Sibling name for Calvin and Margaret

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my last query. Since we’ve decided against [name]Thatcher[/name], we would love your feedback on the names we are considering. I like all these names but am worried that some are too close (in ending sound) to [name]Calvin[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name]. Thanks for your input!

These suggestions are SO helpful, so keep them coming! [name]Just[/name] a little added info: our last name starts with the “S” sound, if that helps narrow the field. I’m removing [name]Brynn[/name] from the list since it is obviously not a keeper! (Added on 4/2.)

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]/[name]Winston[/name] (too different?)
others??

GIRLS
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
others??

My favorite on the boy’s list is [name]Emmett[/name], but I see you concern with it sounding similar to [name]Margaret[/name]. I saw on your last post someone suggested [name]Fletcher[/name], which I love! What do you think of it?

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] is a winner for a girl :slight_smile:

[name]Edward[/name]: Nice… Twilight has ruined the name for me, though.

[name]Emmett[/name]: It doesn’t seem to fit as well as others on your list.

[name]Elliot[/name]: I really like [name]Elliot[/name] with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].

[name]Everett[/name]: It seems too trendy to go with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].

[name]Oliver[/name]: [name]Oliver[/name] is perfect!!

[name]Timothy[/name]: I like [name]Timothy[/name], too.

What about:

[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]

[name]Adelaide[/name]: I’ve never been a fan-- too harsh sounding. What about [name]Adele[/name]?

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]: I love [name]Annabel[/name], and it’s absolutely perfect with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]!

[name]Brynn[/name]: This is a boy’s name.

[name]Dorothy[/name]: Still too old ladyish for me, but a lot of people like it…

[name]Evelyn[/name]: I’ve never like [name]Evelyn[/name].

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]: I much prefer the spelling [name]Gwendolen[/name]. I also prefer [name]Guinevere[/name]…

[name]Louisa[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Louisa[/name], and it’s perfect with [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name]!

[name]Lydia[/name]: See [name]Louisa[/name]!

[name]Rebecca[/name]: Seems dated, but it’s a nice name.

[name]Sylvia[/name]: I love [name]Sylvia[/name], and again, perfect with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]!!

[name]Virginia[/name]: I’d say she’s likely to get teased…

I really can’t decide between [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], and [name]Sylvia[/name]-- four of my favorite names!!

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name] - Handsome and classic, it could go with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] but there are others that might work better.

[name]Emmett[/name] - Cute still classic but a bit more offbeat like [name]Calvin[/name] though it’s becoming quite popular.

[name]Elliot[/name] - Handsome, sophisticated, classy, but maybe not quirky enough for the ideal sib-set.

[name]Everett[/name] - Has the same nice qualities as the others and could sound very cute with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].

[name]Oliver[/name] - Perfect!

[name]Timothy[/name] - About the same as [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] would work perfectly however!

A few to consider:
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Hector[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

GIRLS
[name]Adelaide[/name] - [name]Love[/name]!

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name] - Beautiful and would go well with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]

[name]Brynn[/name] - The complete opposite of all of your other choices, I’m sorry to say that I really not a fan of this one, much too trendy for my taste.

[name]Dorothy[/name] - My favourite of your choices! It would go splendidly with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]!

[name]Evelyn[/name] - This lovely and goes great with [name]Margaret[/name] but it shares too many of the same sounds as [name]Calvin[/name]. (Woops I just realised I suggested this one in your last post! So sorry I didn’t catch the matchy-ness sooner!)

[name]Gwendolyn[/name] - [name]Love[/name]

[name]Louisa[/name] - [name]Love[/name]

[name]Lydia[/name] - Very cute but may not make for the ideal sib-set

[name]Rebecca[/name] - Cute

[name]Sylvia[/name] - Another great choice that will work great with you’re other children

[name]Virginia[/name] - [name]Adore[/name] this one as well!

So my favourites are: [name]Dorothy[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name]
And my least favourites are: [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Brynn[/name]

Best of luck to you!

Lots of great names! I’m not on board with [name]Dorothy[/name], sorry, it is a berry favorite but it is just old-lady to me.
[name]Lydia[/name] is sooooooo beautiful :slight_smile: I think it makes a good sibset.

