Same First Initial?

What is your experience with sibling sets with matching first letters? I don’t have children yet, but eventually, I would like a semi-large family (at least 4 kids). I have had two names picked out that I have loved for years and definitely want to use when I have kids; Jack and Jonah. I have some other J names on my name list, but I don’t know if I love enough J names to use them for all of my potential kids. Also obviously a large family with all J names might have a negative association with the Duggar family. What do you think about matching first-letter sibling names?

Matching first letter sibling names
  • Totally!
  • Maybe…
  • No way!
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

[name_f]My[/name_f] general preference is to avoid matching sibling initials if possible, but I don’t see it as a dealbreaker for favorite names! [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] are great together. That being said, I’m not a big fan of having lots of siblings with matching initials. Two isn’t a big deal, but three starts to feel like a lot and any more than that would definitely be too much for me. That’s just my personal take though!

2 Likes

I’m one of 3 girls, all of us with L names. The only problem we ever really had was family members (immediate and extended) calling out all 3 of our names before they landed on the one they meant to say. It was slightly annoying as a kid, but not overall terrible.

If you love the names [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], use them. I personally wouldn’t go out of the way to name ALL my kids with the same initial just for a theme, especially with 4+ kids, but I wouldn’t shy away from a few having the same first letter either.

2 Likes

2 names starting with the same letter is a coincidence; 3+ names with the same starting letter is a pattern. If you don’t have enough J names and you are looking at having 4+ kids, you could use J names for 2 kids and other letters for the other kids.

Examples:

1. [name_f]Carina[/name_f], [name_u]Christian[/name_u], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] & [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
  2. Tɛgᴀn, [name_m]Tancred[/name_m], [name_f]Carys[/name_f] & [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
1 Like

Jack and Jonah make cute brother names, so I think you should go for it! They aren’t super similar either, so it shouldn’t lead to confusion. It might be best to make them the only J names though, and use other letters for potential siblings.

I have a friend who’s siblings each share an initial with another sibling. She and her brother are E, and her other two siblings are B. I’ve asked them about it before, and it doesn’t cause a problem, they just mark everything with first and second letters. (for example, Elli would be El, Ben would be Be).

I tend to avoid it but I think if the names are different enough in terms of sound I can’t see why not.
One name I like is [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] which shares same initial as me as I am a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] for instance.

I forgot to add that my cousin gave her girls K names and her son a B name. She and her husband planned on giving any other children names to fit this pattern. There birth order and starting initials are as follows:

1. Girl – K
  2. Girl – K
  3. Boy – B

Also, there is a family I know of whose kids are split between initials. There birth order and starting initials are as follows:

1. Girl – C
  2. Boy – C
  3. Boy – S
  4. Girl – S

[name_f]My[/name_f] family matches, technically. MM(E but goes by L)L. It wasn’t intentional. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents just liked our names. Number three was almost G instead of E/L…

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I would say give them their own middle names (my mom made all her kids’ middles her maiden name, which is nice but two of us share all initials, and so does my dad with a different middle name).

I didn’t say Totally because I would rather not do it myself. But thinking about it, 3/5 of my high school friends sibsets also include same first initials (KBB, KKA, GGTC)- boy/girl sharing for the first two sibsets, girl/girl sharing for the last.

It’s not my preference (I share an initial with my sibling), but it’s fine!

I think using names you love is more important than making the sibset ‘match’. So if you love 2 ‘j’ names then an ‘l’ name and an ‘r’ great! I don’t think it would be a problem. If you want to use all ‘j’ names a d you love them all great!
I know lots of ‘matching’ sibsets and lots that don’t and some that just seem completely random. But you’re kiddos are going to grow up and live their own lives where most people won’t know the name s of their siblings. So a good name you love is more important than a matching sibset.

It depends on how similar the names are, I’ve met a sib set - Sylvie, Sophia, and Sage- and I think it worked quite well.

Considering my parents, siblings and I all have the same first initial, I guess I should say yes, but my heart says no. Idk, I never really liked it

I wouldn’t name all my kids with the same initial but I have no problem duplicating initials.

I know a family of 5 - [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_u]Amos[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]

Also a family of 4 - [name_u]Elijah[/name_u], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], and [name_f]Carys[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] in-laws are all JLBs

[name_f]Jacy[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], & [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]

It’s too much for me personally. Repeating a few times- not a problem to me but all the same? Not my favorite.

I would avoid doing it intentionally but I think it’s fine if you just really love two names that start with the same letter.

The Duggars are obnoxious not gonna lie. [name_u]Happy[/name_u] 28th birthday to [name_f]Jinger[/name_f] but she should change her spelling to [name_f]Ginger[/name_f] once and for all. I just had to say that. [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] is a good middle name for [name_u]Jack[/name_u] and [name_u]Jack[/name_u] is a good middle name for [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] siblings, parents and I all have the same initial and origin but are different enough that they very rarely get mixed up.
[name_f]My[/name_f] cousins however the parents and youngest are K, and oldest 2 are H and the middle 2 are C. You could always have groups of first letter initials if that would work for you instead.

Ex. [name_u]Jack[/name_u], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], and [name_f]Leah[/name_f]

[name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe the boys be J and the girls a different letter

Ex. [name_u]Jack[/name_u], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], Jacob…., [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_u]Lacy[/name_u], Lucy……

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is the Kardashians over the Duggars. I think some families can pull it off better than others I guess? I wouldn’t worry if two kids have the same first letter but for all the kids to have it, I personally feel its a little much. Especially if you spell the name unconventional to achieve the trend. I feel thats going over the top. If you spell the names properly and two kids have the same first letter but not all of them, I really wouldn’t think much of it.

Three kids down and we’ve managed to avoid matching initials but are definitely struggling now that we’re onto our fourth. It’s easier the less kids you have! As you have more, you’ll find that it gets gradually harder until every corner you turn has a name with the same initial :rofl::heart: Personal opinion is that having more than two kids with the same initial and then one without makes the lonesome initial sound misplaced. If you start a pattern, stick with it!