Shark Names

So, my husband is crazy obsessed with sharks. He fishes of the beach for them (to tag and release them, NOT to kill.) He’s extremely active in oceanic conservation-especially sharks.

We’ve been putting together our list of baby names, since we’re about a year from starting the adoption process. I started thinking about including sharks somehow as a middle name.

So far, all I’ve come up with is Mako.

What do you guys think? Does it seem more masculine or feminine to you?

Anyone have any other “shark” suggestions or do you guys think this is a ridiculous idea?

Thanks!

I don’t think it’s necessary to pay tribute to every hobby and interest in your child’s name. I really love dogs, but you will not find Labrador or Dachshund on my name list.

Mako is feminine, but then again, I’m familiar with japanese names, so I know it’s a girl name (there’s even a japanese princess with this name).

And no, sorry, I can’t think of any other shark-related names. What about something with ocean feel in general? As in [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], etc? :slight_smile:

Sharul- apparently this is a male name meaning shark. I can’t verify the information to be reliable

Tiburon- of Spanish origin meaning shark

Keto- again, this is unverified information. But apparently this means “sea monster” in Greek. And was a goddess of sharks, whales, etc. in mythology.

[name_u]Finn[/name_u] could be a reference to sharks

Or any ocean names like the previous posted suggested. A favourite one is [name_u]Kai[/name_u]. You could also simply use [name_u]Ocean[/name_u] as a middle name.

Interestingly, I’ve met a Mako (male) before - the word is of Maori origin (well, so Wikipedia told me), so it’s not an unheard of word where I am in NZ - but still obvious & unusual for a name even here. I would advise against it, as @southern.maple has said - I wouldn’t want to push some hobbies into weird/obvious names.

Go for something very subtle! A name you like that happens to hold a small connection that won’t be discerned by a passerby - say, hearing ‘Anakin’ at the local playground - where you wouldn’t think twice about hearing a ‘Luke’. Above suggestion of Finn is great!

How about Marco? Sounds the same but is a recognised male’s name. Or there is the variant - Marcus.
Ray - As in a sting-ray, cool middle name?

Quite like Marcus Ray… Or Finn Marcus…

I’d put them in the middle as more of a guilty pleasure. Another idea is to include some of the more scientific names (Isurus for Mako, Carcharias for the Great White, etc), but I’d definitely put these in the middle.

I think as long as they’re in the middle they’re fine. Your husband would probably be able to come up with many that he likes, if he likes this idea.

Nobody’s mentioned Jaws yet.

I think it’s kind of sweet you want to pay tribute to your husbands hobby with your child’s name, and I think Mako is just subtle enough that it has meaning to you and your husband, but it won’t seem painfully obvious to anyone that meets your child. I think Mako could go either way— it’s a feminine Japanese name (like Mako [name_m]Mori[/name_m], from the movie [name_m]Pacific[/name_m] Rim), but the O ending for male names is common in the Western world. I also like the idea of finding the scientific names of sharks and deriving the name from one of those.

I love the idea of incorporating a hobby in the name, it’s a neat idea.

Shark names:
[name_u]Blue[/name_u] - [name_u]Blue[/name_u] Shark
[name_m]Reef[/name_m] - [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark, Blacktip [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark, Caribbean [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark, [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark, Whitetip [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark
Mako - Mako Shark, Shortfin Mako Shark
[name_u]Gray[/name_u] - [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Reef[/name_m] Shark
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] - [name_m]Port[/name_m] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] Shark
Thresher - Thresher Shark

Water names:
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_u]Bay[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_f]Maris[/name_f]
[name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_u]Beck[/name_u]
[name_m]Marco[/name_m]
[name_u]Ocean[/name_u]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Bo[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlin[/name_u]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Harbor[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Marin[/name_f]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Wade[/name_u]

I agree. People name their children after trees and food (hello - [name_f]Apple[/name_f]) and other things - giving your child a name reflecting something that you’re passionate about is super cute.

[name_u]Ocean[/name_u]/Water Inspired:
[name_f]Azure[/name_f]
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Delta[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Coral[/name_f]
[name_m]Seaton[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Deniz[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Laiken[/name_u]
Triton
[name_m]Zale[/name_m]

You could also find names (some strange, some normal!) in certain genus of sharks:

Carchar (Carcharodon carcharias - Great white shark)
Isurus (Isurus oxyrinchus - Shortfin mako shark)
Isodon (Centrophorus isodon - Blackfin gulper shark)
Deania (Deania calcea - Birdbeak dogfish)
[name_f]Isis[/name_f] (Isistius brasiliensis - Cookiecutter shark)
[name_m]Tomi[/name_m] (Euprotomicroides zantedeschia - Taillight shark)
[name_f]Leola[/name_f] (Aculeola nigra - Hooktooth dogfish)
[name_u]Carter[/name_u] (Etmopterus carteri - Cylindrical lanternshark)
[name_m]Garrick[/name_m] (Scymnodalatias garricki - Azores dogfish)
[name_u]Whitney[/name_u] (Mustelus whitney - Humpback smooth-hound)
[name_f]Asteria[/name_f] (Mustelus asterias - [name_f]Starry[/name_f] smooth-hound)

For a unisex option how about [name_u]Angel[/name_u], as in the angel shark? I think a name meaning or relating to the ocean might work better though.