Sibling for Sofia - help!

[name]Hi[/name] - we have a [name]Sofia[/name] (i know its very popular but I loved the name long before I knew how popular it was and it actually has not bothered me too much so far). So now we need another girl name and my husband and I cannot agree. We know we like something classic but current and fairly common so neither girl feels that they got the common or different name. I will put a couple ideas below that we do like but are concerned about, if you can comment on our ideas and concerns, other ideas are welcome as well.

[name]Sofia[/name] & [name]Amelia[/name] (husband loves [name]Amelia[/name] but then both end in ia - is that too much? also concerned re nicknames [name]Mia[/name], [name]Amy[/name] etc - I would wnat her to jsut be [name]Amelia[/name])
[name]Sofia[/name] & [name]Charlotte[/name] (our names and [name]Sofia[/name] are 4-5 letters and [name]Charlotte[/name] is 9? also concerned re nicknames - like the full name)
[name]Sofia[/name] & [name]Catherine[/name], possible nickname [name]Cate[/name] (our last name is 1 syllable so [name]Cate[/name] [last name] might sound odd and [name]Catherine[/name] is a little more basic than [name]Sofia[/name])

What do you think?

[name]Hi[/name]! I think all the names you’re considering are really lovely. The -ia wouldn’t bother me too much (maybe a bit, it does maybe start a pattern, but I don’t think it should be the deal breaker), nor would number of letters, or not liking the nns. I think you can in all likelihood promote whatever form of the name you want and people will respect it. I guess though if it just bothers you to no end, sure, wait til you find one with either no nicknames or nicknames you like, because you can’t guarantee 100% the nicknames won’t happen - your child may prefer a nn herself : D! (Unlikely though, I think most kids go with what their parents call them.

As for 1-syl [name]Cate[/name] with 1 syl last name…I think as long as she has a multi-syl formal name this isn’t really a big deal.

BTW I like [name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] the very best of the 3 you’re considering.

Here are some more options that may fit with what you’re looking for:
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Eva[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] (too much overlap?)
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name]/[name]Vivienne[/name]

Sure there are more! Good luck!

I don’t think that people consider syllable numbers among sisters. In fact, distinctly different names could be a plus. Whatever you name your children, they will be who they really are. As for sib-setting, people only spend perhaps 15% of their lives in that role. From then on they are individuals without reference to siblings. They go on to live their lives as adults. I don’t think it is at all inappropriate to name sisters quite different names.

Having said that, I like [name]Amelia[/name] best of the three, and [name]Charlotte[/name] not at all.

My nieces’s names are [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Kristine[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]. NMS, but beautiful none the less. :slight_smile: Other names my sister in-law considered for [name]Ava[/name] are…

[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]

Some others I think would work well…
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Carissa[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]

I think all of your choices would make an excellent sister for [name]Sofia[/name], and from the names suggested so far my top choices would be [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name]

Some other suggestions:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Mona[/name]
[name]Mora[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
Vivenne

From your list, I like [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] for [name]Sofia[/name]'s sibling. I love the name [name]Amelia[/name] but it has the same ending “ia” as [name]Sofia[/name] so it’s not ideal. Another name ending in “a” is fine but not “ia”. Here are some other suggestions.

[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] / [name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Julietta[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Ariane[/name] / [name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Natasha[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name] / [name]Lila[/name]
[name]Michaela[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] / [name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Marisa[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name]
Raffaella
[name]Marcella[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]

[name]Sofia[/name] & [name]Catherine[/name] are beautiful together :slight_smile: both are very classic, and princess sounding! and of course i would choose catherine, as that is my 3 year old daughter’s name. We are complimented ALL the time on how classic catherine is, and i just love how “cate” is sweet, short, and “common”, yet has the unique ‘C’ spelling. [name]Sofia[/name] was/still is a top choice on our girls list too! good luck and congrats on your new baby girl!! so lucky to have a sister for sofia!

[name]Lovely[/name] choices I do love [name]Amelia[/name] but I think [name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] make the best sibset. My daughter’s mn is [name]Kate[/name] and I love this either as a full name or a nickname.

best wishes,

rollo

I think [name]Sofia[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] sound perfect. I don’t think it’s that strange that her name has so many letters because it’s only two syllables. And [name]Charlotte[/name] is probably most commonly used without a nickname, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much. Best of luck!

I love them all so it is hard to choose. I think I will go with [name]Amelia[/name]!