Scout - Standalone or Nickname Only?

Recently, I’ve rediscovered the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and I’m smitten with it. I’ve really only heard it as a NN for [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], but do you think it could stand alone as a first name? Also, what other names/combos do you think could have [name_u]Scout[/name_u] for a NN?

I think of [name_u]Scout[/name_u] as more of a nickname that could be used with anything. Kind of like “[name_m]Son[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Champ[/name_m]” or “Kid.” I never thought of using it as a nickname for [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], but I think that works well. Anything with a prominent S and K sound makes the most sense to me. Maybe [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u], [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u], or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. I don’t personally like it as a first name on it’s own although I think in this day and age it would work. If you do use it as a standalone name I think it would need a longer, frillier middle name. Something like [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Leilani[/name_f] or [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] or [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

I would not recommend [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] as those are both names of [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m]’ and [name_f]Demi[/name_f] [name_m]Moore[/name_m]'s daughters.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] is very literary to me and works fine on its own. I do prefer a longer version but [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] seems overly feminine and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is very masculine, so to me they sound off together. Like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] going by [name_u]Lyle[/name_u] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] going by [name_m]Abel[/name_m].

I prefer [name_u]Scout[/name_u] for a boy as it seems masculine to me (like a Boy [name_u]Scout[/name_u]). I know there is the literary association from To Kill a Mockingbird but even then [name_u]Scout[/name_u] was a nickname for [name_u]Jean[/name_u] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. I think it’s usable as a first name but should be paired with feminine mn in case she doesn’t like to go by it. Or just use it as a nickname.