Sacha Miles

I’d like some positive feedback on the name [name]Sacha[/name]. I know it’s unisex and for many already “gone to the girls”. But I have always considered it more of a boy’s name.

We would NOT consider naming him [name]Alexander[/name] and then calling him [name]Sacha[/name]. [name]Alexander[/name] is not to our taste, and I think it’s risky to name your child one thing wanting them to be called something else (especially something that, while embedded in tradition, isn’t very intuitive). For one thing my mother-in-law doesn’t believe in nicknames.

[name]Sacha[/name] is a name both my husband and I love, and have kept coming back to from the beginning of the pregnancy (I am 32 weeks). [name]Miles[/name] is the middle name after my father-in-law who passed away last year :frowning: We think the two names flow together really well - [name]Miles[/name] is a tricky middle name to work with! We’ve had trouble finding names we both love. Our girls are [name]Frederique[/name] and [name]Una[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. Other names we’ve considered are [name]Augie[/name]/[name]August[/name], [name]Tolliver[/name] (Tolly), Toshi and [name]Clancy[/name].

I am a little shy of what our family and friends will think, if they will consider it too girly. So I guess I am looking for some reassurance!

I much prefer [name]Sacha[/name] as a boys name, and think [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Miles[/name] is an excellent choice. Great flow and really like the symmetry of the two names starting with an “s,” ending with an “s”. Great sibset too…[name]Frederique[/name], [name]Una[/name], and [name]Sacha[/name] compliment each other so well!

I think it depends on where you live. I like [name]Sacha[/name] as a boy’s name, but wouldn’t use it in the U.S. as it definitely comes off as girly. One of the president’s daughters is called [name]Sasha[/name]. If you are in Europe I think it is way more usable as a boy’s name and wouldn’t hesitate to use it. I REALLY like [name]August[/name] by the way, if you decide not to go with [name]Sacha[/name].

I sort of have mixed feelings about [name]Sacha[/name] on a boy. On one level, I love it and I think it’s great to see names like [name]Sacha[/name] being used for boys again; but on the other hand, every [name]Sacha[/name] I’ve ever met has been female. I think most Americans consider it a girl’s name and don’t know about it’s root. There’s also [name]Beyonce[/name]'s [name]Sasha[/name] and, like pp’s mentioned, [name]Sasha[/name] [name]Obama[/name]. But then again, maybe [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Baron[/name] [name]Cohen[/name] will help to make the name a little more masculine? I don’t know. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I like the idea of it, I just wouldn’t want to be a boy named [name]Sacha[/name]. I know boys named [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name], and while I think it’s cool, they hate it. So go with what you love, just be aware of what might happen.
Sorry if that was discouraging!

I’m in Australia.

I met a guy my age once called [name]Sacha[/name] and he loved his name. That’s a hard one. I am pretty sure it wouldn’t bother me. And I have a daughter called [name]Fred[/name] (her nickname) and in our family, [name]Fred[/name] is a girl’s name first. There aren’t A LOT of girl Sashas around…I can’t imagine [name]Beyonce[/name]'s daughter will feature highly in his life. And [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett (I think - someone famous) has a son called [name]Sacha[/name]. But she went with [name]Alexander[/name], which I just don’t want to do.

Hmm, will think about it some more. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sacha[/name] on a boy. It is one is of my all time favorite boys names. It literally make me swoon when I hear it. I would us it as well but I’m afraid of other peoples feedback and the increasing popularity of [name]Sasha[/name] for girls. If you can get over that then I think [name]Sacha[/name] would make a lovely name for a boy. I wouldnt worried about him being teased ect, unisex names are all the rage now.

Who is [name]Beyonce[/name]'s [name]Sasha[/name]? Oh, [name]Sasha[/name] Fierce! Oh, [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett doesn’t have a [name]Sacha[/name] (she has [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Ignatius[/name] and [name]Roman[/name]).

I don’t know if you’re looking for only positive feedback or what. I don’t much like [name]Sacha[/name] on a boy. It seems very feminine to me. I’ve never known a male [name]Sacha[/name], and have only heard of handful of celebrity ones. I’m in [name]America[/name], though, so it could very well go over much better in Australia. If I could think of it as a boys name, I might like it. But i just can’t, I’m sorry. But the fact that you’re asking makes me think that it’s feminine there, too. Hmm. I ordinarily love “girls” names on boys (that were boys names in the first place!), but I think it works better for names that have become dated for girls. I think [name]Sasha[/name] for girls is just starting to heat up, and personally I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it at this point in time. But that is just me.

I think [name]Naomi[/name] Watts has an [name]Alexander[/name] with the nn [name]Sasha[/name].

I love the name [name]Sasha[/name] for a boy!
It’s on the top of my list of boy names. But he too will be an [name]Alexander[/name] with the nn [name]Sasha[/name].
Because as much as I love the name [name]Sasha[/name], I think [name]Alexander[/name] looks better on official documents :slight_smile: .

I love [name]Sacha[/name] to! most of the girls I know with the name are spelled [name]Sasha[/name], do it!!! :slight_smile:

I agree; go for it!

Yes go for it. I like it very much.

Oh, thank you for all your supportive comments!

Funnily enough I was teaching a writer’s workshop and there was a boy in there called [name]Sasha[/name] (he pronounced it Sar-sha while I rhyme [name]Sash[/name] with cash or dash). Anyway it was sort of reassuring to see someone who was making the name work!

I really like [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Miles[/name]! It’s all boy to me, personally, and I think it sounds rather tacky on a girl - no offense intended, of course. I love both [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Sacha[/name], and they work together exceptionally well. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about family-members and friends, because honestly, it’s your child - and, in my opinion, it’s a fantastic name!

By the way, your girls’ names are gorgeous! They fit really well with [name]Sacha[/name].

I think [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Miles[/name] sounds great!