Salem?

Recently I’ve been seeing the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u]’s popularity rising a bit. At first I wasn’t big on the name, but now I am kind of loving it! I’m curious to see what you guys think about it!

I like it! I think it’s very cool, slightly witchy, and surprisingly elegant.

I love the sound and the overall vibes of it, but for me the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials are a very strong and not so pleasant association with this one. For that reason alone, I don’t think I’ll ever be a fan, sorry!

3 Likes

I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! Very cool name :sunglasses: I personally connect it to [name_u]Jerusalem[/name_u], although I know that’s not most people’s tie to the name.

2 Likes

It has a nice sound and fun vibes, but I have to agree with [name_m]Jack[/name_m], unfortunately. However, if you love the name enough the association is one that can be overcome. It’s well known enough as a name.

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! I know this is weird but; I like the witch trials connection, even though people look at it as a bad association, I see it as: it was one of those times where people thought it was the right thing to do at the time (that’s how I view at it). And plus if we always considered or get turned off by a name bc of an association, then no names would be used.

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! It’s so cool, witchy and slightly mysterious :smile:

1 Like

It makes me think of the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials.

1 Like

I like it, but only for a boy.

1 Like

Salem is quite nice. It has a witchy vibe

1 Like

While I love the sound, I don’t like the association with the witch trials.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u]!

1 Like

I recently watched a YouTube video about the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials and it really highlighted how the fear of people being “different” or “deviant” was one of the root causes for all the deaths (because of Puritinism :roll_eyes:).

So it is a “bad” association for some people. But other people have a different perspective on it, how we should move away from extreme judgments like that.

I have [name_u]Salem[/name_u] on both my boy and girl middle name lists. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom likes it as a way to honor her being born in Massachusetts. I think it is a tough first name, but not unusable.

1 Like

I think it has a nice sound. Reminds me of [name_f]Selah[/name_f]. The association with the witch trials is not the best, but I think it’s usable.

3 Likes

I have to agree with many of the responses here. I love the sound of [name_u]Salem[/name_u], it is a very smooth, nice name. Living on the east coast, I first associate it with Massachusetts and secondly associate it with the witch trials. For that latter reason alone I would probably reserve it for a mn if I wanted to use it. As a first name I might vary it by going the [name_f]Selah[/name_f]/Sawyer/Sutton route.

1 Like

I think of burning women and old cigarettes so I am not a fan.

1 Like

I like the sound, and if it were just me, I wouldn’t mind the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] witch trial association.
However, I personally wouldn’t want anyone to have any negative associations with my babies name. I know that’s almost impossible as you never know what associations people have (like maybe they knew an [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] who was a jerk etc.) but I would do my best to avoid any well known negative association.
(But, as [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] has proven, with enough use and widespread familiarity, negative associations can disappear)

2 Likes

I think it’s definitely a cool name but with some negative associations attached.:wink:

1 Like

I love it! :smiley:

1 Like

I know a little [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. She was named after the town in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] where she was conceived. lol I do agree that most people will probably think of the “witch” trials–where no actual “witches” were killed (no records that anyone was actually burned, but killed other in other horrible ways like drowning, crushing with stones, and pulling apart on a rack), but rather outspoken women, disabled people, and twins and triplets. Its a much more horribly dark time in history than it is usually presented as, and I would swerve on [name_u]Salem[/name_u] because of that.