Rory

The name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] makes me think of racing cars, and is very masculine. When I was younger, I watched a TV show with a character named Roary (note the spelling); he was a racing car hence the association.

I love the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and see it as a masculine name. I do like it as a nickname for a girl but at least where I live it’s used more often on boys. If you want it as a nickname though you could use [name_m]Roarke[/name_m]? I say go with just [name_u]Rory[/name_u] though. It’s on my list for a boy too.

EDIT: Oops, I didn’t realise this was such an old thread!

To me, [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is a male’s name, but can be used as a nickname for males and females (and I only say this because of Gilmore Girls). For example, actor [name_u]Rory[/name_u] Cochrane from CSI: [name_f]Miami[/name_f] is male.

I know this is an old thread but for any new berries who are wondering the same thing, I first heard/read the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] in the Thoroughbred series who is the younger brother of the main character [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f] so I had always associated it with males until I got to nameberry as I had never seen [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls. I think I normally see [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on girls as a nn for something else but as @ziggy2112 practically said, so what if it was used on a girl? It’s still perfectly usable on a boy. Why is it so horrible for boys if a name is unisex or is just a little bit feminine?

I think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] can be used as a stand alone though I also like it as a nn for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or Roran