Shiloh, Arlo, Ezra

Hey all!

I am a non-binary (possibly genderfluid) 18yo, and I use any pronouns. I have been name-hunting for quite some time, and perhaps I’m just indecisive, but I have struggled to find the right name. I want something that is gender-neutral, fits my age, and is somewhat familiar but not super popular. In the past I have tried [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], but it felt too masculine/young. Currently I am using [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] with very close friends, and I like it, but I am not sure if it is too feminine. So, while I haven’t entirely given up on [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], I am back to looking at ideas. One name that I kind of like, though it is fairly masculine, is [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]. I like the sound, and it feels more mature than [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]. This got me thinking about other biblical -a/-ah names: [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_u]Micah[/name_u], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Elisha[/name_u], Judah… but most are either too masculine or don’t work because of personal reasons (I love [name_u]Micah[/name_u] and [name_u]Elisha[/name_u], but I am too close to people with those names.)

So, my questions for you, my friends, are: of these three names, which do you think makes the most sense for a non-binary 18yo? And, are there any similar names that I might like?

I like [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]! [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] feels totally neutral to me, and a bit more mature compared to [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] & [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]

1 Like

You might like [name_u]Ezri[/name_u] or [name_u]Ezer[/name_u]? Those are my favorite [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] variations and I think because they are less popular they seem more like they could fit any gender.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, at the end of the day, any name makes sense for a non-binary person! I think Shiloh is underappreciated and I do enjoy seeing it when I glance at your usercard (: That being said, my next pick would be Ezra. Have you considered both? Ezra Shiloh and Shiloh Ezra work well imo.

Morgan came to mind as fitting an 18 year old, as well as Riley, Elliot “El,” Adrian, Casey, Avery, Robin, and Taylor. They strike a good balance of feminine and masculine, and they’ve got some good nickname potential. Best of luck choosing, name searches for yourself can get tiring! :black_heart:

1 Like

[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is one I think could really work for you! It has strong history as a gender neutral name, and it is the most neutral choice I could ever imagine! It’s similar to [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], but even more neutral-feeling. I love these two! :evergreen_tree:

More ideas, as well, which feel strikingly neutral as well as lovely:
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Ever[/name_u]
[name_u]Wiley[/name_u]
[name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_u]Zeal[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Merit[/name_u]
[name_u]Day[/name_u], [name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Britt[/name_u]
[name_u]Valor[/name_u]
[name_u]Grey[/name_u], [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashby[/name_u]
[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]
[name_u]Fern[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Kindred[/name_u]
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_u]Royce[/name_u]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] feels very gender-neutral to me, so I would go with that, but [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] makes perfect sense too :slight_smile:

Shay/Shea, Cory/Corey, [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Joss[/name_u], [name_u]Leyton[/name_u] and [name_u]Luka[/name_u] came to mind

Shiloh is the most gender neutral for me. Ezra is a masculine Jewish name. Arlo is fine but I find it quiet masculine with this spelling, what about Arlow or Arlowe? These would sound more neutral.

I would suggest Claude, Sacha, Marlo, Mako, Echo, Perrin, Emelin, Viveno(t) and Makoto.

I am some sort of nonbinary and my chosen name(s) is not that gender neutral, but at the end of the day imo any name could be fine for a genderqueer folk.

Here, my friend!

1 Like

I love both [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]! Also like the suggestion of [name_u]Ezri[/name_u] :smiling_face:

1 Like

Of the three I’d say [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] sound boy under ten to me.

1 Like

@the_common_fool Thank you for this reminder :smiling_face: I also love your suggestions; I like Ezra for a middle name, and I also love Morgan, Adrian, Casey, and Robin!

@snowmaiden Sasha is lovely! I will keep it in mind. I also love Ellis, Merit, Arden, and Ashby.

@Greyblue Shea, Ari, and Luka are all awesome! Thanks!

@heartwings I like Sacha, Marlo, and Perrin! Vivenot is also super interesting! I’ve never heard it before, but it’s lovely!

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] fits best. It’s also [name_m]Brad[/name_m] and Angelina’s childs name who’s kinda gender fluid? I think it’s perfect

1 Like

For you, i would pick [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] as from what you’ve said it sounds like your favourite. Personally i really like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], and i don’t think that it sounds too young.

some other suggestions:
[name_u]Aki[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_u]River[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is very tied to the Pitt-Jolie daughter so I view it as feminine. I think [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] fits it. It’s a favourite boy name of mine but the -a ending kinda helps neutralise it.

I also think [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is a good option if you like that? It feels neutral to me.

2 Likes

The only Shiloh I ever knew was a man, and he loves his name (he is a Chinese man who has chose it as an English name), Id’say go for it.

1 Like

Of these 3 names, I perceive [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] as the most gender neutral. I like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] most (though [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is a close second).

Other similar names: [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Hollis[/name_u], [name_u]Aven[/name_u] (similar to [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] but also Ava), [name_u]Grey[/name_u], [name_u]Rio[/name_u]

Ooooo ok so many thoughts on this!!

I LOVE [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]. I am currently expecting a baby girl at the end of [name_u]August[/name_u] and was convinced it was a boy. I was so confident that we already named him [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and were openly using the name. Once we found out it was a girl (woooops), I immediately wanted to still keep [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and loved it even more! In the end, we are using a different name, but I think it’s such a wonderful, androgynous name. What’s funny is when I would share that with friends, they would offer other variations like [name_u]Ezer[/name_u] and [name_u]Ezri[/name_u], saying that these seemed to have more feminine vibes. However for me, my family is from Spain, and anything that ends in an A feels feminine to me, so I had such a hard time understanding how people thought [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] didn’t sound feminine. Not trying to imply here that it’s an overly feminine name- or masculine- as of course you’ve stated you want something neutral, but I do think it lends itself both ways.

With my family being from Spain, we also see/use [name_u]Noa[/name_u] a lot for girls (without the H). I have a cousin named [name_u]Noa[/name_u], born anatomy female, but since they were 5 years old they identified as masculine/he, and so the name has actually been so great and fitting for their identity.

[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is my first pick, Noa(h) a strong second 🩷

1 Like