Scale how frilly these names are to you

On a scale of 1 to 10 please rate how frilly you see each of these names. Any ideas about the feel they give you would be wonderful. Thanks!

• [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
3 Likes

Eleanor - 5/10 frilliness - It doesn’t feel frilly at all, but it’s not “unfrilly” either. I picture a sweet, quiet girl who likes to read.

Alexandra - 6/10 frilliness - Slightly frillier than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] but still not frilly. [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] gives me a laid-back, athletic vice.

Penelope - 7/10 frilliness - The frilliest so far, but still not that frilly. It reminds me of the color pink, ballet skirts, and baking cupcakes.

Charlotte - 6/10 frilliness - It’s feminine but I wouldn’t say it’s frilly, probably because of the T ending sound. This is one of my favorite names, I think it fits any personality!

Harper - 2/10 frilliness - Not at all frilly! I imagine a [name_u]Harper[/name_u] to be sweet and sarcastic, and fun to be around.

Olympia - 8/10 frilliness - I would say this feels a bit frilly to me, probably because it’s less common than the others.

Vivian - 6/10 frilliness - I don’t think this is frilly at all. I picture deep purple colors and a girl who loves to do art.

Theodora - 8/10 frilliness - Slightly frilly but simultaneously grounded and heavy. It makes me think of old books and wooden ships.

Lily - 6/10 frilliness - Not really frilly. I think it’s a very sweet and versatile name, fitting any personality.

Bianca - 7/10 frilliness - This isn’t very frilly either. It’s sweet and feminine, and I imagine a girl who loves to read and explore.

Overall, I would say these names are feminine but not that frilly! To me, I think of frilly names as having lots of syllables and soft sounds, like [name_f]Annabella[/name_f] or [name_f]Evangelina[/name_f].

4 Likes

1 being most frilly…

1. Theodora
  2. Olympia
  3. Bianca
  4. Vivian
  5. Alexandra
  6. Penelope
  7. Eleanor
  8. Lily
  9. Charlotte
  10. Harper (not frilly at all)

Tbh none of these really scream frilly to me

1 Like

Frilly names, by my definition, are the epitome of girliness with lots of light, liquid sounds – e.g. [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Luciana[/name_f], [name_f]Angelina[/name_f], etc. (But also some cutesy names like Ellie and Lottie.) So I judged this list based on that definition. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - 1/10 Not frilly. It feels very feminine, classy, and intelligent.
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 1/10 Not frilly. [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is strong, powerful, and refined.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 6/10 Not really frilly. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] feels spunky and bright. It has the light and airy el and p sounds, which give it a girlyness, but I wouldn’t say it’s super frilly.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - 4/10 It’s elegant and [name_u]French[/name_u], but not super frilly.
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 0/10 This doesn’t even feel very feminine to me, much less frilly.
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 3/10 A little softer than [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] because of its sound, but same vibe.
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 2/10 The [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]- part is a little cutesy in and of itself, but with the strong -n ending it feels very sharp, not really frilly.
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 1/10 Very feminine, but the sounds are quite sturdy, like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], and not frilly.
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 8/10 I would say this is the frilliest on your list. It’s light, liquid, and girly.
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 2/10 That sharp c edges out any frilliness, I think.

i would like to preface this by saying that i really love some frilly names like arabella and rosie this is purely based on how they sound to me :))

Eleanor - 2/10 feels like quite a strong, sturdy and elegant name to me not frilly.

Alexandra - 1/10 the strong ‘x’ sound and the potentially masculine nickname ‘alex’ make this the opposite of frilly to me, it’s refined and strong.

Penelope - 6/10 quite light and lyrical, almost cutesy sounding so i would say this leans on the frilly side.

Charlotte - 4/10 i think the strong ‘tt’ sound balances this name out, it’s not very frilly to me. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] on the other hand has a very cutesy, frilly vibe because of its ending.

Harper - 1/10 not at all frilly to me, has quite an edgy, neutral feel.

Olympia - 8/10 this is quite frilly sounding due to its flowy, lyrical feel.

Vivian - 1/10 similar vibe to harper for me. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] on the other hand would probably be a 5/10.

Theodora - 7/10 i’d say this is quite frilly because of the ending but the strong ‘d’ sound balances it out well. I love [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] by the way!

Lily - 9/10 i’d say lily is the most frilly! (on this list) it’s cutesy, floral and has the ‘l’ and ‘ee’ sounds and a flowy feel.

Bianca - 2/10 [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] has strong sounds that make it seem the opposite to frilly in my opinion.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there! 10 being really frilly (which isn’t a bad thing)
I think:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] 8/10 - Such a beauitful name, it gives me the same vibes as [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], which is lace dresses and elegant cocktail parties. It’s so popular these days however, that the images and vibes [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] could bring up can also be quite modern.

