Sabrina?

Hello! I love names and have been visiting this site for a while. My husband and I will not be trying to conceive until summer 2011, but we’ve already been talking about names quite a bit. I love the name [name]Claire[/name], but it’s getting very popular, and I also love [name]Fiona[/name], but I don’t know how well it goes with our last name, Sasso. [name]Meredith[/name] is a name that I like but don’t quite love yet.

I’ve been falling in love with the name [name]Sabrina[/name] recently. I love the alliteration of [name]Sabrina[/name] Sasso. I actually know someone who I really don’t like named [name]Sabrina[/name], but that hasn’t dampened my love of the name. And I love the [name]Milton[/name] poem, “[name]Sabrina[/name] Fair.” We’d use [name]Rose[/name] as a middle name because it is a family name that I really want to use despite its popularity.

What do you all think of [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Sasso? I think it’s really pretty and I like that [name]Sabrina[/name] is recognizable but not too popular, but I’d love your opinions too!

I like [name]Sabrina[/name], and I’ve recently fallen in love with [name]Sabrine[/name]. [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is just lovely, and the only thing I don’t like about [name]Sabrina[/name] is that it doesn’t have a nickname. But most [name]Sabrinas[/name] I know go by their full name, I know one that uses [name]Brina[/name].

I happen to be one of those people who don’t care for the name [name]Sabrina[/name], and it isn’t because of the “[name]Sabrina[/name] the Teenage Witch” connection - I happened to love that show when I was a bit younger. The name [name]Sabrina[/name] just seems to characterize a stuck-up, nasty, witchy girl, even though I know the cinematic and literary references don’t support this view. However, if you love the name, that really is all that matters.

My issue is actually more with [name]Rose[/name] Sasso, as, for me, the S sound in [name]Rose[/name] really doesn’t flow with the beginning S sound in Sasso. It’s like saying “[name]Roe[/name]'s Ass, oh!” - not good!

I’d also just like to mention that I absolutely love [name]Fiona[/name], and it sounds very nice with your last name. [name]Fiona[/name] Sasso is spunky, feminine, and cute! Really like it a lot! And, if you want to use a [name]Rose[/name] name to honor family, I’d suggest [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Rosaleen[/name] Sasso. This way, you incorporate names you love, you get your [name]Rose[/name] family name, and [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Rosaleen[/name] are both of similar origins (Scottish and Irish, respectively) so it all works!

Best wishes to you!

[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Sasso is a good name. I’ll warn you, however, that if you aren’t actually planning on using it until 2011 you might go through quite a few favorites by then. Once you actually are expecting, you’ll really feel the pressure to find the PERFECT name. Names you’ve liked for years might suddenly not seem good enough and the more time you spend on this site, the more selective and critical you will become. This has been my experience at least. I’ve always kept a list of names that I loved, but now that I’m six months into my pregnancy very few of those names have remained real options. I spend at least an hour a day on various sites scouring charts, trends, and definitions only to uncover a new favorite every week. Whatever your experience turns out to be, [name]Sabrina[/name] is good choice.

[name]Rose[/name] and Sasso do run together, but I don’t think it’s really a big deal. It doesn’t sound that bad, just a little awkward. Her full name isn’t going to be used often enough for it to really matter.

I think [name]Sabrina[/name] Sasso is lovely.
Although [name]Fiona[/name] Sasso works very well too.
Could [name]Bree[/name] be a nn for sabrina? sah-[name]BREE[/name]-na

Thanks for all the feedback! I know we have a long way to go before conceiving, having a girl and deciding officially on a name but I wanted to run my new favorite by the experts here :slight_smile: I’m not too worried about the [name]Sabrina[/name] the Teenaged Witch connection. I never watched it and it’ll be pretty out of date by the time she’s older.

I think we’d definitely use [name]Rose[/name] instead of a variation since it’s my sister’s middle name. But we do have some other family names that we could use instead.

@lemon - Thanks for the [name]Fiona[/name] Sasso feedback. You made me see the name in a whole new light and I love that!
@kiki - I’m not really concerned with nickname but I did think [name]Brina[/name] or [name]Bree[/name] could work. Everyone calls the one [name]Sabrina[/name] I know “Sabs”, which I’m sure her parents never intended. My full name is [name]Dorothy[/name] and that’s what I go by so it doesn’t bother me if there isn’t a nn.

I wouldn’t even consider the [name]Sabrina[/name] the Teenage Witch connection at all–that show went off the air years ago and children born in 2011/2012 will have no reason whatsoever to even be aware of it.
I think [name]Sabrina[/name] Sasso is quite cool. As for the middle name [name]Rose[/name], lemon raises a good point.

A side note on nicknames: I have a cat named [name]Sabrina[/name], and she’s called Sabby.

I’m happy to help! I still think you should reconsider the middle name [name]Rose[/name], or at least look for [name]Rose[/name] variations that you love. The problem may not be that major, as other posters have suggested, but I think it is major enough to warrant at least a look for something else.

