Seriously considering Ewan

I am liking this name alot lately, it is a diminutive/other form of a saint (john), it’s a nature meaning (born of the yew tree) and its got a scottish gaelic vibe which my husband loves. Is it a bit to odd for the united states? I would pronounce it Yoo-an. Does it fit with E.merson, W.idler and R.owan? I’m aware the similar ending but at least the E doesn’t pronounce like an E name would usually. Considering Ewan Forrest as the full name…

Thoughts?

1 Like

It’s not odd at all! I think it’s lovely and widely familiar in the US thanks to [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] MacGregor.

Personally, I wouldn’t use it with [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] because of the very similar endings, but if you’ve considered that and decided it doesn’t bother you then I think it’s an excellent stylistic fit for your boys.

6 Likes

Thank you. I’m going to practice calling them all and see if the similar sounds are too much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yoo-an might not be the first pronunciation you get but otherwise I think it’s fine. I really like [name_u]Evan[/name_u]! I think it’s related and common in the US.

1 Like

I had the same reaction as @katinka - to me it seems a little too similar to R.owan. I don’t think it’s too similar to E.merson at all. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is great on its own merits, and I think [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] MacGregor has made the name relatively recognizable/pronounceable.

1 Like

I really love [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. It had such a lovely sound, and a warm, handsome vibe.

Personally, I don’t feel that it matches your sibset and it’s a bit too similar to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] for me, but I’m super particular about sibsets. You may not be, and if it doesn’t bother you than go for it! It’s definitely a great name.

1 Like

Ewan [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is so rugged and gorgeous! I think it totally fits the vibe of your boys!

1 Like

Thanks everyone… It is quite similar to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]… Its probably too similar

Ewan is lovely and I don’t think it’s relatively similar to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], aside from the “wan” ending. The beginning sounds separate them from each other a good bit. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is darling and I think [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] McGregor is fairly recognised here in the US. Also, [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_f]Cena[/name_f] played a character with the name in the show Psych. It’s got some stable ground I’d say

1 Like

I like [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] a lot! I think I might like the [name_m]Euan[/name_m] spelling just a tiny bit more though. Either way, I think it fits in perfectly with the sibling names and [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is such a great middle!

1 Like

I just want to say— there’s a [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] at my school. He gets made fun of a bit for his name being more unique so just a heads-up :slight_smile: Not trying to dissuade you, but just something to keep in mind.

1 Like

That sucks because [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is a fantastic name. Our son is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and we took [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] off the list when he was born, because we feel they’re too similar.

1 Like

Hi there.

I love [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. It’s probably number one on my personal list. I love [name_m]Colm[/name_m] too, but it’s just too difficult. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] is my favorite usable name. I’m in the U.S., & I think it totally works. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] McGregor is well known enough, right? I feel like it’s pretty simple anyway. I personally think that it’s a little bit close to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. If it’s the only name that you guys agree on, it might be okay. But I do think that it’s pretty close.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ewan is lovely, not too odd at all! However, since you already have a R.owan I wouldn’t use it as they’re too similar for me.

1 Like

Yes that’s the problem. I think they are too similar when I say them out loud. [name_u]Boo[/name_u] we were so close too :sob:

I ADORE the name [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]! I think with the actor [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] McGregor being well-known people won’t mess up the pronunciation. I’m in the states and I’ve never heard anyone mispronounce it.

Emerson, [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], and [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] make a wonderful set too! I think [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] ties together the w’s in [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] but has that strong, soft E sound to match [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], which also keeps it from being too similar to [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] despite sharing the same ending. I absolutely love each name individually and together. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] is PERFECTION! All around just a stunning set of names :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like it! But I’m not liking the middle name [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] with it much sorry 🥲 whoops why have I replied to @katinka :eyes:

1 Like

Rowan and [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] said together is a mouthful!

I’m Hawaiian, so my instinct would be to pronounce it ay-waw or ay-vawn-uh, just a note. :slight_smile: I think most [name_f]English[/name_f]-speakers would say ew-in or [name_u]Evan[/name_u].