Seraphina/Serafina

I know some people love this name and some hate it. Its actually out of my usual love list but it happens to be the ONLY one my hubs and i agree on. So at this point, if baby is a girl this will be her name. Her MN will be a family MN of [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. DH loves the [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] spelling. Something about the PH puts me off. Reminds of [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] which gives me this very 80’s/Full House vibe. I prefer [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] for this reason. Online there seems to be a general love of the PH spelling and a hatred for the F spelling. I think most of you have a very elegant taste in names, so WDYT?

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]
or
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]

I’ve recently read a blog post about a similar spelling issue ([name_f]Ofelia[/name_f] / [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]) and found that one very interesting. The author talked about how the ph spelling looks more sophisticated and aristocratic, while the f spelling looks more “approachable” and friendly. I think that is the case with [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] / [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] as well.
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] / [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] is a gorgeous name.

Honestly, I like both for different reasons.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] is soft and ethereal. Makes me think of clouds and angels and harp music and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] is fiery and spunky. Makes me think of sun and gold and flying. Makes me feel warm, but definitely not fuzzy. Strong.

So, I guess it depends on if you want a name that is soft and comfortable, or spunky and strong.

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]'s much more beautiful and refined, [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] looks like someone’s trying to hard to me. It’s adding frills to frills, what’s the point?

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]'s got the cool witch in His Dark Materials, and one of my friends is named [name_f]Serafina[/name_f].

Honestly I really like both spellings, but I slightly prefer the “ph” spelling because it hearkens back to its origins related to the [name_m]Seraphim[/name_m] choir of angels, but I know that in most modern romance languages the f has taken prevalence.

And I agree with Miss Otter about the awesome HDM reference

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is lovely!

I prefer [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]. I think the ph spelling looks too “angelic”, while the f spelling seems more like a legitimate name.

Oh how I love this name!!! I like both, but slightly prefer the ph.

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] was our top choice for a long time, and I still think about it as a middle name. The character from His Dark Materials is why we love it, so that’s why I prefer this spelling. I do like [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] as well, but I agree that it’s adding frills to frills. If that’s what you’re going for, that’s the spelling for you. I get very different imagery from the two spellings.