Sibling for Ottilie and August?

I have two step-children, [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (nn Lottie) and [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] who my husband had with his wife (who sadly passed away).

We’re expecting a child together, however are really struggling with names.

For a boy, we like [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] (nn Laurie), [name_m]Chester[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (nn Theo/Teddy), but are struggling with middle names since we both want to keep with the alliteration. I’m not fully sold on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] since it’s quite popular at the moment and although I’m American, we live in the UK and [name_m]Chester[/name_m] sounds slightly like the start of ‘chest of drawers’ which might not work.

For girls, we both really like Clover, but it doesn’t massively fit and I’m not sure what we’d do for any subsequent sibling names. We like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] as well, however [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] both have the nickname Tillie, so it might not work. [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is an option as well, but we couldn’t do [name_u]Florence[/name_u] and Laurence.

I’ve always liked the idea of [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] as a name, for either gender, but am not fond of [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] or [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] - so any suggestions related to that would be appreciated.

Overall, we want less used, vintage-y names that can work well in a sibset.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Chester[/name_m] could be cute and it doesn’t make me think of “chest of drawers” any more that [name_m]Ben[/name_m] reminds me of “been working on the railroad.” I think you’re fine!

Does [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] ever go by Tilly? If not, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] should be fine. You can even give her the nickname Milly, Mattie, or Tilda, if you want to avoid [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] (but i think [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] is extraordinary)

You can get to the nickname [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] from Roland!

Also what do you think about the name [name_f]Constance[/name_f] for a girl, that could be cute?

You’re right that you’d have to choose between [name_u]Florence[/name_u] and Laurence, either whichever you like better or whichever you have first.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and both [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and Teddy. How about [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] Thomas?

I actually prefer [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] on its own? What do you think? That way you could use both [name_u]Florence[/name_u] and [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] in the future.

I’m not a fan of Chester. It’s also a city in [name_f]England[/name_f] (which I’m sure you know if you live there) so I just picture that.

How about [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Felicity, [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Frida[/name_f] or [name_u]Florence[/name_u] Francesca?

If [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] goes by Lottie, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] should be fine. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] are adorable together. Suggestions: [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] May, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] Margot, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] Mabel, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

Ottilie, August, & [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] for girls and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] or [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] for was the first thing that came to mind

Other ideas

Ottilie, August, & _______

-B-
[name_m]Malcom[/name_m]
[name_m]Calix[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] “Sully”
[name_u]Tanner[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Quaide[/name_m]
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_m]Huon[/name_m]
[name_m]Crispin[/name_m] “Kip”
[name_m]Garrick[/name_m]
Phoenix/Franklin “Finn”
Leland/Lionel/Leopold “Leo”
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Osiris[/name_m] “Ozzy”
[name_u]Rocco[/name_u]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Albie[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Tully[/name_u]
[name_u]Jensen[/name_u]

-G-
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogene[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delta[/name_f]
[name_f]Marnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_u]Romilly[/name_u]
[name_f]Zaida[/name_f]
[name_f]Veda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Uma[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] “Lula”

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are lovely names. With them, I think either [name_m]Chester[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] would be fantastic and for a girl, I actually think [name_f]Clover[/name_f] is perfection. It’s quirky and sweet and has a similar vibe to both [name_u]August[/name_u] and Ottilie. I adore [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] too - it’s one of my absolute favourites - but if you’d want [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] as a nickname then it’s probably too close to Ottilie. I personally don’t think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] necessarily needs a nickname and if you didn’t shorten it I think it’d complement [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] brilliantly. I think something like [name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would be so gorgeous! [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is a lovely option too.

Other names you might like:

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Chiara[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]

[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] could be:
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f] / [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Rhonda[/name_f]
[name_f]Karen[/name_f]
[name_f]Sharon[/name_f]

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] could be Matty/Maddy instead of Tilly.

The names of your step children feel elegant and distinguished and remind me of the names used by European royal families. From your boys list, I think [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is the most fitting with this style and based on your comments it seems to have the least drawbacks and doubts. I think alliterative middles are a harder task because you’re not only narrowing the field to one initial, you’re also trying to avoid the names sounding too repetitive. It does sound like it’s a worthwhile search though.

For Laurence, you could go with a short traditional name such as [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] Luke. They flow well together and each name has different sounds. [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] is great or [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m] if you enjoy more elaborate names. [name_m]Chester[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are more limiting if you want strict alliteration with the ‘ch’ and ‘th’ sounds rather than the initial.

There are a few more ways to get to Ronnie, perhaps not as intuitively. For instance, Roman, Ronan, [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] have all the right letters but the vowel sound is different. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] could work for either gender.

I like the names on your girls list. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] fits in the most with the sibling names, whereas [name_f]Clover[/name_f] and [name_u]Florence[/name_u] I associate more strongly with the vintage revival style. [name_f]May[/name_f] I also suggest Estelle, Sabine, Vivienne, Philippa, Minerva, Daphne, Winifred, Sybil, [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] and Greta.

