Shocked that the UK isnt using Madeline/Madelyn....

I was just looking at this list (granted the list is 2008, I dont think they are putting out stats as of 2009) Top 100 baby names in England and Wales (2008)

Anyway, Im really suprised that [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name] isnt being used in the UK!! When I look at the names on the UK list, [name]Madeline[/name] just seems to fit with the style of those names. Im just really suprised. Isnt [name]Madeline[/name] considered somewhat of a classic? Is it just me, or does it seem that the US seems to copy some of the trends of the Uk? [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Lily[/name], etc…werent they first popular in the Uk? I thought all this time that [name]Madelyn[/name] was popular in the Uk, and maybe perhaps it is, maybe the true number isnt shown because of all the varied spellings? Could this be? [name]Madeline[/name] is definitely used in the US (around 13k if you add up the varied spellings). Thoughts nameberries? Any input from nameberries in the UK?

[name]Hi[/name] there,

I live in the UK - [name]Matilda[/name] is definitely a bigger hit here than [name]Madeleine[/name] but it’s very popular too.

[name]Madeleine[/name] is at no 153 and [name]Madeline[/name] is 263. The other spellings barely register at all (19 [name]Madelaine[/name]'s born, 12 [name]Madelyn[/name]'s and 4 Madelin’s!)

I’d say this name was definitely on the rise over here a few years ago but I would venture a guess that it stopped getting so popular when very sadly a little British girl called [name]Madeleine[/name] McCann was abducted whilst on holiday in Portugal with her family in [name]May[/name] 2007. Since then this has been a huge news story in the UK for the past 3 years and so I would imagine it gives the name somewhat of a negative association.

As for [name]Chloe[/name] - I’d say that definitely started over here as I know lots of [name]Chloe[/name]'s my age (I’m 24) and so it’s been pretty popular for a while here! [name]Lily[/name] has also been big in the UK for the past few years but I don’t know whether it took off in the US or UK first as this definitely isn’t a name that was used much in my generation.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps! If you’d like more UK name statistics (a list of all names used in the UK in 2008) go here: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/Product.asp?vlnk=15282&Pos=&ColRank=1&Rank=422

Another [name]Brit[/name] here - I get the feeling [name]Madeleine[/name] might have been ‘done’ already here. I know a good number of Madeleines, but all are in their teens, so it might have been fairly popular 15-20 years ago. This is supported by the fact that the earliest statistics I can find, 1998, place [name]Madeleine[/name] at #86.

[name]Auburn[/name]