Selene pronounced an alternate way

I recently heard one [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation of [name_f]Selene[/name_f] and have fallen in love with the sound ever since. I’d like an outside opinion on the pronunciation of this name. I know the intuitive pronunciation would be sell-leen, but would sell-len-nay work as well? I found the pron. with the accent on the last e, as in Selené. What are your thoughts?

I like the sound of it and the accent would make me pause to consider the pronunciation. I think I’ve seen it as Séléné too? I do think you might have to correct people if you live in a non-French speaking place but if [name_f]Esme[/name_f] works, people should be able to get used to it

1 Like

I would need to see the accent mark to get your preferred pronunciation

1 Like

That’s right! Séléné would be pronounced the same way. I find the names that end in the -nay sound so pretty and soft, most of them are [name_m]French[/name_m]. I wouldn’t mind making the correction since I grew up with a name that some people didn’t know how to pronounce right away.

1 Like

Which one do you prefer? Séléné or Selené?
(Or rather, which one is more proper?)

In Spanish [name_f]Selene[/name_f] is pronouced se-LEN-ey, with no accent marks, so seeing [name_f]Selene[/name_f] written down that pronunciation would come to my mind as well as se-LEEN. To make it clear though, I like Séléné a lot! With just one accent at the end it makes me want to put the stress on only the last e, like-sel-le-NE which sounds odd to me .

1 Like

I’m more familiar with Sélène as a [name_m]French[/name_m] form of [name_f]Selene[/name_f], not Séléné or Selené, and that is more like say-LEHN (which I have to say, I prefer the most), but I do think it would be hard to enforce seh-len-ay, I do think you would need either Séléné or Selené… which may be problematic, depending on where you live… last I’d heard the US was not allowing accents on birth certificates, although it appears that that may have changed for some states; I did see legislation has been introduced where accents may be allowed in my own state starting as soon as a couple months from now. Other states already allow the use of diuretics from what I can tell. But if you’re in a state that doesn’t… I think [name_f]Selene[/name_f] said like seh-len-ay might be hard to enforce.

Good luck!

I’ve always pronounced this name as Say-leen.

Anyway, I think the only way it would work is if you live in a [name_m]French[/name_m] speaking region/country. If you are in the U.S. it would probably be too difficult for most people.