Ruben vs Reuben

I really like the name [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] but only that spelling. Does [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] feel like the “right” way and [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] just a variation or do you consider both spellings equally legit? I think no matter what, the name is open for misspelling… [name_m]Ruben[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], Rueben…

Follow up, what do you think of [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] as a little brother for [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] & [name_f]Fern[/name_f]? (Piggybacking off my last post)

I think both spellings are totally legitimate, and you should go for the one that you love. [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is amazing, and I think it would be great in that set!

I love Ruben with your sibset! I think it’s a totally legit spelling. It would get misspelled occasionally, but it’s an easy fix

I adore [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] with [name_m]Abel[/name_m] , [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] !

I grew up with a [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] and it was spelled this way-Ruben!

Does Reuben feel like the “right” way and Ruben just a variation

IMHO yes… I feel like also with Reuben I want to say Reuben. With Ruben I see “Rub” first.

3 Likes

I love [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]! [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is the spelling used in the Bible so that feels “right” to me, but if I were using a Spanish Bible, [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] would feel right, I suppose? It comes from a Hebrew name so it’s not like either is truly correct… either one was translated from Hebrew characters! I think most would expect [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], but [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] definitely works… I would just expect some Latino roots, personally.

I like [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] better with [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], and [name_f]Fern[/name_f], but [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is a personal favorite anyway, so this preference doesn’t surprise me. :joy:. [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] does work and I like that length-wise, it makes a lot of sense with your other kiddos.

(This is totally off topic, but it’s been a while since I’ve “seen” you, haha, and I’m curious… is [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] still on your radar? I always loved [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] for you!)

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! I was totally thinking the same thing about [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] being translated from Hebrew so it probably not being 100% accurate anyways. And oh my goodness, I can’t believe you remembered, you’re awesome! So… I still LOVE [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the Bible character and I would be so jealous if I met a baby [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]. It’s still technically on “my list”, but I have a few holdups. I don’t love the nickname [name_u]Bo[/name_u], and I don’t care for Z’s (or X’s) in names. And would it easily be mis-pronounced Bo-Ass? I still haven’t written it off, but for some reason I can’t fully commit to it. Thanks for the conversation!

2 Likes

I tried to reply to you but it might have submitted as a regular comment - hope you can see it!

I definitely think of them both as equally “legit” and I actually prefer [name_m]Ruben[/name_m]! I love it with your older kids’ names :yellow_heart:

I prefer [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] myself, but if [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is your preferred spelling, definitely use [name_m]Ruben[/name_m]! :blush: It works perfectly in your sibset!

1 Like

For me [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] feels like the right way mainly because it is the traditional spelling and I am Jewish.

I think [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f] & [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] looks great on paper but the -n endings of [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] make it a little mismatched although [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is one of my top names.

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is my favorite spelling and I think it goes the best with your other names since they’re all spelled the traditional way. [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] looks like Rub-in to me, like @Alix2016 pointed out.

I prefer [name_m]Ruben[/name_m], but both spellings are totally legitimate. [name_f]My[/name_f] hang up with [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is just that I can only think of the sandwich, but I think that’s a “me” issue rather than a common issue.

I’m a vegetarian. I’ve never even had a [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] sandwich. So I’m really not sure what my issue is there. Though to be fair I’ve never met a person named Reuben/Ruben, and if I did I’m sure the association would dissolve somewhat.

Nonetheless, it’s a nice name!

To me, [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] feels like the “right” way. [name_m]Abel[/name_m], Olve, [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and Ruben/Reuben form a great set.

1 Like

I love the name spelled either way! They look equally “right” to me, just reflecting different heritages/variations of the name.

3 Likes

I think both are well established. I personally prefer [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], but [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is usable as well :slight_smile: [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] works nicely with the sibling names!

2 Likes

To me, [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is the [name_f]English[/name_f] spelling and [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] is the European spelling. Both are legitimate spellings and I think it’s a good name either way.

3 Likes

I love [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] with your names! I prefer the spelling [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] slightly but I like the nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this name and I think it goes nicely with the vibe of your other kids’ names.

I think [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] and [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] are both legit spellings. I wouldn’t think to spell it [name_m]Rueben[/name_m] but have seen a lot of people do it when I ask for feedback on my usercard

1 Like