a little clumsy to me, maybe you’d like [name_f]Raina[/name_f] or [name_f]Reina[/name_f]?

[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - I used to really like this but honestly it seems a little dated now. I like [name_f]Sabina[/name_f] a lot more.

[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar - I don’t particularly like either of these, I just like plain [name_u]Sky/name_u. [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]'s a little too [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] and [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] always makes me picture a really specific annoying teenage girl lol.

[name_f]Talia[/name_f] - I think [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] looks more complete, but I can appreciate the simplicity of this spelling. It’s very beautiful.

[name_f]Ziva[/name_f] - [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] is so cool and funky, I love it!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Milan[/name_u]!

1 Like

@gia.berry, lots of great feedback here! I’ll try to address some of my thoughts…
I’ve never considered [name_u]Adair[/name_u] on a boy for myself but I think I could totally see it as a middle name. Tbh, I’m not sure I’d use it out of the middle on a girl either but this is a really interesting idea. Also, I agree about [name_f]Aili[/name_f] and the i’s and l’s… I’m just not sure I could, in good conscience, saddle an American child with the spelling [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], no matter how much I adore it! Sigh :pensive:
I do get the [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] [name_m]Bryant[/name_m] association from [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] as well. I guess it depends on whether it bothers me or if I’d see it as a namesake (tragic story but a beautiful soul).
I prefer the spelling [name_f]Reyna[/name_f] because it’s after the character from Heroes of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m]. I like [name_f]Reina[/name_f] as well but then it loses that association for me so the name isn’t as special.

Thanks for the replies!

1 Like

I get what you mean about the [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] spelling, it’s a shame though :confused: And you’re right about [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], she would have a lovely person to look up to and admire. As for [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], I think if that’s the spelling with the most meaning for you then definitely use that one! [name_f]My[/name_f] take was simply on the aesthetics of the name, I’ve changed a few spellings so that they hold more meaning myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adair- I much prefer this for a boy.
[name_f]Aili[/name_f]- I love the sound of this, so sweet but I’m not sure this is the easiest spelling to use, though it is definitely easier than [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]. Maybe Ailey?
[name_f]Avia[/name_f]- one of my favorites on your list, so spunky, yet sweet.
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- Another sweet beauty. I also say EL-o-wen.
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]- This feels very popular to me, though there is nothing wrong with it.
[name_f]Laina[/name_f]- This a a beauty, I love the sound. I would prefer the [name_f]Lena[/name_f] spelling but that may cause confusion on pronunciation. [name_f]Laina[/name_f] is clear on the pronunciation you are going for.
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]- I have such a soft spot for this name, it is so sweet and darling.
[name_u]Milan[/name_u]- I much prefer [name_f]Mila[/name_f] but I understand popularity being an issue. Maybe [name_f]Melina[/name_f] or Milaina/Milana or [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] as an alternative?
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]- another gorgeous underused beauty on your list. I think I slightly prefer [name_f]Laina[/name_f] though.
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]- I really love the sound of this. It has a 90s vibe, but since it was never overused such as [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], it still feels fresh and vibrant.
[name_u]Schuyler[/name_u]/Skylar. This name has always had such a unique yet lovely sound to it. Its one of those names I feel that is genuinely unisex and like equally for girls and boys. I prefer the [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] spelling for girls and [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] for boys though.
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]- Another lovely choice. [name_f]Talia[/name_f] hits all the boxes being spunky, vibrant and elegant without being overly popular or feeling over the top.

1 Like

I love:
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Aili[/name_f] (I’ve seen it spelled [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] pronounced Ay-lee)
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f] (I also like the [name_f]Reina[/name_f]/Raina spelling)

1 Like