Rowen, Roan, Rohan

I really like the name [name]Rowen[/name] for a boy, but I don’t like how it looks spelled out. To me it looks feminine. I’m thinking about [name]Roan[/name] as an alternative spelling. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce [name]Roan[/name]?
When it’s an adjective it is one word, rhyming with phone. Is it row-en when it’s a given name? What about [name]Rohan[/name] - is it ro-han or ro-wen? Any other ideas for alternative spellings?
Thanks!

I pronounce [name]Roan[/name] as rone, rhyming with phone, like you said. Anyone who was as obsessed with horses as I was as a little girl would pronounce it the same way because it’s a coat color of horses. I’ve seen it spelt Roen to get the Row-en pron.

I pronounce [name]Rohan[/name] ROW-hahn, with a soft “a” sound.

Why not just use [name]Rowan[/name]? Maybe the e at the end is feminizing it to you, but it doesn’t look that way to me. It’s a unisex name, go for it!

I knew a little boy named [name]Rohan[/name] (pronounced [name]Rowan[/name]). I love that name, I wish my fiancee did!

[name]Rowan[/name] is the traditional spelling, and I think most people (male and female) use this spelling, so I would recommend you do the same. I agree that [name]Rowen[/name] looks like a feminized spelling of [name]Rowan[/name], probably because of the girls name [name]Rowena[/name] but also because the -en suffix typically indicates a female name for many Irish/Gaelic/Welsh names, I believe.

I would pronounce [name]Rohan[/name] as [name]ROE[/name]-hahn (like from the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings) and [name]Roan[/name] as RONE (as in phone.)

I don’t mind the spelling Roen but that might also be mispronounce as Rone.

You could also consider the boys’ name [name]Ronan[/name], I think that is ALL boy and not being used for girls’ currently. =)

Best of luck!

I would go with [name]Rowan[/name]. I think it’s pretty unisex. [name]Roan[/name] would most often be pronounced as one syllable and [name]Rohan[/name], as a pp pointed out, is a bit too LOTR.

I agree that [name]Rowan[/name] looks feminine. I know a little girl with this name. I pronounce [name]Roan[/name] as “Rone” and [name]Rohan[/name] as “[name]Roe[/name]-inn” without the “w” sound in there. I like both pronunciations on boys though! Good luck!

[name]Rowan[/name] a great name, I don’t think this looks feminine at all. And I’d definitely spell it [name]Rowan[/name].
Everything else either looks misspelled or will create mispronunciation issues. (This is coming from someone with an alternatively spelled name - it’s been a lifelong annoying hassle I still continue to gripe to my mom about!).

We have a little boy called [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Rohan[/name]. He was named after my father and brother who also have the middle name [name]Rohan[/name]. We pronounce it ‘row-an’.