Shenoa

Thoughts on the name Shenoa? I heard it the other day for the first time and it sounds so beautiful to me. I like the nickname [name]Noa[/name] too. From the little research that I’ve done, it appears to be Native American. Would it be odd for a European-Canadian to have this name?

I once had a student named Chenoa in my [name]Sunday[/name] school class; definitely a one-of-a-kind name. I am not sure of the origin; she was mixed, black and white, but it suited her well. It has a happy, bubbly feel to it.

From what I understand Chenoa is a Native American name meaning dove. I think it’s usable especially with the nicknames [name]Jen[/name] or [name]Noa[/name]

it’s unique!

I perfer Chenoa and [name]Rinoa[/name], but Shenoa is still very nice! I think that [name]Noa[/name] is an adorable nickname for a little girl.

Many Native Americans disagree that “dove” is the meaning. According to other sources, it was the Native word for the Kentucky [name]River[/name]. Anyways, I really like it.

I knew a girl whose given name was Shenandoah and she sometimes went by Shenoa.

If you’re white and non-Native, I wouldn’t. Especially if you have no ties to any Native community.

Ditto this. Not only that, it’s not proven to be a Native American name.