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] 7/10 - This name is very regal and strong to me, a timeless classic.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] 8/10 - This is an adorable and trendy name. I picture a studious & quirky girl

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] 5/10 - I don’t think it’s frilly, although it is feminine sounding.

[name_u]Harper[/name_u] 2/10 - This is a great unisex name choice, not frilly at all, and it brings images of music & an adventurous child

[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] 4/10 - Another strong name, but definitely not frilly in my opinion

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] 5/10 - I love this name, but it isn’t as frilly as I find [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], which then i would rate a 9/10

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] 5/10 - I can see the frilliness, but I can also see it on the spectrum I see [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] & [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], which is strong yet feminine. They all make me think quills & scrolls

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] 5/10 - I find this name to be on the softer side, but maybe because it’s short and sweet is why I don’t see it as frilly. A frillier version would be [name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] 6/10 - This name is perfectly balanced to me, between not being too frilly & still very feminine.

Eleanor 4/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] 3/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] 8/10
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] 9/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] 3/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] 8/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] 8/10
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] 5/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] 5/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] 7/10

1-10 frilly scale

1 means zero frills, short and to the point, no girliness here
10 means extremely feminine and fancy, to the point that it might be limiting to wear

Eleanor- 7
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]- 3
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]- 8
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]- 7
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]- 4
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]- 9
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]- 7
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]-10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]- 4
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]- 5

I love your descriptions!

1 Like

Eleanor - 2/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 8/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 8/10
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - 2/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 3/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 8/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 2/10
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 9/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 6/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 6/10

• Eleanor: 6
  • Alexandra: 4
  • Penelope: 8
  • Charlotte: 6
  • Harper:; 5
  • Olympia: 8
  • Vivian: 3
  • Theodora: 6
  • Lily: 4
  • Bianca: 6

Eleanor - 2/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 2/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 2/10
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - 4/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 2/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 3/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 1/10
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 3/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 5/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 4/10

none of these names really come off as frilly to me!! Most of them are nice and feminine, but not over the top. I chose [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as the most frilly because of the soft sounds and the gentle imagery, but it’s really not that frilly at all :sweat_smile: the most frilly names I can think of on the spot are [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] :slightly_smiling_face:

Eleanor 7
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] 6
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] 6
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] 8
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] 5- more sassy than frilly
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] 5- more strong than frilly
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] 7
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] 6- more nerdy than frilly
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] 8
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] 6

Eleanor - 2, feminine but not frilly
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 6
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 7
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - 6
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 0, not frilly at all
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 8
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 5
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 4
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 6
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 6

Those are different from what I’d describe as frilly, names like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Annabella[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] etc.

1 Like

Eleanor 8/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] 1/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] 6/10
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] 6/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] 0/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] 1/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] 5/10
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] 7/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] 7/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] 5/10

I don’t really see any of these names as frilly. Names like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/Charlotte/Eleanor are the classics.

To me frilly names are names like
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]

Honestly, none of these names seem frilly!

Eleanor- 3/10. This doesn’t strike me as frilly at all; it seems contained and dignified.

Alexandra- 5/10. The sounds of this name are a bit too strong to seem frilly.

Penelope- 4/10. This has a fun sound, but it doesn’t seem frilly.

Charlotte- 6/10. The frilliest of your list.

Harper- 2/10. This doesn’t seem frilly at all!

Olympia- 3/10. This seems regal, not frilly.

VivĂ­an- 2/10. Not frilly at all, especially considering it is a unisex name.

Theodora- 3/10. This has strong sounds- not frilly at all.

Lily- 4/10- This has the light sounds of some frilly names, but it’s so simple that it doesn’t feel a bit frilly.

Bianca- 5/10. Feminine but not very frilly!

From least frilly to most frilly:

1. Olympia
  2. Vivian
  3. Bianca
  4. Harper
  5. Eleanor
  6. Alexandra
  7. Lily
  8. Penelope
  9. Charlotte
  10. Theodora

None of these are super frilly to me, though! I’d say they’re all a 6/10 or lower frilliness. [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] is the exception to that with it probably scoring more like an 8/10 for me.

Eleanor - 4/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 5/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 3/10
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - 2/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 1/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 5/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 0/10
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 6/10
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 2/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 5/10

Elanor - 5/10
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - 4/10
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - 6.2/10

Charlotte - 7.5/10
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - 2/10
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] - 9/10
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - 6.5/10 ([name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] would be a lot more frilly to me)
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 3/10 with the nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u], 5.5/10 otherwise
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - 8/10
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - 8.5/10