Ryan (on a girl)

I’ve liked [name]Ryan[/name] as a girl’s name off and on for awhile (I might have even mentioned it before on here in the past), and recently it’s become a favorite of mine. I know that many Nameberryites don’t like names like these for girls (I know [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] do though), and even with me I’ve been debating on whether to keep it a “guilty pleasure” or actually consider using it on a girl.

An issue with the name is how people will usually think that she’s a boy when seeing her name without any other clues (and sometimes even with the other clues they’ll get it wrong). That is understandable considering that [name]Ryan[/name] is much more common for boys; with this name unlike some of the other more unisex ones (in which people will often not jump to a gender assumption) they’ll usually just assume that [name]Ryan[/name] is a boy. At first I thought it would be too much of a problem, but I’ve decided not to let it keep me from using it if I decide to; after all that’s one of the things that comes with using a name that is most commonly associated with boys. It might still be interesting in those times that someone thought she was a boy but turns out to be a girl. Likewise when she starts encountering others with her name and most of the time they’re male she might feel awkward at first, but I think that over time she’d get used to it.

Also I decided not to use a different spelling as some do to make it more feminine, and just go along with whatever may come with using the standard spelling ([name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] generally do not like altered spellings from what I’ve noticed). I’d probably use something clearly feminine for the middle name to balance out the first name though. I should note that I also like [name]Ryan[/name] for a boy, but I later started to like it for a girl after hearing about some females named [name]Ryan[/name] (that’s where I got the aforementioned knowledge on the likely gender confusion with using the name for a girl).

I love it. I do know one [name]Ryan[/name], I am not sure what her middle name is but i think you have a good idea in balancing it out with a girlier name. You could go with a classic like [name]Elizabeth[/name] i think that would flow good together.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Ryanne[/name]?

My personal preference is to name the baby so that anyone encountering the name will know the gender. However, I can understand if that is not as important to you or another individual. But if I were to “bend” my rule, it would be for something like [name]Avery[/name] or [name]Hadley[/name] where I can see the feminine appeal. I do not see anything but boy when I see or hear [name]Ryan[/name]. And I would consider siblings as well. With a daughter named [name]Ryan[/name], what could her brothers be named? What about possible future sisters? I’m afraid this one wouldn’t work for me.

I know twin girls named:
[name]Ryann[/name] [name]Nichole[/name] and [name]Evynn[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]. I think they are adorable names.

My best friend’s middle name is [name]Ryan[/name] ([name]Whitney[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]) so I like it. I would balance it out with a girlier middle name if you do use it.

Good luck!

My daughter is [name]Ryann[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and we encounter a little confusion, but i think [name]Ryan[/name] is actually a very feminine name. We know 3 adult women who are all [name]Ryann[/name] ([name]Said[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]).

I think a girly middle name will eliminate any confusion.

I knew a female “[name]Ryan[/name]” once (spelled just like that). She was very sweet, helpful, friendly, and professional. I had never met any women named “[name]Ryan[/name]” before, so I just figured she must have an interesting story behind her name. I have always thought of it as a boy’s name, but it does sound sweet and a bit edgy on a girl.

I think you should honor her gender since you know what it is and give her a girl name. I would hate for my guilty pleassure to cause my dauthter so much stress, struggle and hardship in life when it could be prevented. I think [name]Ryan[/name] is a boy name that should stay one. Your daugther’s future is in hand. [name]How[/name] would you feel if people thought you were a boy? I would hate it personally. GL!

I hate [name]Ryan[/name] on a girl! It’s very boyish IMHO. I don’t think there are any good feminine spellings you’re looking for, either. [name]Ryann[/name] and [name]Ryanne[/name] are supposed to be said as (ry [name]ANN[/name]). [name]Do[/name] you like that instead?

There’s also [name]Ryen[/name], but I think that’s said a bit differently.
I would just stick with the standard spelling.

Update since someone bumped this thread: I have downgraded this name to a “guilty pleasure” for now.

In high school I knew sisters [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name], they had a younger sister who’s name I can’t remember, but it was something very feminine. [name]Erin[/name] said that their parent’s always wanted a boy and that is why she thought they were named [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name]. At least they spelled [name]Erin[/name] the feminine way not [name]Aaron[/name]! I think [name]Ryan[/name] should stay a boy name and not be used for girls.

I love, love, love the name [name]Ryan[/name] for a little girl. I would’ve pushed for it, but my husband’s business partner’s name is [name]Ryan[/name] (male). I really like boy names for girls, especially ones like [name]Ryan[/name] that are gaining unisex popularity. Go for it. [name]Don[/name]'t worry what people will think she is.

I would reconsider. When girls start using boys names there’s no going back. Boys don’t start using girls names generally speaking. I love the name [name]Ryan[/name] for a boy as it means “little [name]King[/name]”.

Our 6yo daughter’s name is [name]Bella[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] W***. It happens to be a family name for us but I would think it’s awesome for a girl anyway.

Best wishes-
[name]Tara[/name]

[name]Rian[/name] is a girl’s name [name]Ree[/name] [name]Anne[/name]

I really don’t like [name]Ryan[/name] on a girl. I think it’s one that should remain a boys’ name. Also, I think [name]Ryan[/name] is quite dated. I’ve known more (boy) Ryans than I can count who are around my age (24). I do know of one girl named [name]Ryan[/name] who has a twin named [name]Sean[/name] who just graduated high school last year. Meh, it’s not like you’d be doing your daughter a disservice by naming her [name]Ryan[/name], though. I’m sure it wouldn’t be that big of a deal the people assume she’s a boy before they meet her. Though, I personally would not like having such a common boys name.

I am not a fan of [name]Ryan[/name] for a girl. [name]Rhiannon[/name] would be a pretty, feminine alternative…

I love the name [name]Ryan[/name], but not on a girl.

However, I do like [name]Rowan[/name] on a girl.

i love the name [name]Ryan[/name]. i actually prefer it on a girl though I think that many people would disagree. oh well,i like it