Rory for a girl?... Or as a nick name for...

I’m loving [name]Rory[/name], but I’m thinking it would be a great nm for another name… But what?
My first daughter is named [name]Hayden[/name] [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Claire[/name], and I was convinced I was going to name this little one [name]Maia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. But, I’m second guessing [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Hayden[/name] together.
I’ve always loved [name]Rory[/name], but have been torn between whether or not to use it.
I was thinking of maybe going with [name]Rowan[/name], and calling her [name]Rory[/name]. What do you think?
Here are some other names I’ve taken too…

[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Avery[/name] or [name]Averie[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] (was going to be my first daughters name, until my family in [name]Boston[/name] ruined it for me back then with their accent… I’m thinking I’m over that now tho)
[name]Sailor[/name]

Please add on!!!

My best friend is named [name]Rosemary[/name], and for years was nn’d [name]Rory[/name]. She grew to really dislike the unisex nature of the name, and as a grown woman she goes exclusively by [name]Rosemary[/name]. Which was almost as tricky as changing her name–it took a great deal of effort to get everyone (including me) to switch over to [name]Rosemary[/name]. To me, it will be so, so interesting to hear what this current crop of children being named unisex names has to say about it when they grow up…

I like [name]Rowan[/name] (and [name]Ro[/name]) so much more than [name]Rory[/name] that it’s difficult for me to encourage [name]Rory[/name] as a nn for [name]Rowan[/name]. I only like [name]Rory[/name] through association with my friend, I actually find it tricky to say, and not sure I like the “roar” in the name. Of the names you’re considering, I like [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Avery[/name] the best with [name]Hayden[/name]. Good luck!

[name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Hayden[/name] are nice together and I think you could definitely get [name]Rory[/name] from [name]Rowan[/name] as a nn.

Other thoughts:
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Rosamund[/name]

The first two certainly work better with [name]Hayden[/name] for me, but since [name]Rose[/name] is already in the middle spot…any R name would get you the repeated R for nn [name]Rory[/name].

I really like [name]Rowan[/name] with [name]Hayden[/name], but I’d maybe get rid of [name]Rose[/name] as the middle name. Either way, [name]Rory[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is sort of a mouthful. I tend to like more androgynous names together in sibsets, tho - to me, [name]Hayden[/name] and [name]Maia[/name] sound more like brother and sister than two sisters.

I think [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] also work great with [name]Hayden[/name], but idk if you can get “[name]Rory[/name]” from those.

I’ve heard [name]Rory[/name] from [name]Aurora[/name] but that might be too girly?

I adore [name]Rosemary[/name] as a name. I just love it. And the [name]Romy[/name]/[name]Rory[/name] nicks are cute too.

What about getting [name]Rory[/name] from [name]Aurora[/name]? I like all the names on your list (especially [name]Avery[/name], but I am biased) :slight_smile: except for [name]Sailor[/name]. I think any of them would work very well with [name]Hayden[/name] (which I love by the way) - it’s hard to pick a favourite!

Other ones which I think may fit your theme are:
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name] (although this one feel as modern as the others)
[name]Marlowe[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you like any of those?

oops - re: [name]Sydney[/name] - I meant to say “this one doesn’t feel as modern as the others”.

[name]Rory[/name] is one of my all-time favorite names. I think it holds its own beautifully but if you’re set on making it solely a nn, I would go with [name]Rowen[/name].

[name]Hayden[/name] & [name]Rowen[/name] sound splendid together.

From your list, I also really like [name]Reese[/name].

Suggestions:
[name]Remy[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Scout[/name]

I think [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Rory[/name] are both great. I prefer [name]Rory[/name] on its own, but I don’t hate it as a nickname for [name]Rowan[/name].

For me, “going” with sibling names is really more of a tie breaker for two names I loved equally than a main consideration. I’d only consider it if the names were too close, not too different stylistically. I think [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Rory[/name] both sound fine with [name]Hayden[/name]. [name]Rory[/name] is a bit of a better match, but I don’t think you should think about that- barring your older daughter’s name, do you prefer [name]Maia[/name] or [name]Rory[/name]? If there’s a strong preference, that’s your answer.

From the list, I love [name]Harper[/name], but I’m not so sure about two androgynous, 2-syllable H names. It may be a bit too close. I like [name]Reese[/name] as well, but I prefer that as a nickname for [name]Therese[/name], [name]Clarisse[/name], or [name]Teresa[/name]. I strongly dislike [name]Sailor[/name].

Best of luck!

[name]Lorelai[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] are other options.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Rory[/name]! I wanted to use it but hubby said no. I kind of like it all by itself, but if you want a more formal name for it, I suggest either [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Lorelai[/name]. [name]Rowan[/name] is also a cute unisex option if you’re looking to match it to your daughter’s name.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Aurora[/name]?

I think [name]Rowan[/name] goes best with [name]Hayden[/name]. You could also do [name]Amory[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name].

[name]Rory[/name] is nickname-y, it doesn’t sound mature enough for a given name [name]IMO[/name]

I like [name]Maia[/name] [name]Rose[/name], and her nn could easily be [name]Ro[/name] or [name]Rory[/name]

My two year old is an [name]Aurora[/name] “[name]Rory[/name],” and we’re so happy with it. [name]Rory[/name] is such a great nickname but “[name]Aurora[/name]” is a nice formal, girly, grown up name.

If [name]Aurora[/name]'s too frilly for your tastes, I suggest “[name]Rowena[/name].”

I think [name]Hayden[/name] and [name]Maia[/name] would be very cute together!

I like [name]Rory[/name], too, but I’m not sure about [name]Rowan[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]. It definitely works, and the unisex [name]Hayden[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] work well together, but I like just [name]Rory[/name] with [name]Hayden[/name] more than [name]Rowan[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Hayden[/name]. I second the idea of [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]–I think [name]Hayden[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] is adorable! I also like the idea of [name]Victoria[/name] or [name]Lorelei[/name], nn [name]Rory[/name], if those interest you.

I also really love the idea of [name]Hayden[/name] and [name]Harper[/name], too! You obviously love [name]Harper[/name], I think it’d be a great choice.

Good luck!

I think [name]Rory[/name] is definitely a boy’s name, also [name]Rowan[/name].
However I think [name]Rory[/name] is lovely as a nn for a girl, for full name options how about [name]Victoria[/name]? There are lots of other options though; if you want inspiration try doing a Supersearch for girl’s name scontaining ‘or’ or ‘ro’ you will find 1000s of names.

My daughter’s name is [name]Rory[/name], and it’s established as a name for both girls and boys, just about equally, in the US, while in the UK it’s really a boy’s name. Like [name]Finn[/name], [name]Rory[/name] is a complete name in itself and doesn’t need a long form. It’s got a long history as just [name]Rory[/name] and though it may sound like a nickname, it’s not. [name]Rowan[/name] is a great name too, but very similar in style and meaning, so why use both? The only good reason to give [name]Rory[/name] a longer name is to give her a more feminine or formal alternative such as [name]Aurora[/name], in my opinion.

I love [name]Aurora[/name]!