Rory or Roary?

I am currently experiencing a dilemma. Growing up, I was very strongly influenced by a Roary. [name_f]My[/name_f] dilemma is whether to spell it [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as that’s the more common spelling or Roary as that’s how the Roary in question spelt his name.

Yes, the Roary I’m addressing is Roary the Racing Car.

1 Like

I think you could spell it either way and it would still honor him. Roary looks slightly like an adjective to me, so I personally prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. But if Roary feels right to you, then go for it! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if a young Roary would have to correct the occasional person, it’s not too big of a deal. Very charming either way!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as the spelling and see no need to change it, Roary wise I think I might be an unpopular opinion here but I love it! I love the association with lions the most and the significance it has for you! It’s not a unnecessary name change either as I often hate when people change it just to seem unique

Definitely [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. Roary does’t look like a proper name to me

Roary reminds me of the kids show ‘Roary the racing car’ so I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

1 Like

That’s actually the Roary I was alluding to! When I was 6, I loved watching Roary the Racing Car! I figured [name_f]Ro[/name_f](a)ry would be a more wearable name than Igglepiggle or MePhone4, so that’s how I came to [name_f]Ro[/name_f](a)ry.

1 Like

I agree Roary looks like an adjective. I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u] (love it!)

I’d spell it [name_u]Rory[/name_u] to give him his own name while also honouring and also to make life easier

1 Like

Rory.
Roary looks like a play on words, like someone tried to shove rhe onomonopea in there.

I think it depends on where you plan to use it.

Will this be a first name? In that case, I think you will be saving your child potential hassle by going with the more common/standard spelling of the name: [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

On the other hand, if it’s to be used as a middle name principally to honour this person, I’d go with Roary, since that was how they spelt it.

I like both, with a preference for [name_u]Rory[/name_u] simply because it’s a little cleaner and more familiar to me.

3 Likes

I much prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u] . I have had to spell my name my whole life so I think there is value in a name you don’t have to constantly correct people about. I also think you are still using the name which is enough of an honour

1 Like

I completely agree with @katinka!

Roary looks a bit silly to me sorry, so I’d go with [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. If it’s only going to be a middle then I suppose Roary would work, but for a first name go with [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! Unless its a middle name, as stated above.

Initially I actually read Roary as “rosary”, and I’m not even religious!

I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u]

Rory 100%

Definitely [name_u]Rory[/name_u] - I like the name.

I prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u], but if you are using it as a middle as pp mentioned, I think either spelling is fine.