Rex

Talk to me about [name_u]Rex[/name_u].
I quite like this as a middle name spot but is it too dog like? There are many boys with the names [name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m] ( ok that’s more cat lol) etc. Does this matter? I love how [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is Latin for king too.

1 Like

I don’t think so, especially as a middle name. [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is a powerful name!

1 Like

Others will see it as dog like?

1 Like

I didn’t see you had it as a middle name, my bad! I really don’t think so. I meant more that you might get the occasional comment, but in general, no, especially as a middle name.

Hah no worries thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Such a sweet name! I don’t think it’s too “dog-like”! I know a grown man (in his 70s, I think) named [name_u]Rex[/name_u] & it works perfectly fine on him.

1 Like

While it’s not my style, I think it’s appropriate for a (human) boy.

1 Like

I know a child with this name so it definitely feels like a human name to me! And tbh I don’t remember thinking about it being something people name their pooches ever. It’s a cool name, like [name_u]Rocco[/name_u] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love love love [name_u]Rex[/name_u] :heart_eyes: I would have seriously considered using it myself if I weren’t married to a [name_u]Max[/name_u], which just felt a little too close.

I think you’re in the UK too, is that right? If so, I think it’s almost completely shed the “dog” connotations here. There are several celebrities with sons called [name_u]Rex[/name_u] ([name_m]Will[/name_m] Champion, [name_f]Fearne[/name_f] [name_m]Cotton[/name_m] and [name_u]Stacey[/name_u] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] spring to mind, but there may well be more) and I’ve met a few IRL.

It’s a cool, not too common, quirky classic, in my opinion! Perfect middle name material too, because of the short, strong, distinctive sound.

4 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @katinka I’m in the UK.
Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback. I am really starting to warm to it. It’s honestly so close between [name_u]Jude[/name_u]/Arlo/Rex as middle name spots.

Not sure if you remember but we are going with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as our boys name with the NN [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m].

I feel [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is lovely paired with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] but it’s totally the safe/expected option.
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is to honour me as my name is ch@rlotte. Whilst I do really love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], I can’t help but feel it’s a bit of a made up kind of name which I find unappealing? As I like names to have a bit more depth than that.
Then I discovered [name_u]Rex[/name_u], looked up the meaning and discovered not only was it Latin ( I love Latin/Greek/biblical names) but that it meant [name_m]King[/name_m]… And that has made me totally sold.
I just wasn’t sure if people only saw the name in the canine world… But there is [name_u]Max[/name_u] (nice name by the way) [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m]'s we hear of, so I’m thinking well why not…

1 Like

I like [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. I think it works perfectly well either as a middle name or a first name. I don’t know anyone who has a dog with this name. The only [name_u]Rex[/name_u] I know is an older man and I’ve never heard anyone comment negatively on his name.

1 Like

Rex is really cool! I’ve met two and it suited both well

1 Like

Ditto everything @katinka said! [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is one of my favourite names and I’d use it for a future son in a heartbeat. I don’t think it’s too dog-like at all!

2 Likes

Rex is a fabulous name.

I wouldn’t name my son Fido or my daughter [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], but then again, I wouldn’t name my dogs those names either!

When I think of the animals I’ve had or known ([name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_f]Gladys[/name_f], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], [name_f]Beulah[/name_f], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_f]Consuelo[/name_f], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Sonja[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Ismene[/name_f], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]Fjord[/name_u], etc.), I can’t really separate companion animal names from human being names.

I particularly like [name_u]Rex[/name_u] as a middle.

1 Like

Only because you mentioned the dog name association: Inspector Rex - Wikipedia :slight_smile: Phenomenal crime fighting dog. I like [name_u]Rex[/name_u] as a human name and think no worries at all as first or middle.

2 Likes

Thanks so much everyone. I am really in love with the name [name_u]Rex[/name_u] for a middle at the moment so thank you

I love [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. I would totally use it even as a first!

1 Like

1 Like

Also does it sound ok with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]?
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_u]Rex[/name_u]? I liked the repeated R and I thought it flowed well

1 Like

Yes, I think it sounds great with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] :blush:

1 Like