Ryann for a girl?

What do you think of the name [name]Ryann[/name] on a girl? I like it more on a boy (though I would spell it [name]Ryan[/name]), but it’s starting to grow on me for a girl.

Also, which one do you like more, [name]Ryann[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Ryann[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]?

Thanks!

I have a cousin named [name]Rian[/name] and she loves her name. Yes she has to spell it for people but once they know her they’ve got it.

[name]Isabella[/name] is getting pretty popular right now…

These two names feel to me loilke they are very different so its hard to say which I like better. I guess you have to decide if you want your daughter to have a more femenine or tom-boyish name.

Good luck! They’re both great!

What about the Welsh name [name]Rhiannon[/name]? Or the very cool [name]Raven[/name]? Two former students of mine, both very individualistic, confident and gorgeous girls.

I think the [name]Ryann[/name] for a girl is very cute…I also know a girl named [name]Ryan[/name] with the boy spelliing and she loves her name. I like [name]Isabella[/name] as mn I also think these sound pretty…

[name]Ryann[/name] [name]Sofia[/name]
[name]Ryann[/name] [name]Rosalee[/name]

[name]Ryan[/name] is such a classic boy’s name, that I don’t think it works on a girl, no matter how you spell it. For me, it’s like naming a girl [name]Nicholas[/name] or [name]Charles[/name].

I agree. It’s all boy to me, and the change of spelling doesn’t make it any more feminine to me.

[name]How[/name] about the Welsh name [name]Rhian[/name] ([name]REE[/name]-an) or [name]Rhiannon[/name]?

[quote=“elea”]

I agree. It’s all boy to me, and the change of spelling doesn’t make it any more feminine to me.

[name]How[/name] about the Welsh name [name]Rhian[/name] ([name]REE[/name]-an) or [name]Rhiannon[/name]?[/quote]

I third this! The double ‘n’ will be a pain to always have to correct people on, too. [name]Rhiannon[/name] and [name]Rhian[/name] already sound quite a lot like [name]Ryan[/name] - they are perfect feminine versions, without being obviously girly.

Also, I think a lot of people, once they knew [name]Ryann[/name] was a girl, would think it was pronounced ree-an, like [name]Rhian[/name], and you were just being “creative” with the spelling.

I know a girl named [name]Ryan[/name] and have always wondered why she had a boy’s name. If you love it that much than I think it would be okay, but I much prefer the [name]Rhiannon[/name] suggestion!

[name]How[/name] about the Welsh name [name]Rhian[/name] ([name]REE[/name]-an) or [name]Rhiannon[/name]?[/quote]

I third this! The double ‘n’ will be a pain to always have to correct people on, too. [name]Rhiannon[/name] and [name]Rhian[/name] already sound quite a lot like [name]Ryan[/name] - they are perfect feminine versions, without being obviously girly.

Also, I think a lot of people, once they knew [name]Ryann[/name] was a girl, would think it was pronounced ree-an, like [name]Rhian[/name], and you were just being “creative” with the spelling.[/quote]

4th, and if I saw [name]Ryann[/name] written out I would assume it was pronounced [name]Ry[/name]-ann.

Also, I think a lot of people, once they knew [name]Ryann[/name] was a girl, would think it was pronounced ree-an, like [name]Rhian[/name], and you were just being “creative” with the spelling.[/quote]

I fifth this! :slight_smile:

I knew a [name]Ryann[/name] (same spelling and everything) growing up, and she hated her name back then. I think that the main thing that drove her nuts was when people would assume she was a guy. And I think that it affected her personality a bit, in that sometimes she would act overly feminine to compensate for her name. But that wasn’t all the time. I haven’t talked to her since late junior high or early high school, so I’m not sure if perhaps she grew into it and changed her mind about it. For what it’s worth, she was a very nice, bright girl.

Honestly I prefer it spelled [name]Ryan[/name]. I always like unisex or boys names used for girls with the original spelling but maybe that’s just me. [name]Ryan[/name] is a name I love for a girl and wish I could get my husband to love it too.

[name]Ryan[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] has my vote over [name]Ryan[/name] [name]Isabella[/name].

Another voice to the chorus, to me it’s just a boys name. I jumped straight to [name]Rhiannon[/name] and Rhiann too (lovely names).

6th! Also I’d pronounce it [name]Rye[/name]-ann, I don’t know how you get the same pronunciation as [name]Ryan[/name] with an extra n. You might call her [name]Ryanne[/name], although that starts to get into the made-up category. It reminds me of a friend of my sister’s when we were young, named Raylene. I also know of a woman who named her daughter [name]Ryen[/name], spelled with an e. I think that even looks worse.

I know a few little girls named [name]Ryann[/name] (spelled this way) and I think it’s cute. I like unisex names for the most part, but this has become more popular on girls lately (at least in [name]Boston[/name], where I’m from!) But I get why people would think it’s totally boy.
For me, I think [name]Ryann[/name] on a girl is cute! If you love it, I’d say go for it!
Good [name]Luck[/name]!