Second Thoughts on Middle Name

[name_f]My[/name_f] DH (dear husband) and I decided on the first name [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] for our first son (currently 28 weeks.) We’ll call him [name_u]Finn[/name_u] for short, but I have always adored longer first names with short, obvious nicknames, so [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] it is.

We were initially going to go with [name_u]Finley[/name_u], but [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] grew on us.

The middle name we have had picked out for most of the pregnancy is [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. It’s an honor name, as DH (dear husband) and I both have brothers named [name_u]Michael[/name_u] that we are very close to.

[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], though…its quite a mouthful. Or do you think it could work? Also, DH (dear husband) is on the fence about going against his family tradition of naming the first born son after the paternal grandfather (in this case, DH’s father.)

DH’s great grandpa is [name_m]Charles[/name_m], so FIL’s middle name is [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. DH’s grandpa is named [name_m]David[/name_m], so that’s DH’s middle name. DH’s dad’s name is [name_u]Lee[/name_u], so if we followed tradition, his name would be [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u].

Also, I forgot to mention, we announced our name on social media a few weeks ago. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin is also having a boy, and she just announced this morning that she’s naming her son [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I know that nobody has a claim on a certain name but now its kind of just turned me off of [name_u]Michael[/name_u] a little bit, even though I only see this cousin once a year, if that.

Which would you choose?

• Finnegan Michael
  • Finnegan Lee

0 voters

If the [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] thing bothers you, I’d steer clear. I know if it were me in your shoes knowing that I had considered both [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] would make both names feel a little less special to hear they were used together by a relative.

I quite like [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. It is springy and bright. He sounds young but it will age well. If the family tradition feels like a weight then go with something different, but it is a great combo and following a tradition can feel nice when a good combo can be found.

1 Like

Congratulations on your son! I love the name [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m].

I’d go with [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] in your shoes too. [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] are extremely close. If it was your absolute dream name, I’d say go for it anyway, but since you’re on the fence anyway then I’d definitely recommend going with the more distinctive choice.

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

I don’t think [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is a mouthful, and I actually really like it… But I understand why it might turn you off if your cousin, however un-close she is to you, is using such a similar name.

Finnegan [name_u]Lee[/name_u] also sounds great, but… Then his name will be [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], while your cousin’s is [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. I don’t know if that would bother you or not, but it’s worth pointing out, I think. But that’s not to say I’d recommend scrapping it just because of that. I really like the names together, and it does away with the whole two [name_m]Fin[/name_m]- names with the same middle name in one family. So, [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] got my vote.

1 Like

I’d go with [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]! It has such a nice ring to it and avoids being too similar to [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]

I would choose [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. For me, the name [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is so sturdy and grounding. It also has a great meaning: “like the [name_m]Lord[/name_m]”.

I would say [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. It’s going to be a rare occasion, if ever, that you will use nickname and middle name together. Another option would be to use [name_u]Micah[/name_u], a variation of [name_u]Michael[/name_u].

I voted [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Here’s why:

1. Using your husband’s middle name follows a longstanding family tradition, which, when your son is finally born, will probably feel important to your husband. In fact, your son may wonder why he’s not named in that way if you’d choose not to. It will mean a lot to your husband if you go with this one.

2. It’s handsome! You were concerned about the length of [name_u]Michael[/name_u] anyway. (Which, I don’t think is too long.)

Good luck, and feel good!

I actually prefer the sound of [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]! So if you’re gong to keep [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] go with [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. Plus [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_f]May[/name_f] stir up the song of “There was an old man named [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]…” [name_f]My[/name_f] only reservation is I’m just in a sense looking into the future and wondering If your future son is going to have trouble using [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] as a middle name???

While reading through your post, I was on the [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] train all the way up until the end, where you mentioned that there will be a cousin named [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. That would be a huge turn off for me as well.

I agree with others that [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is fun, fresh, and full of bounce. I also like that [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] is essentially [name_u]Finley[/name_u], so the cousins would have a little [name_f]Easter[/name_f] egg connection.

If those are your final two options, I’d go with [name_u]Lee[/name_u].

I have a thing about names within the family being too similar so I voted for [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. It’s a gorgeous combo too!
Also thought of the [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] song connection pp mentioned.