Seamus nn Sea?

The name [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] nn [name_f]Sea[/name_f] (pronounced “shay”) came to me out of nowhere this morning. I’ve been a fan of [name_f]Shea[/name_f] for quite a while, but I think I prefer full first names that are slightly longer, so I think it may have some potential.

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] was never on my radar before, I think because I envision an older man, or a sea captain. Does anyone else get this? What does [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] evoke for you? Is proximity to the word “shame” a problem?

There is also the issue of it perhaps being “too Irish” for an American, though I do have [name_m]Irish[/name_m] ancestry and live in an area where it is the predominant ethnicity. How difficult do you think pronunciation would be? I realize [name_f]Shea[/name_f] is much more intuitive than [name_f]Sea[/name_f], but I do like both.

Finally, any suggestions for middles? Open to all styles.
A few family names in mind: [name_m]Alonso[/name_m], [name_m]Clark[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], L0ughlin, Nels0n, Russe11

Thanks!

(Not expecting, just collecting.)

1 Like

I like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] a lot! Would you say [name_f]Sea[/name_f] like [name_f]Shea[/name_f] or the word sea? I too think of the sea… probably because “sea” is the first three letters of the name; but I do remember reading some poem in high school by a [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] someone or other and I think it had something to do with the sea.

Mostly though, I just think of the actor who played the detective on [name_m]Castle[/name_m] lol. The one I’ve met in real life was annoying and rather crass, but it’s been years since I saw him and it mostly has lovely associations for me. I would love to meet (or maybe even have) a(nother) [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] one day!

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! It does give seafarer but also a bearded poet at a desk, writing away, pushing up glasses, taking a sip of sherry. It’s a romantic, windswept name.

I think [name_f]Sea[/name_f] is a cool nn, though is spell it [name_f]Shay[/name_f] or [name_f]Sea[/name_f] but not [name_f]Shea[/name_f]. I’m in Australia where most people would be familiar with this name, I’d say (I’d shay, :drum:).

I like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] L0ughlin* or Nels0n. (*would spell it Lachlan). Maybe [name_m]Russell[/name_m] but it’s not the easiest to say. [name_m]Clark[/name_m] flows well but feels like ending/last name - so would depend on the last name. I like [name_m]Alonso[/name_m] too- it’s just the “salonz” word/sound that’s putting me off as a drag [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] into [name_m]Alonso[/name_m].
Otherwise:

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_f]Kiernan[/name_f]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_f]Fallon[/name_f]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Toby[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Baxter[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Farley[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Everett[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Evan/Owen/Rowan/Ewen
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Pierrre
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Finley[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] has a rugged, outdoorsy vibe to me - it gives me shepherd/farmer vibes but I can also see it as being quite studious and smart.

I’m not sure how the pn would be where you are as I’m in the UK, and both Sean/Seamus are fairly familiar here :person_shrugging:

[name_f]My[/name_f] main association is a chimpanzee from a show called Monkey Life / a monkey rescue sanctuary called Monkey World - I think that is very niche though :grin:

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m], [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Russe11 and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] L0ughlin would be nice!

I’d suggest:

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Rory[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Ward[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Logan[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Linden[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Rex[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Jude[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Toby[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Elliott[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! It’s one of my favorites. Very handsome & charming & interesting. I much prefer the nn [name_f]Shea[/name_f] though. [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] is only a name that is always said Shay-mus. But [name_f]Sea[/name_f] is a common word that is said ‘see’. I have a thirteen year old nephew who is [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] nn [name_f]Shay[/name_f]. I don’t mind that spelling either. I don’t think that it’s too [name_m]Irish[/name_m] if you have some [name_m]Irish[/name_m] ancestry. And I’ve never thought of the ‘shame’ thing before.

[name_f]My[/name_f] nephew does get ‘See-miss’ sometimes. But it’s worth it to have such a cool [name_m]Irish[/name_m] name. At least his mom says that. :joy: I don’t think he cares either. I don’t really picture an old sea captain, but maybe it’s because I know a Seamus…who is definitely not an old sea captain. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a young boy who is quiet & cleverly funny & intense about his martial arts. :grin:

I like [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m], [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] & [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] L0ughlin a lot from your family names. Other middle ideas…

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Cillian[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Finlay[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Owen[/name_m]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_f]Reilly[/name_f]

[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! So underused. I think it could work in the US but you may have some people pronouncing it “sea-muss”.

1 Like

Yes [name_f]Sea[/name_f] would be pronounced like Shea; basically the first syllable of [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I am an ocean lover so I guess I can dig the vibe.

1 Like

One more question for you guys: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] nn [name_f]Shea[/name_f] or simply [name_f]Shea[/name_f] as a first name?