If you’re still considering suggestions for your boys list, I wonder if you’d like Maxim, Francis, Edmund, Cedric, Preston, Ernest, Miles, Walter, [name_m]Everard[/name_m] or Magnus.

I second Roland, Bronwen/Bronwyn, and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for Ronnie! Also, this may not fit your style but [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] would work too for a girl

For boys to get to Ronnie:
Rordan/Riordan
[name_m]Redmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
Sorin

Big stretches - [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] and Casworan

[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Tiger[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u]

[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Cillian[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_u]Christian[/name_u]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Molly[/name_f]

[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Fiora[/name_f]

Ronnie…

[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]

Ottilie, [name_u]August[/name_u] and…

[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] all your names.
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Lance[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m]

[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] :heart_eyes:
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Terrence[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]

I really like [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] “Laurie”! What about [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] or [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] Linus?

I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] too, but I see the problem with Tillie. How do you pronounce Ottilie? If you say “oh-TEE-lee-a,” the “Tillie” sound isn’t so obvious and I think you’d be okay with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (especially since [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] goes by Lottie), but if you say “OTT-ih-lee” then I wouldn’t.

I think [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] can work with any name starting with “Ro” that contains an N, which includes a lot of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names: [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], as well as [name_f]Rowena[/name_f], [name_f]Romina[/name_f], or Rhoswen.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] with your names so here are some middles:
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Landon[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]

Ooh I like Clover! It’s very sweet maybe as a middle if you think it feels off with the rest of your names. It sounds like [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] so [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] could go by “Tillie” or she could go by [name_u]Mattie[/name_u], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_m]Mads[/name_m], [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], or Tilda.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
Coralie/Coraline [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] Marys/Maris
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] Clementine? or [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] Clover?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (mn [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] (to play on the T sound) and nn Theo. Also love [name_m]Leon[/name_m] (mn Laurence).

Girls: [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] (nn Goldie), [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (Rose/Rosie), [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Della[/name_f], Leni), [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], Gia), [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] (Delphi), [name_f]Helena[/name_f] (Ella)…

Boys: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]Julian[/name_u] (Jules), [name_m]Charles[/name_m] (nn Charlie), [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] (Sam).

I think @TeaJay’s suggestion of [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] is amazing - a wonderful name by itself and a great fit with [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] and August.

Some other suggestions for girls name

[name_f]Renata[/name_f] [name_u]Romilly[/name_u]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f] [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_f]Lisette[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] definitely has the right feel!

2 Likes

I think you have a fantastic list of names coming along and I love the alliteration! :heart: From your list of boys names, I feel that [name_m]Chester[/name_m] fits the best with your other children’s names and don’t think that the ‘chest of drawers’ thing would be an issue at all. If you’re really worried about it, how about [name_m]Casper[/name_m] as an alternative? Also, if you like the nickname ‘Teddy’, have you considered [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (or possibly [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] or Edoardo) as an alternative to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]? For a girl, I think that either [name_f]Clover[/name_f] or [name_u]Florence[/name_u] would be perfect. In regard to [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], if you plan on nicknaming her ‘Tilly’ then it is rather similar to [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] suggestions for you would be:
[name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_m]Carmichael[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] [name_u]Charleston[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]Camille[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Feodora[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Frederica[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]

Ottilie and August are such lovely names! I think there are so many beautiful options that go along with them (which, perhaps, is why it’s so hard to choose)!

For a little sister…
Matilda (nn “Mattie” instead of “Tillie”?), Theodora or Dorothy (since Theodore for a boy is a bit popular), Alice, Belle, Ilsa, Frances (nn Francie or Frankie), Margaret (nn Daisy, Pearl, Greta, Maggie… so many choices!), Mabel, Hazel, Arabella, Eloise, Elinor, Pollie.
I think a hyphenated name could be cool too, since big siblings both have unique names. Some of my hyphenated faves are Sarah-Claire, Mary-Margaret, June-Joy, Mary-Catherine, Emma-Elizabeth, and Charlotte-Claire!

For a little brother…
Laurence is amazing! I love it!, also love Cormac, Finnigan (nn Finn), Griffin, Freidrich, Wesley, Gideon, Milo, Killian, or Holden!

For the nick name “Ronnie”…
Boys: Rene, Roland, Ronan, Raymond, Aaron, Connor, Roman, Ryan, Cameron, Darron, or Leron.

Girls:
Ramona, Renee, Reina, Rosaline/Rosalind, Robin, Ryan, Rona, Ronja (pronounced Ron-ya), Bronwyn, Marion, or Marron.

Hope these help! Good Luck!

1 Like

I think [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] goes the best with [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u].

[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Luther[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Leland[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_m]Locke[/name_m]

I would use [name_f]Clover[/name_f] as a middle name for a girl and find a more vintage name to pair with for a first name.

[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_u]Callahan[/name_u] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] (has the -ron for [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] but it may be a stretch)

1 Like