Rowley

Noticed this name in diary of a wimpy kid books (so funny!) and at first I thought it was clunky but now it seems more cute. What do you think of this for a boy or maybe a girl?

3 Likes

That’s definitely my first thought when I see this name! It turns me off of Rowley, personally, but I think it’s a fun pick still.

6 Likes

It’s cute! I imagine it as a boy name, reminds me of names like [name_u]Oakley[/name_u] and [name_u]Huxley[/name_u]. I definitely think it’s usable for either sex.

2 Likes

I like it! Sort of a mix of [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowdy[/name_u]! Gives off a southern feel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I could see it being one where the pronunciation would likely not be all around intuitive. But as others have said reminiscent of other more familiar names so while nms I wouldn’t bat an eye if I met one.

1 Like

I agree. For some the connotation might not be a bad thing, but I can’t see past the character. The sound and style are fun and quirky, though!

3 Likes

It reminds me of an old building with that name in my town, so I get sort of old fashioned, elbow-pads-and-tweed vibes (in a good way!)

Possibly also influenced by [name_m]Rowley[/name_m] Birkin from The Fast Show but that’s a pretty outdated reference point these days :laughing: I’m vaguely aware of the Wimpy Kid character but only because I worked in a bookshop for years.

I’d definitely say it roe-lee

1 Like

I think I would pronounce the ow like ow not oh. Otherwise it sounds like [name_m]Rollie[/name_m] pollie to me. :joy:

1 Like

Fair! See I like the name Roly/Rolly short for [name_m]Roland[/name_m], and the place near me is [name_m]Rowley[/name_m] pn like ‘oh’ so it makes more sense to me :laughing:

1 Like

It reminds me of [name_m]Crowley[/name_m]

2 Likes

I think it reminds me too much of the diary of a wimpy kid character, and even though it’s possibly cute I can’t get past it! lol

1 Like