Sawyer: boy's name or gone to the girls?

So I’m obviously set on names for now but I’ve come across [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] and I really like it for a boy. However, when I was younger, I loved the name for a girl but it was uncommon. Now, I feel like it is more common for the girls. Which gender do you think wears the name better? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s usable or too surnamey??
I just get giddy thinking of a little [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] running around on the playground! Such a spunky name :slight_smile:

The only Sawyers I know are boys. I don’t think of this name as feminine at all - [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is ALL BOY to me! I don’t see a reason for it to not be usable. :slight_smile: xx

I like the name for a boy. I’ve never heard of it on any child, boy or girl, in Australia. The first (and only) time I heard it on a girl is in the show Hostages. I don’t like it on a girl - there are plenty of nice girls’ names out there.

Names don’t “go to the girls” unless parents stop using them for boys out of the irrational fear that their son will somehow be less masculine because he shares his name with females. [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is a boy’s name anyway. In 2012, there were 540 female Sawyers as compared to 2724 male Sawyers. It still leans firmly boy.

Agree with southern.maple that there is no such thing as a name “going to the girls”. Why is a male name somehow ruined for boys if people use them for their daughters? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

That aside though I do believe there are truly unisex names, and I personally consider [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] to be one of them because it’s a surname. Surnames (modern English ones at least) I don’t feel have one specific gender, unless they end in -son, so I consider [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] fair game for boy or girl. Of course there are exceptions, like names that have been used for almost only one gender for a very long time (I’m thinking [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_f]Paige[/name_f]). But I think [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is just as unisex as other new-ish occupation surnames such as [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] and [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]. This is obviously not a ‘rule’ of any kind, just something I personally look at when judging whether or not I think a name is unisex. There could also be other factors that need to be considered for each different name.

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is one of my favourite names for both genders, but I know a lot of people (on nameberry particularily) don’t agree with me about it working for boys and girls equally. Before I started using this website I thought [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] was actually usually considered an exclusively girl’s name just because the only person I knew with the name my whole life was a girl, plus the main character in my favourite movie as a kid was a girl with the name, so I understand that if someone knows a lot of boys named [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], then they’d see it as much more boy-only than I do.

I definitely think boy if I hear [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]!

Yes to this. [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is a unisex name used mostly for boys and even if it was the other way around, it wouldn’t mean that it was unusable for boy. I personally prefer [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] for a boy, but think it suits either gender.

Thanks everyone! I certainly didn’t mean to say it is unusable if it is used on girls…quite frankly, I say use it if you like it. I was just wondering if you viewed the name as more masculine or feminine since I’m aware it can be used on both genders. I love the name for both genders but I’m leaning toward liking it on a boy slightly more. Thanks for the feedback!

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] - girl
[name_m]Sayer[/name_m] - boy

To me [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is for a boy. I have never heard it for a girl

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is not a girl’s name!!! Not!!! At!!! All!!!

I think [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is pretty unisex. Though I prefer it for a boy.

I think [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is really on the fence. It could work equally well for either gender. I like it for both. In my opinion, it’s 50/50.

My thoughts exactly.

All boy. I would seriously have to bite my tongue if someone named their daughter [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. My guess, that someone would be from the next installment of MTVs Teen Mom horror franchise.

On another note, I don’t think this name fits with your others names (classic, biblical for the boys, but not super common).

Especially with the tv show “Lost” so recently on the air, [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is still all boy to me.

It’s all boy to me, nothing feminine about it at all.

ALL GIRL! I can’t see [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] on a boy. It’s so feminine!

My thoughts.