[name]Oliver[/name] is getting very popular everywhere, so I wouldn’t use it for that reason, however, it goes really well with [name]Calvin[/name] so don’t let popularity throw you off.

[name]Edward[/name] is a good name despite Twilight, and always will be, while Twilight will die off sooner or later.

[name]Emmett[/name], [name]Evrett[/name] sound too close to [name]Margaret[/name] in the ending, but are good names if you don’t mind the “et” endings in your sibset, [name]Evrett[/name] would be nicer since it doesn’t have the “m” and “et”. [name]Emmet[/name] is one of my favorites though :slight_smile:

Thanks, all! I agree with you about [name]Brynn[/name]. Not my favorite but threw it in there b/c my husband likes it… I like [name]Oliver[/name] a lot but am worried it’s too popular. Also, so far [name]Margaret[/name] does not go by any nicknames as we love the full name, but of course that could change.

how about [name]Eliza[/name] for a girl?

And [name]Frederick[/name] for a boy?

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name] - Great name ruined by Twilight
[name]Emmett[/name] - Does [name]Margaret[/name] go by a nn usually? Then the ending wouldn’t be so much of an issue. One problem is that parents are now interpreting anything that starts with and [name]Em[/name]- as feminine. Eg. [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Emery[/name]. And the [name]Em[/name] nn will be shared with many girls
[name]Elliot[/name] - [name]El[/name] is another girly sounding nn.
[name]Everett[/name] - Ok, same as [name]Emmett[/name] with the ending
[name]Oliver[/name] - I’ve never really like it too much and now seems very popular
[name]Timothy[/name] - Like it.
others??

You seem to like traditional names, so I don’t know how much help you need coming up with them. What about [name]Henry[/name]?

GIRLS
[name]Adelaide[/name] - I like it
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name] - A little frilly for my taste, but a nice name. -[name]Bel[/name] endings are getting popular, though.
[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] - I like it and [name]Dot/name is adorable.
[name]Evelyn[/name] - There’s a lot of little Evies/Evas/Avas out there
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] - A little frilly but nice.
[name]Louisa[/name] - I love [name]Eloise[/name]. What do you think?
[name]Lydia[/name] - I like it
[name]Rebecca[/name] - Ok
[name]Sylvia[/name] - One of my favorites, but I would call her [name]Sylvie[/name] with the full name [name]Sylvia[/name]. I know [name]Sylvie[/name] is a legitimate French form but it looks nicknamey for a proper name.
[name]Virginia[/name] - I knew a girl named [name]Virginia[/name] and as far as I know she didn’t get any Virgin teasing, but I only met her in 6th grade.

So to add: [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Adele[/name] as an alternative to [name]Adelaide[/name].

My options for you would be:
[name]Calvin[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Timothy[/name] [name]Edward[/name]
OR
[name]Calvin[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Brynn[/name]

Great list! (And I LOOOOOVE [name]Calvin[/name] and Mararet!)

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name]: I love it!

[name]Emmett[/name]: I like some of the others more with [name]Margaret[/name]…

[name]Elliot[/name]: Ditto, but I like [name]Elliot[/name] with your kids’ names better than [name]Emmett[/name], because [name]Emmett[/name] has two of [name]Margaret[/name]'s sounds–M and T.

[name]Everett[/name]: See [name]Elliot[/name].

[name]Oliver[/name]: I love it!

[name]Timothy[/name]: I think it’s a handsome name…

I apologize if these have already been suggested:

[name]Calvin[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], and:

[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

[name]Adelaide[/name]: I think it’s a beautiful name…

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]: I love the [name]Annabel[/name] spelling with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]!

[name]Brynn[/name]: I can better see some of the other names with [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name], because the style of [name]Brynn[/name] seems so different to me.

[name]Dorothy[/name]: I think it’s pretty…

[name]Evelyn[/name]: The V sound and N ending reminds me a lot of [name]Calvin[/name], so I like some of the others more.

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]: I think it’s very pretty…

[name]Louisa[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Louisa[/name], and think it’s amazing with your kids’ names!

[name]Lydia[/name]: Ditto!

[name]Rebecca[/name]: I think it’s a pretty name…

[name]Sylvia[/name]: Sylv and Calv sound similar to me, so I like some of the others more with your kids’ names.

