Should kick Simon to the curb?

I have loved [name_m]Simon[/name_m] for many years, and it would fit so well in a sibset with my favorite Boy name, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. However now that I am married, my surname is very similar to ~Showmen~ and I don’t think it flows so well, a lot of repetitive sounds. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s name is [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] which has a rhyming ending sound with our name but it’s not quite as repetitive as [name_m]Simon[/name_m] ~Showmen~

[name_f]My[/name_f] 2nd choice for a sibset would be [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], I also like [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] (but we know many Bens)

[name_f]Do[/name_f] I need to let go of [name_m]Simon[/name_m]???

Should I let go of Simon?
  • Yes, it doesn’t work with ~Showmen~
  • No, it’s ok

0 voters

1 Like

Simon is amazing, but even the most awesome name can get tricky with a surname that’s too similar, in my opinion.

That being said, all of your boy ideas sound so, so great.

1 Like

I looove [name_m]Simon[/name_m] so I might be biased. I don’t think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] Showman is horrible. It isn’t the best flow but if you love [name_m]Simon[/name_m] I wouldn’t say it has to be a dealbreaker

1 Like

Maybe we will get lucky and have one boy and one girl! Our top favorites are [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] but I’m having a hard time finding a boy Sibling for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], it kinda stands alone in my opinion with the Celtic origin but I think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] goes perfect but our last name is not the greatest for [name_m]Simon[/name_m] :frowning:

I wouldn’t do it in this case, but maybe that’s because I just really like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]

1 Like

Looks like we have very similar taste in boys names! I don’t think [name_m]Simon[/name_m] ‘Showmen’ is awful, a bit rhymey but not a deal breaker, if you really love it then I don’t think you absolutely need to let go of it. If you think you love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] just as much, then it might feel freeing to let it off the hook (so to speak).

I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and for various reasons we can’t use any of them! [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is up for discussion, I’m more sold on it than my partner is. So I think your sibset is going to be gorgeous anyway and I am already jealous!

1 Like

It’s not ideal, but it’s certainly OK if [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is your favourite. I have to say though, I adore [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and it definitely sounds better with the surname to my ear.

How about [name_m]Louis[/name_m] (LOU-ee)? I always feel like that has a very similar soft, strong, not overused classic vibe to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m].

1 Like

I’m not really a fan of [name_m]Simon[/name_m] myself but I actually don’t think it sounds too bad with your surname. I can see [name_m]Simon[/name_m] making a comeback because of the series Bridgerton!

The title immediately made me come here to defend my favorite name! I love the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m], and it sounds like you do too. Unfortunately, I see the problem with your surname- it is a bit rhyme-y. However, it’s not so terrible that you couldn’t use the name if you love it.

Isaac and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] are also great choices if you decide on a less sing-songy combination.

i think it sounds fine, I also love the name [name_m]Simon[/name_m] now…from bridgerton.
some names that are similar are [name_m]Sampson[/name_m] [name_m]Samson[/name_m] Seymore [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. I also LOVE benjamin.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] Showman flows nicely i think… its a lot of the same sounds but it actually works!

Love [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. I think it would be fine to use it!

I would keep [name_m]Simon[/name_m] !

I feel this way giving up all my favorite names that end in -er :frowning:

1 Like

Whoa! So complicated! I had no idea!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] so much more.

I have the EXACT same problem with [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] & [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]! :laughing: I ended up letting go of them but I still love them to pieces. :slight_smile: