Sawyer: Boy or Girl?

See the results of this poll: Which?

Respondents: 45 (This poll is closed)

• Boy : 39 (87%)
  • Girl : 0 (0%)
  • Works for both: 6 (13%)

I see it as very boyish and a bit of a bad boy. I associate it with [name_m]Josh[/name_m] Holloway’s character from Lost.

It’s boy all the way for me. Not only because of [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] (do like that reference) but also like @frustratedauthor said because of the character on Lost (I think this is the current reference most people will think of).

Boy! Boy! Boy! Boy! Boy! BOY BOY BOY BOY!!!

Can I emphasize this any more?

Definitely 100% boy to me. It’s mischievous and handsome on a boy - I can’t see it on a girl at all, I’m afraid.

Also… I think the reason [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] is being used on girls is because of the “k” first initial with a “y” ending. Like [name_f]Kinley[/name_f], [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u] (which used to be a boys name I believe), [name_f]Kinsey[/name_f], [name_u]Kiley[/name_u], [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u], etc…

I do not watch Lost so I don’t have the pull to boy.
I’m really neutral with this name. Makes me feel like I’ll never be able to use it, and I do like it.

Yes. You could use bold, italicize, and make it larger print. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is absolutely NOTHING feminine about this name. [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is 100% male.

I voted “works for both,” but I really think of it as a boys’ name.

Boy all the way for me. I can’t see it on a girl actually at all. It feels too masculine in my opinion for a girl.

It’s all boy to me, nothing feminine about it.

No, I don’t consider it a boy name because of [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. It’s an occupation name and once upon a time women didn’t have occupations (except maybe prostitute or cook). [name_m]Even[/name_m] today, sawyers are overwhelmingly men. Naming a girl [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is akin to naming your son Nurse

I also consider it a boy name because there is nothing feminine about it (nor [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]). Some people like masculine names on girls. That’s fine but don’t claim that a man’s name is suddenly feminine because a girl is wearing it.