Sally

A friend just named her baby [name]Sally[/name]. Though I have never loved this as a nickname for my own name ([name]Sarah[/name]), on it’s own I think it actually sounds pretty in keeping with what’s in style right now, along the lines of [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], etc. What do you think?

Interesting question! My husband has mentioned the name [name]Sally[/name] several times, in fact, but I haven’t been inclined to use it although I like it just fine. I know he loves [name]Lucy[/name] too, so I think that’s where this comes from (I won’t consider [name]Lucy[/name] because its too popular now - we know several - and a relative with the same last name has used it; its also our cat’s name . . . the list goes on). I think my hesitation in using it comes from two things: 1) I just want a more serious name for my daughter (if I have a another girl); and 2) my daughter’s name is [name]Jane[/name], and those [name]Dick[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] books have a [name]Sally[/name], so it might seem too much like I just looked there (perhaps a weird thing to worry about).

My personal reasons aside, I think its pretty cute, and it seems like it ought to stand on its own and not just be a nickname. At least for those who don’t want a more serious name on the birth certificate.

I’d never thought of [name]Sally[/name] as a nn because I knew a few of them when I was growing up (maybe more of a trend in South [name]Africa[/name] at the time). The two Sallys I am still friends with are blonde, bubbly, lovely women (who both, for the record, have good careers) and their names suit them perfectly. I think some nicknames can be a bit lightweight as a full name (although I wonder if, in this generation, that will change), but I wouldn’t consider [name]Sally[/name], [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Sadie[/name] as being among them.

I like sally… i’ve never seriously considered it because that’s the sort of name i’d give my babydolls when i was a little girl… but it’s actually pretty cute…

I think it’s pretty cute! It’s vintage, charming, simple, and feminine. Plus, it reminds me of the character in Nightmare Before [name]Christmas[/name] (some people might not like that, but for whatever reason it makes me like it more).

I think [name]Sally[/name]'s cute!

It’s not my favorite which is odd because I really love [name]Ally[/name]/[name]Allie[/name], [name]Callie[/name], and [name]Hallie[/name].
Again, you change one letter of a name and it can totally change my opinion of it. I think I need to look deeper into that.

I don’t like this name. I like it as a nn for [name]Sarah[/name], though. But as a stand-alond name, I find it unappealing … sounds like Salad. I prefer [name]Sal[/name], though I don’t like this as a stand-alone name, either.

I absolutely love [name]Sally[/name]! It’s a classic, and I associate it with When [name]Harry[/name] Met [name]Sally[/name], [name]Sally[/name] [name]Field[/name] (I think she’s great!), and the two perky Sallys I knew growing up.

I think it’s spunky and cheerful. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you and your friend, [name]Sarah[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Sally[/name] is an adorable name. Yes, it’s a little light for a first name but it is a great nickname, and perhaps an alternative to [name]Molly[/name], if you think that name’s too popular. [name]Sallie[/name] is my favorite spelling, nickname spelling aren’t set in stone so it works. [name]Sal[/name] is also cute. Has anyone read the children’s book Blueberries For [name]Sal[/name]? I also love [name]Sally[/name] as a dog name.

I love that book! :slight_smile:

I think by arbitrary selection, I’m able to see some nicknames as formal names, and others not. [name]Sally[/name] was my first “favorite name” for whatever reason. I am linking it in time to my doll [name]Betsy[/name] (I think [name]Betsy[/name] Wetsie because I never would have just out of the blue come up with [name]Betsy[/name] at the time). It was a long time until I was aware [name]Sally[/name] was a nickname for [name]Sarah[/name], and I think went in fashion and out because [name]Sarah[/name] is a solid classic, some eras just don’t tolerate people going around without a zippy nickname to cover up your name or spice it up a bit and make it sound like you are not your blessed grandmother. I had similar feelings for [name]Betsy[/name] - it just seems like an odd thing to call someone for no good reason. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a good reason.

I also hear “[name]Sally[/name]” as a man’s name sometime, short for [name]Salvatore[/name] usually, so I don’t feel like it’s a full name. I really like how it sounds, and boys aren’t named [name]Salvatore[/name] too often anymore, but it still sounds informal either way.

[name]Sally[/name] is not my style. Though it is rather refreshing to see on a baby.