Rory

I love the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for a boy. I feel like it fits well in my naming style (I think the idea of brothers [name_m]Colton[/name_m] - my perennial fave - and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is super cute!) but I’m a little worried some might feel its more feminine than unisex or masculine. For example, when I’ve asked people about the name, they usually reference [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m], from [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls, or that they like it as a nickname for [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] or [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

What do you think? Is [name_u]Rory[/name_u] usable on a boy? Also, any ideas for a longer name that could be shortened to have the nickname [name_u]Rory[/name_u], for a boy?

I, too, associate it with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] from [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls. There was a teenage boy named [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on a show called 8 Simple Rules, though! That is the first and only time I have seen it used on a boy. I don’t quite know how to feel about this name. I like it, but I just don’t know which gender I prefer it on.

I think that it could work for a boy, but might often be first associated with females. I can’t think of anything that could shorten to it though. sorry :confused:

I love the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u], for boys or girls. Personally I think boy first, but that’s because I’m terribly into [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] Who. Lol

1 Like

Thank you both for your input! I understand not knowing how to feel about it. The more I think about it, the more I’m not really bothered by the [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls connection. I didn’t know about the [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] Who one, though, that’s good to know! Pop culture really does play a big part into how things are perceived, so to know that there are a few boy [name_u]Rory[/name_u]'s out there is cool!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] throwing the real-life example of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] McIlroy out there too—rather famous male golfer (No. 2 in the world right now; was No. 1).

I think that [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is very much usable for the boy - if you look at the SSA stats the boys still have the majority with this name. In fact the margin is now wider than it was a few years ago - it is climbing for both genders, but faster for boys.

1 Like

I personally do not like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] at all, for either boy or girl (not that that matters), but [name_f]IMO[/name_f] [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is not a suitable name for a boy.

I have no association with [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a male or female name. My first instinct is it’s a male name. So if that helps…

I much prefer [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on a boy so I would encourage you to use it! It’s a great name and has a nice cheerful vibe. I agree it sounds good with [name_m]Colton[/name_m].

I think [name_u]Rory[/name_u]'s 100% usable on a boy, and I personally prefer it for a boy, although I don’t mind it as a nickname for a girl. I associate [name_u]Rory[/name_u] with male characters too ([name_m]Doctor[/name_m] Who and American Horror [name_u]Story[/name_u]). Where I live it’s much, much more popular for boys (only given to 3 girls vs 912 boys last year), so maybe that has something to do with how I see it. I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s not going to become a completely feminine name. I can’t really think of longer names for [name_u]Rory[/name_u], but I don’t think one is really needed.

Rory is all boy! I know a little boy named Rory and he (as far as I know) never gets any comments about it being a ‘girl’s name’ or any Gilmore Girls comments. The one comment I know he’s gotten is ‘Oh, like from Dr. Who? That’s a great name!’ - a male character association! I say if you love it, use it! It’s a handsome name. Rory could be a nickname for Gregory or Rowan; there are many other full names you could use but some are a stretch. Those two are my favorites. Good luck!

Is it really so bad that it was used on a girl? I think it’s equally lovely on both boys and girls. There was a male [name_u]Rory[/name_u] at my high school when [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls was on, and he did alright!

1 Like

I live in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] where its really popular for men my age, I know at least five, so to me its still all boy. I’m still slightly shocked every time I see it on a girl.

On a boy, I definitely see it more as a masculine, Scottish name. On a girl it is spunky and cute. I love the name equally for each, but I find it just a tiny bit hard to say sometimes… probably just me :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only [name_u]Rory[/name_u]'s i have met have been boys. I personally prefer it for boys,.

My first thought is of [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] Who, too, so to me the name sounds more fit for a boy. [name_m]Colton[/name_m] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] sound great together!

I adore [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! For what it’s worth, I think of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] McIlroy and also [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m], from [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] Who. I do think of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m], especially with [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls being on re-started on Netflix, but I think of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] on a girl more as a nn, much like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]–[name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a standalone name is given much less often to a girl than to a boy, at least here in the US! [name_u]Rory[/name_u] ranks in the three-hundreds for boys and the 600s for girls. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Rory[/name_u]'s one of my personal favorites, so I’m obviously biased, but I would love to meet a little [name_u]Rory[/name_u]! I think it’s both adorable and dashingly handsome. I used to be quite keen on finding a fuller name for [name_u]Rory[/name_u], but it’s a name in its own right, and have come to accept just [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. I love him just as he is! If I used a fuller name for him, it’d probably be [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]. I’ve also heard of [name_m]Riordan[/name_m] (REER-duhn) nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u], too.

I’ve only ever known male Rorys in real life. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] Gaelic/Celtic name! I say GO WITH IT :slight_smile:

I’m surprised that so many American berries seem to perceive [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as feminine! I’m in the UK and to me it’s a strong, rugged, definitely masculine name. I quite like the idea of [name_u]Rory[/name_u] as a quirky, tomboyish nickname for a girl, but not as a full name. It’s all boy to me.

I think of Rory as a boy’s name, but do not mind it as a NN for a girl. There is a male country singer/songwriter in the U.S. named Rory Feek.

I think Rory is a name on its own, but you could use it as a NN for:

Roger
Rogan
Rohan
Rourke
Roman
Romy
Oral
Orion
Aaron
Romilly
Roscoe