Rock 'n' Roll Baby, Name-Conventionalist Husband

Anyone else feel like they should’ve discussed baby names with their partner before getting pregnant? Before we started playing the name game, my husband and I agreed on everything. We like the same indie rock bands, the same books, the same underground restaurants, the same off-beat movies. We have artistic friends and creative careers. Our first purchase for the nursery was a record player.

But when it comes to names for our future baby boy, we couldn’t disagree more.

At first, I was suggesting names that are all over the place, in hopes of getting a handle of what kinds of names he likes. I suggested [name]Truman[/name] (nickname [name]Tru[/name], after Capote, my favorite writer) or [name]Otis[/name] or [name]Mick[/name] or [name]Chance[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Holden[/name] or [name]Tuck[/name] or [name]Primo[/name] (like the elder brother in my favorite movie, Big [name]Night[/name]), or [name]Monty[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Theo[/name] – you can’t go wrong). My better half replied, “[name]How[/name] about [name]John[/name]?”

Reeling it in a bit, I suggested [name]Toby[/name] or [name]Tate[/name], [name]Emmett[/name] or [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Cale[/name] or [name]Mack[/name] or [name]Sam[/name]. He said, “Ummm, [name]Robert[/name]?” Ummm, uh-oh.

Looks like he needs something masculine and solid, but – with all due respect for the many wonderful Johns and [name]Roberts[/name] out there – I’d prefer something less run-of-the-mill. We’ve agreed to use my maiden name as the middle name, and his last name. [name]Both[/name] names are 3 or more syllables, Italian, and end in O – mine starts with Z and his starts with D.

Any suggestions? Or, perhaps, any moral support from those who were also shocked by their partner’s taste in names?

I think you are right that a “strong” name will help. And one that SOUNDS more common even if it isn’t. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Allen[/name]
[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]

GL!
T

I think a good compromise would be either a classic name that’s not common for babies, or a popular name with a unique nickname. For example:
[name]Christopher[/name], nn [name]Topher[/name] or [name]Kit[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name], nn [name]Xan[/name] or [name]Xander[/name]
[name]Michael[/name], nn [name]Mick[/name]
[name]Robert[/name], nn [name]Robin[/name] or [name]Bobby[/name]
[name]James[/name], nn [name]Jem[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name], nn [name]Nico[/name] or [name]Cole[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]/[name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]/[name]Theo[/name] (I know you suggested this, but I think you might be able to convince him)
[name]Edward[/name] ([name]Ed[/name], [name]Ned[/name], or [name]Ted[/name]?)
[name]Francis[/name] ([name]Frank[/name]?)
[name]George[/name] ([name]Geo[/name]?)
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] ([name]Hank[/name] or [name]Hal[/name]?)
Good luck!

I would suggest the following…

[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Thor[/name] (funky nickname + classic name = awesome)
[name]Coltrane[/name] nn [name]Cole[/name] or [name]Colt[/name], Train, or [name]Trey[/name] (not sure if you like jazz music…)
[name]Hendrix[/name] nn Dre or [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Aria[/name] nn [name]Ari[/name]
[name]October[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]

My husband and I are not expecting yet, but I have already started throwing names at him. It’s always been a passion of mine, and I thought it might be less pressure to start now.

I’ve found though that his taste in names pretty much comes from names that he’s heard alot. Seeing the name on a person makes all the difference, as does repetition. Some names that he completely dislike when I first started this he has warmed up to even likes now just because it’s more familiar to him I guess with me mentioning it alot.

Perhaps your husband just needs to see that other people [name]DO[/name] use these names, and hear them a little to grow accustomed to it. Especially if you two aren’t around children alot, and if your hubbie is anything like mine, he really had no clue how names have changed over time.

Below are some additional names that might work:
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] (the nn [name]Art[/name] would be cool for such artsy parents ^_^)
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Douglas[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]George[/name] ([name]Geo[/name] could be a cool, unconventional nn)

Btw - it may be helpful to mentioned a cool association with a name (like, if its the name of a lead singer of one of the bands you like). That will sometimes get my DH excited about a name.

I hear you loud and clear! I’m not pregnant yet, but we are working on it so I’ve already thrown some names out at my husband. My name is not particularly popular (especially in my own age set of mid 20s) so I would like something not so run-of-the-mill for our future children. My husband seems to think that boys cannot pull off unique or different names - he likes common names. We have agreed on a few things though. Like some pps, I would suggest a more common name with a unique nn. Or, like I’ve done take a cue from your past and look at the family tree. He may be more persuaded by a family connection - especially if you make it clear this is important to you. If he has agreed to make you maiden name a middle name, then maybe you can convince him to make this a first name instead - then pair it with a common middle name. [name]Hope[/name] you can find some middle ground!

• [name]Marcia[/name]