Rue, True, Truly?

I’ve had a long standing love affair with the name [name]Rue[/name] (before I had even heard of The Hunger Games, haha). I am also warming up to the idea of [name]True[/name], largely because it is almost [name]Rue[/name]. My SO dislikes both [name]Rue[/name] and [name]True[/name], but is partial to [name]Truly[/name]…

I am having a hard time shaking the [name]Sister[/name] Wives association from that one. What do you think? Are any of them usable? If you had to use one, which would it be?

I feel like [name]Rue[/name] is gaining in usability due to the Hunger Games’ popularity.

I know a boy named [name]True[/name], so that’s definitely usable. Obviously, [name]Rue[/name] is usable, but I think that if you named your baby [name]Rue[/name], people would automatically assume you had gotten the name from Hunger Games. I don’t know about [name]Truly[/name], it sounds a bit like [name]Trudy[/name] to me, and I don’t like that.
If I had to use one, it’d definitely be [name]True[/name], just because I’ve always loved that name

I think of the 80s My [name]Little[/name] Ponys when I hear [name]Truly[/name]… but then I don’t watch [name]Sister[/name] Wives. [name]True[/name] isn’t really my style. I like [name]Rue[/name]. I think it doesn’t really matter if people think you got it from the Hunger Games. Lots of people use names from Literature.

I don’t really like any of them, but would definitely choose [name]Rue[/name] or [name]True[/name] over [name]Truly[/name]. I associate [name]Rue[/name] more with [name]Rue[/name] McClanahan than the Hunger Games, but that’s because I just heard of the Hunger Games a couple of weeks ago. [name]Rue[/name] and [name]True[/name] both feel nicknamey to me, [name]True[/name] for [name]Truman[/name] and [name]Rue[/name] for… I don’t know what. [name]Truly[/name] just makes me think of “yours truly.”

I think they are all usable. [name]Truly[/name] intrigues me, but I am partial to all of them.

I don’t care for any of them, honestly. [name]Rue[/name] sounds nice, but it has such a sad meaning. [name]Truly[/name] sounds like it should be [name]Trudy[/name], and [name]True[/name] sounds short for something.

I had no idea [name]Truly[/name] was one of the My [name]Little[/name] Ponies! Haha! Thanks for that!

I like [name]True[/name] the best. I also like [name]Rue[/name], but personally would avoid it because of the HG association. Maybe in a few years I would use [name]Rue[/name]. [name]Truly[/name] sounds to adverb-y to me.

We used to call my sister [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Rue[/name]. I think [name]Ruth[/name] is a lovely old-fashioned name with great meaning and no pop culture reference.

I like [name]True[/name] because of the meaning but never can quite wrap my brain around it as a given first name, even though I do like virtue names.

[name]Truly[/name], yes My [name]Little[/name] Ponies and [name]Truly[/name] Scrumptious, the female lead character from the old [name]Dick[/name] [name]Van[/name] Dyke musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I do think it sounds the most name-ish though, and it’s so fun to say! But then it’s rather similar to [name]Julie[/name] so that’s probably why [name]Truly[/name] feels like a name. The TR makes it so fun to say though.

I think [name]Rue[/name] and [name]True[/name] are both quite usable! I actually love both (and would consider using [name]Rue[/name] to honor the Ruths in my life, too), and have loved them way before The Hunger Games. [name]Truly[/name] seems a bit harder to wrap my mind around, but if your SO can get behind it, maybe you could use it, just for the nn [name]Rue[/name] or [name]True[/name]…

I read a story once about a [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]–she went by [name]Truth[/name], which I always thought was pretty awesome. :slight_smile: That might be another option?

I like [name]Truly[/name]. I did hear it for the first time on [name]Sister[/name] Wives, but don’t associate it with the show, just heard it there and thought, “what a pretty name.”

[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] nn [name]Truth[/name] is so sweet! What a cute idea! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Truly[/name] best, and didn’t think of the [name]Sister[/name] Wives association until you mentioned it (And I watched a good bit of the show, haha)

[name_u]Truly[/name_u]! It has really caught my eye lately!

I like [name_u]Rue[/name_u], but that’s the extent of it. I don’t really like [name_u]True[/name_u] or [name_f]Truely[/name_f], and I don’t really see them as names at all.