Shilove

I have heard the name Shilove on a little girl in Haiti. I think it’s super cute but can’t find anything about its origin, meaning etc. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know anything? Also, what do you reckon about it? I like that it’s got the -love part, but isn’t pronounced as love (I don’t know how it’s supposed to be pronounced but I say she-loov with a long O).

Have a great day!

I know that Shilov is a popular Russian surname that comes from the word “shilo” which means awl. It is pronounced exactly the way you describe. Although Shilove might also be an independant first name that I haven’t heard of.

I think it will be constantly misspelled and mistaken for [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]. It’s not for me.

I’m not a fan. Sorry

Quite honestly, I can see some teasing potential here, especially with your pronunciation. It does sound a lot like “she-love”, which kind of sounds like a euphemism for lesbianism. Of course, that shouldn’t be a cause for teasing, but kids can be cruel.

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is lovely, or if you like the “love” part, how about the wonderful Cornish name Loveday? There’s also [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] (“SOON-ee-vah”), which your pronunciation puts me in mind of.

If you wanted to change your name to that, I’d be great with it, but to name a daughter that unless she lives in a country that uses it and knows it, I don’t think that would be kind.