Rhys?

I have an older son, [name]Owen[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. I just had another baby boy and I named him [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]. I loved the way it sounded and I think [name]Rhys[/name] has style, charm, and is more eye catching then [name]Reece[/name]. However, every time someone asks me how to say it and mispells it I think I cursed the boy! I am second guessing his name but my other top choices were [name]Cian[/name] ( also not common for others) and [name]Dashiell[/name] ( [name]Dash[/name]) but I worried that [name]Dash[/name] would be funny on a grown man and I don’t really love [name]Dashiell[/name]- just [name]Dash[/name]. what should I do? Change it or hope the rest of the world learns [name]Rhys[/name]?

I love [name]Rhys[/name]! I’d say keep it. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Rhys[/name]! Definately a great pick and is fabulous with [name]Owen[/name]. I grew up with a name that most people misspelled and I turned out just fine, so I wouldn’t worry about it- just correct the person and move on.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Rhys[/name], and only this spelling too. Please don’t change it! It is an amazing name and is amazing with [name]Owen[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] and [name]Owen[/name] are two top picks of mine too.

Okay, so he may have to spell it out but it is worth it, it is too fabulous to change!

I agree with all of the above. I adore [name]Rhys[/name]. It’s one of my favourite names.

It’s perfect with [name]Owen[/name] – both are strong, handsome Welsh classics. Interestingly, they are both the name of famous medieval Welsh heroes (look up [name]Owen[/name] Glendower & [name]Rhys[/name] ap Gruffydd).

This spelling, due not only to its cultural routes but also its look, is by far the more masculine imo. It avoids looking girly ala [name]Reese[/name] Witherspoon. Personally, I feel to change the spelling takes away from this names rich history.

My name is [name]Eleanor[/name]. Pretty familiar name, and yet I still got it misspelled/mispronounced throughout my life. There are very few names that aren’t so at some point. It’s not a big deal. You just correct them and then they remember :slight_smile:

And the good news is that Welsh names are hot now and more people outside [name]Britain[/name] are becoming familiar with them :slight_smile:
There are also actors like [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] (Brothers & Sisters), [name]Rhys[/name] Ifans (Notting [name]Hill[/name]), [name]John[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Davies[/name] ([name]Lord[/name] of the Rings) and [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Meyer[/name] (The Tudors) which helps.

Nameberry folks are so great!!! I really appreciate the posts, as I feel like I am talking to such knowledgable, smart people with fabulous tastes- well [name]IMO[/name] anyway- I guess I just got so discouraged when ever nurse or doctor could not pronounce his name. One nurse even spelled it out loud R–H-Y-S I think she was afriad to even try! The most important thing is I love it and I hope so will he! THANK YOU!

I really love [name]Rhys[/name], too, and think it’s absolutely perfect with [name]Owen[/name]! [name]Rhys[/name] feels so handsome, intelligent, charming, and even athletic to me, and I was so happy to read that you’re feeling better about the name now! :slight_smile: I think [name]Rhys[/name] was a wonderful choice!

[name]Happy[/name] New Year! :slight_smile:

Great name, one of my top ten. I can’t believe people can’t pronounce it, i find that really absurd. I wouldn’t worry too much, as long as the people who matter can say it then it really doesn’t matter if some silly person at the post office or wherever can’t say it. [name]IMO[/name] this is the only way to spell this name for a boy. Have faith that most smart people won’t have any trouble at all.