Samuel Oak?

We are considering [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] as the first name for our son. As it’s so traditional I’d like a more unique middle name. I love [name_u]Oak[/name_u] for a middle name and it’s meaningful to our family (after the street I grew up on as a child and a character from a favorite book). I googled [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] to make sure it wasn’t the name of a serial killer or something and it turns out it’s the name of a Pokémon character… my husband and I know nothing about Pokémon so looking for input from people, would you make this association or don’t we need to worry about it? And aside from the Pokémon thing do you like the name [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]?

5 Likes

I don’t really know anything about Pokemon either, sorry. But I love the sound of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]!

1 Like

I know nothing about Pokemon. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] does sound good though.

Professor [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is a pretty important character in the Pokemon anime, but that said, he’s almost never called “Samuel Oak” and I had no idea that was his first name until I googled it :sweat_smile: I think it’s fine! Especially since you can just explain that you liked the name [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is significant to you. It’s an interesting coincidence, not an association that’s bad or that most would notice!

8 Likes

That’s good to know! Thank you!

I’m not familiar with Pokémon so I can’t comment on that, but I think that it’s a kind of cool connection – niche enough that not everyone will know it, but a fun little fact to learn about your name someday! Definitely not a negative, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

You’ve chosen a beautiful name for your son!

I can’t comment on Pokémon connection but wanted to drop in and say I absolutely love [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] what a gorgeous name too choose for your son :evergreen_tree:

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is gorgeous :heart_eyes: balanced and lovely!

I know pretty much nothing about Pokemon, though my friend was into it when we were younger and they never mentioned a [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] / [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]. I think it’s fine anyway, since [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is a middle and from a quick google, I don’t think it’s a negative associaiton?

I’ve played Pokémon games since the first ones came out in the 90s and I had no clue Professor Oak’s first name is [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]! I don’t think a lot of people will make the association, and the association is also a positive/neutral one (he’s a mentor to the younger protagonist, nothing evil/worrisome). I’d say you’re totally fine and I really like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] for you.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband really likes Pokemon, so I asked him! He didn’t think of it until I said “from Pokemon,” and he only figured it out because he knows of Professor [name_u]Oak[/name_u], so logic told him that if I were asking who [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is from Pokemon, it must be him haha! So I think you’re totally good :slight_smile: Especially as a first and middle name combo, I don’t think people will think of it, even most Pokemon fans!

1 Like

This was my own reaction and that of my husband. He said “who?” when I asked him if he knew [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]. Then he said, “heh???” when I said from Pokémon. I explained why I was asking and he said, “…then it must be Professor Oak.”

I watched the show as a child and my brother played the game. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband was a big fan of it even past high school.

I definitely don’t see it being a serious problem. Very handsome choice.

1 Like

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is adorable!!

I asked my husband and he knew of the pokemon reference right away.
So I’m sure some people will see a connection to the name, while other will not.

I also loved Pokémon, and though I know Professor [name_u]Oak[/name_u], I had no idea his name was [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] either! I absolutely adore this combination. I think you have a beautiful choice here :yellow_heart:

I clicked on this thread because I know exactly who [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is, but it’s funny, because in the Pokémon universe it’s even a lesser known fact that Professor Oak’s first name is [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]. There is a movie, Pokémon 4Ever, where [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and friends meet a young boy named [name_u]Sammy[/name_u] who time traveled. It’s a big reveal at the end that it’s the professor! We watched the movie recently, and I remembered who [name_u]Sammy[/name_u] was from my childhood, but my husband was shocked :open_mouth: it’s definitely a solid name and will only be thought of as iconic by fans, like me, of the franchise! Besides Pokémon is still as popular as ever, so your son’s future friends may think it’s super cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is a cool name! I knew Pokemon when I was younger, but know nothing about the newer generations. It doesn’t stand out as a name from Pokemon to me, but I’m guessing it’s from the newer generations.

I will admit my first thought was Professor [name_u]Oak[/name_u] when I was that title haha. But honestly I think it’s adorable! At worst, it’s a sweet connection to a beloved childhood character :slightly_smiling_face:

I love [name_u]Oak[/name_u] as a middle name!! Use it!

Seems like a very unknown reference and usually won’t be running around calling FN/MN anyway.