Sibling names for Hermione?

[name]Hermione[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name] do make an adorable sibling pair, I have to admit, but I just don’t like the name enough to use it as a first spot. I have tried and tried to like but just can’t. There was this awful awful girl at my highschool name [name]Beatrice[/name] but she pronounced it the spanish way ( bay-a-treece) and it’s just too similar.

I would almost always call her [name]Hermione[/name] but the one last reservation my husband has with the name is the fear that it is going to be shorted to [name]Hermie[/name] in school which we both HATE so I wanted to come up with an alternative nickname kids could call her if they insisted on one. I thought [name]Maya[/name] could be a good choice since it’s short and pretty- a lot prettier than [name]Hermie[/name] :?

Like I said earlier, we both like the name [name]Calista[/name] to go with [name]Hermione[/name] but it doesn’t have that same quirkiness I don’t think. Another one we are considering is [name]Clio[/name]/[name]Cleo[/name] but it may be too short. [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Winifred[/name] are all great names that would be adorable with [name]Hermione[/name] but they don’t go with our last name ([name]Nguyen[/name]).

So any other “quirky” names you can think of would be appreciated!

Hm. Yes, I completely understand your reasoning for not using [name]Beatrix[/name], then! As for the nickname issue with [name]Hermione[/name], I don’t think [name]Maya[/name] will be a problem, but I have plenty of friends with longer names - a [name]Catherine[/name] and a [name]Katherine[/name], among others - who never went by anything other than their full names. So, it is possible!

[name]Calista[/name] is gorgeous with [name]Hermione[/name]! [name]Gwendolyn[/name] would be lovely as well, but not ideal with [name]Nguyen[/name], I agree. Wait, wasn’t there another name you were looking at? [name]Maeve[/name]? Was that you? Anyway, I was going to suggest [name]Jessamine[/name], but [name]Jessamine[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] isn’t ideal, either. [name]Penelope[/name] would be gorgeous, and it feels pretty spunky to me! Here are some others:

[name]Acacia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
Alannis [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Ambrosia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Arista[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Charisma[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Demetria[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Evangelia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Jocasta[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Sophronia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]
[name]Zenobia[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]

Sorry, only time for some Greek options now. Anything strike your fancy?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the list! I have always loved [name]Philippa[/name] but it doesn’t seem to be a very popular choice here or elsewhere :frowning: The nickname [name]Pippa[/name] is my absolute favorite nickname of all time.

In the interest of not starting up yet another thread, do the names [name]Conrad[/name] or [name]Cassius[/name] go with [name]Hermione[/name] as a brother sibling name?

I think both [name]Conrad[/name] and [name]Cassius[/name] would work just fine with [name]Hermione[/name]. If you went with a bolder sister, like [name]Jessamine[/name], I might choose [name]Cassius[/name], and if you went with something more understated and vintage, like [name]Philippa[/name], I’d go with [name]Conrad[/name]…

PS I think [name]Pippa[/name] is a great nickname, too! That’s why I suggested [name]Philippa[/name]. I like it!

Can we please attribute these names to [name]Shakespeare[/name] rather than [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]? JK Rowling borrowed these names from [name]Shakespeare[/name] in what I am seeing as a nod to some of the most magnificent characters in literary history. Perhaps looking at it that way won’t stop us from keeping these glorious names alive! [name]Hermione[/name], [name]Lysander[/name], [name]Balthazar[/name], [name]Oberon[/name], [name]Helena[/name], Codelia, [name]Celia[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Nerissa[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Viola[/name] ALL beautful shakesperean names. Let’s not let JK ruin it for all of us!

I agree with [name]Missy[/name]! [name]Shakespeare[/name] is fabulous, and [name]Hermione[/name] would be perfect with [name]Celia[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Nerissa[/name], or [name]Viola[/name]. [name]Love[/name] 'em all!

I used to think [name]Viola[/name] was a beautiful name until I read that it means rape in Spanish :shock:

I still love [name]Calista[/name] with [name]Hermione[/name] :slight_smile: