Salem?

Recently I’ve been seeing the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u]’s popularity rising a bit. At first I wasn’t big on the name, but now I am kind of loving it! I’m curious to see what you guys think about it!

I like it! I think it’s very cool, slightly witchy, and surprisingly elegant.

I love the sound and the overall vibes of it, but for me the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials are a very strong and not so pleasant association with this one. For that reason alone, I don’t think I’ll ever be a fan, sorry!

3 Likes

I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! Very cool name :sunglasses: I personally connect it to [name_u]Jerusalem[/name_u], although I know that’s not most people’s tie to the name.

2 Likes

It has a nice sound and fun vibes, but I have to agree with [name_m]Jack[/name_m], unfortunately. However, if you love the name enough the association is one that can be overcome. It’s well known enough as a name.

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! I know this is weird but; I like the witch trials connection, even though people look at it as a bad association, I see it as: it was one of those times where people thought it was the right thing to do at the time (that’s how I view at it). And plus if we always considered or get turned off by a name bc of an association, then no names would be used.

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Salem[/name_u]! It’s so cool, witchy and slightly mysterious :smile:

1 Like

It’s quite cool and unusual

1 Like

It makes me think of the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials.

1 Like

I like it, but only for a boy.

1 Like

Salem is quite nice. It has a witchy vibe

1 Like

While I love the sound, I don’t like the association with the witch trials.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u]!

1 Like

I recently watched a YouTube video about the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials and it really highlighted how the fear of people being “different” or “deviant” was one of the root causes for all the deaths (because of Puritinism :roll_eyes:).

So it is a “bad” association for some people. But other people have a different perspective on it, how we should move away from extreme judgments like that.

I have [name_u]Salem[/name_u] on both my boy and girl middle name lists. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom likes it as a way to honor her being born in Massachusetts. I think it is a tough first name, but not unusable.

1 Like

I think it has a nice sound. Reminds me of [name_f]Selah[/name_f]. The association with the witch trials is not the best, but I think it’s usable.

3 Likes

I have to agree with many of the responses here. I love the sound of [name_u]Salem[/name_u], it is a very smooth, nice name. Living on the east coast, I first associate it with Massachusetts and secondly associate it with the witch trials. For that latter reason alone I would probably reserve it for a mn if I wanted to use it. As a first name I might vary it by going the [name_f]Selah[/name_f]/Sawyer/Sutton route.

1 Like

Too dark for me.

1 Like

I think of burning women and old cigarettes so I am not a fan.

1 Like

I like the sound, and if it were just me, I wouldn’t mind the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] witch trial association.
However, I personally wouldn’t want anyone to have any negative associations with my babies name. I know that’s almost impossible as you never know what associations people have (like maybe they knew an [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] who was a jerk etc.) but I would do my best to avoid any well known negative association.
(But, as [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] has proven, with enough use and widespread familiarity, negative associations can disappear)

2 Likes

I think it’s definitely a cool name but with some negative associations attached.:wink:

1 Like