[name]Virginia[/name]: I think it’s very pretty, but because I knew a [name]Virginia[/name] who was teased (virgin jokes and female anatomy jokes), I like some of the other names more.

My favorites with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m really sorry if these have already been suggested:

[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]

(Again, I’m sorry for repeats!) :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I like [name]Edmund[/name] for a boy and [name]Louisa[/name] for a girl.

I like [name]Edmund[/name] for a boy and [name]Louisa[/name] for a girl.

On your boys’ list, I really love:
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name] (my son’s name!)

Your girls’ list:
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name] – Very cute!
[name]Brynn[/name] – Not my style
[name]Dorothy[/name] – Nice
[name]Evelyn[/name] – Like it a lot!
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] – Like it a lot!
[name]Louisa[/name] – Totally [name]LOVE[/name] it!
[name]Lydia[/name] – Beautiful!
[name]Rebecca[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name] it – my daughter’s name
[name]Sylvia[/name] – Very pretty!
[name]Virginia[/name] – Not bad as a name, but not worth the risk of teasing

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name]- [name]Love[/name], goes really well with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].
[name]Emmett[/name]- I like this one too a lot.
[name]Elliot[/name]- I think this one best complements [name]Calvin[/name].
[name]Everett[/name]- Too close to [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]- [name]Love[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]- I dont like this name, it sounds kinda weak too me.
others??

I like: [name]Grant[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Alec[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Willis[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Walker[/name], [name]Peter[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Graham[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Theodor[/name], [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]Finian[/name], [name]Archer[/name], [name]Lewis[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]Julian[/name].

GIRLS
[name]Adelaide[/name]- I prefer [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this. It goes really well with [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name].
[name]Brynn[/name]- Too trendy, doesnt match with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] at all.
[name]Dorothy[/name]- I love old names but even I cant picture this name on anyone under 75.
[name]Evelyn[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this.
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]- Nice, fits well with sister [name]Margaret[/name].
[name]Louisa[/name]- Prefer this as a mn.
[name]Lydia[/name] I love this too.
[name]Rebecca[/name]- yawn, this one is too boring imo.
[name]Sylvia[/name]- I dont like ths sound of this name.
[name]Virginia[/name]- I dont like this at all.

My picks:
[name]Margaret[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], and [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]Edward[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], and [name]Annabelle[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name]

BOYS
[name]Edward[/name]- yes, it has a Twilight connection now, but that won’t last. It’s a nice, solid name. I somewhat prefer the suggestion of [name]Edmund[/name]. I feel like [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name] go particularly well together.
[name]Oliver[/name]- I really like this quite a bit. It is certainly growing in popularity, but I wouldn’t let that stop you if you really like it.
[name]Timothy[/name]- This is nice, I think it would go well, but it’s my third choice. It goes nicely in the middle name position.

GIRLS
[name]Annabel[/name]- I prefer this spelling. I think it’s a lovely name, that’s classic, but not too common.
[name]Lydia[/name]- Many people like this and I can see the appeal. For me, it brings to mind a middle aged [name]Lydia[/name] I know who is kinda boring and it also makes me think of flighty, foolish [name]Lydia[/name] from Pride and Prejudice, but I know that most people wouldn’t make that connection. All in all, I couldn’t choose it for my daugther but I would understand if someone else chose it. I does go nicely with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].
[name]Sylvia[/name]- I really like this as well, very sweet with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name].

My first picks would be [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Timothy[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] ([name]Felicity[/name]). My second choice would be [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Timothy[/name] and [name]Sylvia[/name].

I love [name]Annabelle[/name] to go with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. I know you said you nixed [name]Thatcher[/name], but I absolutely love it as a sibling name for yours.

I love [name]Annabelle[/name] to go with [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]. I know you said you nixed [name]Thatcher[/name], but I absolutely love it as a sibling name for yours.[/quote]

We love [name]Thatcher[/name] too but decided we’re not up for all the “[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name]” comments we will undoubtedly receive! Any other boy name favorites?

what about [name]Daniel[/name] for a boy and [name]Sophia[/name] for a girl?

[name]Gregory[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name]