Sebastian, Nicolai or a whole new name?

Ok we are 12 weeks pregnant [name]Monday[/name] [name]Jan[/name]. 22. We still have 6 weeks until the appt. where we find the gender =)

We have our girl name set [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Valora[/name] J____. Everyone we have let know besides one has loved it as we do not that it would change our mind if they didn’t

Our problem is we each love a different boy name! So either one of us needs to “give in” or we need a third name that fits into what we both seem to like.

My pick is [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]James[/name] J___
His pick is [name]Nicolai[/name] “[name]Nico[/name]” [name]James[/name] J_____

Help coming up with a third that will make us both love it =)

They’re both great choices. [name]Do[/name] you think as the pregnancy progresses you might mutually select one or the other, or do they both really need to be abandoned?

Are you interesting in combining to [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Nicolai[/name] / [name]Nicolai[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name]?

Suggestions, since you seem to like formal names ending with R (some have some Slavic flair like [name]Nicolai[/name]):

[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Balthasar[/name]
[name]Caspar[/name]
[name]Casimir[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Frasier[/name]
[name]Gregor[/name]
[name]Ivor[/name]
Jaromir
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Macallister[/name]
[name]Palmer[/name]
[name]Rainier[/name]
[name]Schuyler[/name]
[name]Spenser[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Whitaker[/name]

It might but at the moment neither of us are budging and since we still have a while to wait it isn’t a big deal lol everyone thinks it is going to be a girl so this may get to wait a while =) I will show [name]Skyler[/name] the list though Thanks!

I love [name]Sebastian[/name] and want to use it for a son someday. I do like [name]Nicolai[/name], particularly the nickname of [name]Nico[/name], but I think it would be confused with the more straightforward [name]Nicholas[/name], which can still be a path to [name]Nico[/name] (I have one in my second grade class this year.)

Here are some other ideas you might like.

[name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Hadrian[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name]
[name]Alonzo[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Auberon[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Emanuel[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Christian[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] & [name]Sebastian[/name] are perfect together, so if you have more children I’d prefer that sibset so my vote goes to [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]James[/name].

I do like [name]Nicolai[/name], prefer the sp. [name]Nikolai[/name] though and the nickname [name]Nico[/name]/[name]Niko[/name] is cool but it’s near as nice as [name]Sebastian[/name] for me.

Some ideas…
[name]Malachi[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Orion[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Elias[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Ulysses[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Emmanuel[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Samson[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Cortland[/name] [name]James[/name]

I like both [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Nicolai[/name] a lot. [name]Sebastian[/name] is in my top 10.

I like [name]Sebastian[/name] more but it was at #68 in 2011 (USA stats). [name]Nicolai[/name] didn’t rank in the top 1000. [name]Nico[/name] was at #496. So if you want him to be the only child with his name in school, I would go with [name]Nicolai[/name].

Other suggestions:
[name]Lucian[/name] “[name]Luca[/name]” - it ends in “ian” like [name]Sebastian[/name] but has the same European feel as [name]Nico[/name].
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name] - it can also have the nn [name]Nico[/name] or [name]Nic[/name].
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Marco[/name]
[name]Gregor[/name] or [name]Gregory[/name]

Thanks everyone! Some great names! A couple I love that we can’t use because in my very large and extended family we have a little of everything. Or in the case of [name]Alexander[/name] I’m already [name]Alix[/name] =p
I really am liking
[name]Lucian[/name]- Was on our list awhile ago
[name]Crispin[/name]- love it DH says it sounds like Crispy aka Crispy [name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]- Nice name not too common
[name]Tristan[/name]- loved forever
[name]Whitaker[/name]- More like just the [name]Whit[/name] part for whatever reason

Lol at [name]Christabel[/name] we live in western Kentucky I think either name or almost all names suggested here will be the only one in his class =p Not a ton of diversity over here

@blade I was looking at [name]Schuyler[/name] and saying it “Shoe-ler” kinda liking and then clicked the link…it’s [name]Skyler[/name] hahaha so that gets crossed out since DH is [name]Skyler[/name] =/ that was a surprise I need to broaden my pronunciations, I’m blaming this on being from the South since when reading different pronunciations I say them all the same…fail much =)

I have a friend with a nephew named [name]Sebastian[/name] and, I’m not sure if this would bother you or not, but it irks her that there is no natural sounding nn. They family uses ‘[name]Seb[/name]’ but she says it just doesn’t feel right…

mhmm no i don’t think it really bugs me, I would prolly say [name]Seb[/name] or [name]Bastian[/name] lol my DH said if we went with [name]Sebastian[/name] he may call him Sea or Sea Bass =)

But I grew up without a nickname so it never bothered me, my DH is almost always called [name]Sky[/name] by his older friends and family instead of [name]Skyler[/name]

[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name] nn [name]Nico[/name]
[name]Dmitri[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]

[name]Edit[/name]: Sorry there are lots of doubles D;

I prefer [name]Nicolai[/name] [name]James[/name]. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Nicolai[/name]. [name]Sebastian[/name] is nice, but getting a little too common for my liking.