Sibling name help

We are expecting #4, a little girl and she will be joining:
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mimi[/name_f])
[name_u]Augustine[/name_u] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u]) [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
Our last name has 3 syllables as well.
I LOVE the name [name_f]Vera[/name_f] but can’t quite get husband on board. He thinks it sounds like we’re “trying too hard”. :thinking:
He prefers the name [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. Very vintage and pretty, but I was hoping for something a bit less popular perhaps. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s only #97, our other names have been less common.
Does it sound too similar to [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]? She would probably have the nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f].
Input on Middle names for [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], I like [name_f]Helene[/name_f] (After my grandmmother)
We have a hard to pronounce last name so I need the first name to be fairly simple and recognizable.
As Catholics we love choosing a patron [name_m]Saint[/name_m] for a middle name as well or incorporating the faith somehow, with a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] variation or place of an apparition.
Ie, [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_f]Avila[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] Zelle
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] Vianney also sounded pretty to me, but I wasn’t sure if it’s too much alliteration.
Other first names we’ve considered are
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosma[/name_f]
Any help appreciated, I’ve been thinking about names so much that I’m having a hard time trusting my judgement on what I like and don’t like and would be interested to hear some others input for fun.

1 Like

[quote=“Curbanzo_bean, post:1, topic:338135”]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mimi[/name_f])
[name_u]Augustine[/name_u] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u]) [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there. Your kids’ names are lovely! ‘Sounds like we’re trying too hard’ is something that my husband has said too when I’ve mentioned certain names. [name_m]How[/name_m] silly. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] is perfect w/your crew. It’s vintage, not too poplar yet very normal.

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is gorgeous, but it is a bit common. I’m kind of surprised that it’s not higher than 97. I feel like I hear it fairly often. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is the more well known spelling, so I’d stick w/that vs. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. And I don’t think it’s too similar to [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] at all. They’re awesome for sisters. I think that [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] to honor your grandmother is really nice. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] Zelle is pretty cool too. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] Vianney is neat if you can get your dh on board.

Here are my thoughts on the other names that you’ve considered:

[name_f]Della[/name_f]-This seems really nice w/your crew. It’s simple & different. Similar to [name_f]Vera[/name_f], but maybe not ‘trying too hard’. :joy:

[name_f]Ida[/name_f]-Same as above. Very old fashioned grandma sounding name, but in a cute way of course.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]-I like this a lot too! It’s smart & kind, with a little bit of spunk. Lots of great nns too. [name_f]Bea[/name_f], [name_f]Bess[/name_f], [name_f]Bette[/name_f]/[name_f]Betty[/name_f].

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]-I love this one. Especially w/the nn [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]!

[name_f]Petra[/name_f]-This is not my personal favorite for some reason, but it’s nice. Different, smart, feminine w/out being too frilly, & rather uncommon.

[name_f]Cosma[/name_f]-This is okay. It seems like it’s missing something. [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] is cool, but maybe too close to [name_f]Mimi[/name_f].

A few more ideas:

[name_f]Annis[/name_f]

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]

[name_f]Ilse[/name_f]

[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]

[name_f]Junia[/name_f]

[name_f]Katia[/name_f]

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]

[name_f]Nava[/name_f]

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

[name_u]Vida[/name_u]

[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]Zella[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Vera[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] for you! Both have the same feel to me as [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] and [name_m]Roman[/name_m]—vintage, soft but stately. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] actually does too; it’s just a bit more popular. But it’s very pretty and would fit well.

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] is gorgeous.

1 Like

Your children have lovely names and I guessed you were Catholic when reading them!

I think [name_f]Vera[/name_f] is lovely, and works really well with the others. I think it helps tie them together, as [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] have nicknames and [name_m]Roman[/name_m] doesn’t, and so [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would match [name_m]Roman[/name_m] in that respect, whereas [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] would be much more matchy with the other two.

I personally think [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is too matchy with [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], as the names follow a very similar pattern. Also, in terms of popularity, [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and [name_f]Viviana[/name_f] are also in the charts.

I don’t think [name_f]Vera[/name_f] Vianney is too alliterative, and I think if you wanted nickname [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], using Vianney as a middle name could give you that.

I love [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] for you! [name_f]Petra[/name_f] has the same retro-chic vibe as your other names and could be in honour of any of the [name_m]Saint[/name_m] Peters. There are also several [name_m]Saint[/name_m] Beatrices and the name may be derived from ‘beatus’ meaning blessed. Either of these would be absolutely beautiful with your other children :grinning:

I think [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Avila[/name_f] or [name_f]Petra[/name_f] Zelle/Vianney would be particularly stunning!

