Saskia?

Came across this name (via [name]Ben[/name] Folds’s song [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Hamilton[/name]) and would love to get some feedback on it. Spunky? Cool? Funky? Weird? I think a little Sassy would be darling, but I’m just not sold. Does it work for a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl with English/Irish/Swedish heritage? Does it sound pretty? Harsh? [name]Share[/name] your thoughts please!

I actually really like the name, I used it for the main character in one of my stories a while back. And the nn Sassy is really spunky and cute. I don’t think it sounds harsh at all, in fact I think it sounds kind of exotic and different, which is a plus in my book.

I love [name]Saskia[/name], I think it’s a gorgeous, sassy, exotic name. Works well on both a kid and an adult. A family friend of ours is named [name]Saskia[/name] and she is a beautiful Scandinavian woman, so I have nothing but good associations with the name.

I like the name [name]Saskia[/name] a lot. Definitely cool, funky, and independent girl in my mind. Also, I think it is used in Scandinavia (not certain though) so that works with your Swedish roots.

[name]Saskia[/name] is currently the front-runner for our soon-to-arrive daughter! So yeah, I think it’s great. It’s really a Dutch name, but I think it works for a lot of ethnicities.

I am not 100% crazy about the nickname Sassy myself, but that’s mostly because I don’t pronounce it SASS-ki-a, more like SAHS-ki-a. The first is a really British way to say it, I think (but then they also tend to say things like PASS-ta for pasta! :wink: ). The second way is more like how it’s pronounced in the rest of Europe. Plus I’ve met the real [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Hamilton[/name] and she pronounces it SAHS-kee-a. But of course you can say it however you like, if the potential ambiguity doesn’t bother you.

I will say that while I don’t think it’s harsh at all, I’ve talked to a whole lot of people who have reacted to it that way. Shrug.

Yay! My 6 yer old blonde haired blue eyed daughter’s name is [name]Saskia[/name] nn Sassy. It is a great name and I get loads of compliments on it. [name]Love[/name] that it is original but familiar. We are Australian and there aren’t many Saskias around there but now live in [name]London[/name] and there are more here given it is a Dutch name. Use it, it’s beautiful. My daughter is [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] BTW and her twin sister is [name]Milla[/name] [name]Rose[/name].