I know I said I didn’t like [name]Sabrina[/name], and I’m not changing my mind, but I did want to suggest another name that sounds quite like it - [name]Sarina[/name]. [name]Sarina[/name] is a Hebrew variant of [name]Sarah[/name], and, in such, it carries the same meaning, “princess.” I think it is a really beautiful, unique, and fun name, and, if you so choose, you can nickname your future daughter [name]Sari[/name] or [name]Rina[/name] or something in between! I’d suggest [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Sasso, as I think the combination of a classic variant and a traditional favorite is really elegant and flows beautifully with your last name.

Best wishes, [name]Dorothy[/name]!

Oh, side note! You said you liked [name]Sabrina[/name] from the [name]Milton[/name] poem, “[name]Sabrina[/name] Fair.” “[name]Sabrina[/name] Fair” is actually a 1950s Broadway romantic comedy written by [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]. The title draws influence from [name]John[/name] [name]Milton[/name]'s song, “Comus,” which is quoted in the play:

[name]Sabrina[/name] fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting
The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair;
Listen for dear honour’s sake,
[name]Goddess[/name] of the silver lake,
Listen and save.

“Comus” is a masque (a form of courtly entertainment) in honor of chastity. In the performance, [name]Sabrina[/name] - a water nymph and goddess of the [name]River[/name] Severn in Celtic mythology - plays a role in freeing “The Lady” from a chair to which she is bound. [name]Feel[/name] free to look it up for more information!

I really love [name]Sabrina[/name] Sasso and [name]Fiona[/name] Sasso. [name]Claire[/name] Sasso is pretty, too, but I love the more flamboyant names with Sasso. I think [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Sasso is too “s” heavy. It has a lot of style though.

I wrote a long list of middle names to go with [name]Sabrina[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name], and then my whole window disappeared. Grrrr!

So I will try to recreate the list:

[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] - serene
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Fay[/name] or [name]Fey[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Fern[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Harper[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] - quirky
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - lovely flow
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Olive[/name] - rustic
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Carmel[/name] (car-[name]MELL[/name])
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Georgine[/name] - daring, only the hipsters would be impressed, but I have to say that I love it.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name] - absolutely love it! Warm and endearing.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - so Celtic and lovely.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] - love it

[name]Paloma[/name] Sasso would be pretty, too! Also love [name]Luella[/name] Sasso.

Thanks, lemon! I actually know the poem well, I just used that title because it’s the first line of that stanza and not the full poem. A bit of laziness on my part. I love in the new [name]Sabrina[/name] movie (based on the play) [name]Julia[/name] [name]Ormand[/name] talked about [name]Sabrina[/name] being the savior in the poem. That whole stanza really strikes a cord with me. I think it’s so lovely, which is why I think I keep coming back to that name. Thanks for your suggestions! I do adore the name [name]Claire[/name] but we definitely want a family name as a middle name. We have other ideas though that I will run by this site when we get closer to actual parenthood :slight_smile:

I’m happy to help! I still think you should reconsider the middle name [name]Rose[/name], or at least look for [name]Rose[/name] variations that you love. The problem may not be that major, as other posters have suggested, but I think it is major enough to warrant at least a look for something else.

I know I said I didn’t like [name]Sabrina[/name], and I’m not changing my mind, but I did want to suggest another name that sounds quite like it - [name]Sarina[/name]. [name]Sarina[/name] is a Hebrew variant of [name]Sarah[/name], and, in such, it carries the same meaning, “princess.” I think it is a really beautiful, unique, and fun name, and, if you so choose, you can nickname your future daughter [name]Sari[/name] or [name]Rina[/name] or something in between! I’d suggest [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Sasso, as I think the combination of a classic variant and a traditional favorite is really elegant and flows beautifully with your last name.

Best wishes, [name]Dorothy[/name]!

Oh, side note! You said you liked [name]Sabrina[/name] from the [name]Milton[/name] poem, “[name]Sabrina[/name] Fair.” “[name]Sabrina[/name] Fair” is actually a 1950s Broadway romantic comedy written by [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]. The title draws influence from [name]John[/name] [name]Milton[/name]'s song, “Comus,” which is quoted in the play:

[name]Sabrina[/name] fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting
The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair;
Listen for dear honour’s sake,
[name]Goddess[/name] of the silver lake,
Listen and save.

“Comus” is a masque (a form of courtly entertainment) in honor of chastity. In the performance, [name]Sabrina[/name] - a water nymph and goddess of the [name]River[/name] Severn in Celtic mythology - plays a role in freeing “The Lady” from a chair to which she is bound. [name]Feel[/name] free to look it up for more information![/quote]

[name]Susan[/name], I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Paloma[/name]. My DH does not but I think [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Allegra[/name] are gorgeous. Thanks for your feedback. I love [name]Blythe[/name] because I’m a huge [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables fan but we’re definitely working with family names for the middle. [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] is a dreamy combination. Great names!