A few other suggestions:
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]

1 Like

Wonderful! Thank you so very much for all the input and the compliment! [name_u]Truly[/name_u] helpful.
Yes, [name_f]Petra[/name_f] snd [name_f]Cosma[/name_f] probably won’t make the cut. Our last name starts with a U so I have to avoid first names starting with “F” for obvious reasons :stuck_out_tongue:
I really do LOVE [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and all this nicknames, but my husband is more likely to cave in for [name_f]Vera[/name_f] than “[name_u]Beat[/name_u]-rice” as he sees the name when written. I’m also surprised [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] isn’t higher on the list as well. I’ll take a close look at some of your other suggestions!
DH is coming around to using [name_f]Vera[/name_f] as a first name after I read him these comments verifying it’s not “trying too hard” :joy: Thank you!!

I love your list. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] is really beautiful and flows well with your other children.
The only potential hiccup is the similar nicknames. But I think that will work itself out when your kids get tired of both running when you only called one of them. “[name_f]Viv[/name_f]” is not as similar to [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], so that might become your default.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f] & [name_f]Cosma[/name_f] all blend well with your other children.
I love [name_f]Della[/name_f], but feel that it’s got a nicknamey flavor to it. What about [name_f]Adele[/name_f] nn [name_f]Della[/name_f]?
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Ida[/name_f], but it just seems short and choppy compared to your other three.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I recommend [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]? It’s a form of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or [name_f]Helene[/name_f], ends in -a like a lot of your favorites, has a TON of nicknames and compliments your children’s name.
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Avila[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] (maybe redundant ha)
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] Zelle
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]

Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve considered [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] as well, especially since dh’s grandma is an [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and mine is [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. Seems fitting! Definitely lots of nn potential too:) thank you for the input!!
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] would be a cute nn too! I’m
I agree with [name_f]Della[/name_f] sounding a bit too nicknamey, I don’t really want to go with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]/[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] variation though and I can’t quite get on board with [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]/[name_f]Delphia[/name_f]/[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

Excellent feedback!!! Thank you so very much! I love your name suggestions as well!
On a very positive note after reading these comments about the good fit of “[name_f]Vera[/name_f]” with our crew, my husband agreed that maybe [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would be a good fit and it’s not “trying too hard” after all! :hugs: Progress!!!
We considered [name_f]Adella[/name_f] as a longer name for nn [name_f]Della[/name_f]. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is a family name as well, but I felt the need to avoid [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] variations mostly because it seems to be climbing the charts quickly. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphia[/name_f] were also on my list as there was an amazing [name_u]Blessed[/name_u] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], but I just don’t love it and DH would definitely think it’s too out there.

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Marilynn[/name_f]? Too much rhyming?
[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] would do double duty as honoring my husband’s mother and using a form of [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] husband is warming up to [name_f]Vera[/name_f]! I think it fits in perfectly and does not sound “trying too hard” to me. I like it better than [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Marilynn[/name_f] is nice if meaningful to you. [name_f]Marilynn[/name_f] is one of those midcentury names not quite back in style to me. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] is pretty, but [name_f]Helene[/name_f] is very close to [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] on your other daughter.

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] Zelle
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]

1 Like

:blush: thanks.
Yes, I agree on your input on [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]. Not quite my fave and definitely mid-century. I also was iffy on using [name_f]Helene[/name_f]/[name_f]Helen[/name_f] when we already had [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] as a middle name for [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]. Noted​:+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:
I much prefer [name_f]Vera[/name_f] Zelle at the moment although [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] has popped into my radar lately and would be an interesting combo. Too weird?
I really like [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u] as well and it flows well with [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m].
Our last name is 3 syllables as well.

I think [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] is lovely and and definitely not too rhyme-y with the other children. I’m so glad your husband is beginning to like [name_f]Vera[/name_f] too!

1 Like

I believe [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] would be perfect for your baby girl. [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] is stunning too. Traditional, old-fashioned, familiar but not extremely popular. I personally wouldn’t use another variation of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] since [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is already a variation of [name_f]Mary[/name_f].
[name_f]Helene[/name_f] would be beautiful as a middle name!

Very classy names. We are due with baby 4, and had baby 3 or 4 been a girl, she would have been [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I love the classiness of it, but also uniqueness.

I love [name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Helene[/name_f]!!
I very much doubt anyone will think “weird one sister has [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] and the other [name_f]Helene[/name_f].” They’re quite different names IMO

I also really like [name_f]Della[/name_f] as a full name. [name_f]Della[/name_f] [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] is quite charming. Or [name_f]Adella[/name_f]/[name_f]Della[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u]

It looks like you have gotten some GREAT feedback already! [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] are beautiful choices for your wonderful baby girl. Since DH isn’t quite sold on [name_f]Vera[/name_f], would you consider [name_f]Clara[/name_f]? [name_f]Clara[/name_f] has a similar classic and elegant feel. Perhaps:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]/[name_f]Helene[/name_f] (I think [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] counts as a derivation of [name_f]Helen[/name_f]!)