Sibling names too close? Initials too weird? Help, please!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

This is all hypothetical, but I’m trying to pair potential sibling sets. [name_f]My[/name_f] top two names are [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] & [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. I’d maybe do [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a fn realistically to honor my dad, [name_m]David[/name_m], but [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is my real love. Are [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] & [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] too close because they both sort of have [name_u]Win[/name_u] as a nn? I wouldn’t use [name_u]Win[/name_u] as a nn necessarily. Possibly occasionally for [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] would more than likely be [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], but maybe occasionally [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] if anything. Thoughts?

[name_f]My[/name_f] other concern is initials. Our last starts w/an M. Pairing three sisters together, I’d like to use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] & [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] something that starts w/an ‘A’ to honor my grandparents [name_m]Albert[/name_m] & [name_f]Annette[/name_f]. But that would make her initials N.A.M. Is that weird? Because that’s what people shorten the Vietnam war to. Not to mention, I don’t really have any ‘A’ names that I like w/[name_f]Nuala[/name_f]. The other option is [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] & [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] something with a ‘P’ to honor Grandma [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]. But I just don’t like [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] for some reason. It’s too short & ‘l’ heavy. [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] has come to mind as well, which I don’t hate.

And as for boys, I’d like [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] & [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] something w/an ‘A’ ([name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is kind of cool, right?). Then I have the N.A.M problem again. I could do [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] ‘P’ mn, but [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] just doesn’t flow as well as [name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], but I have a nephew called C1lli@n [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] (cute, right?!) & another nephew whose fn is [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]. He’s technically a step-nephew, so he was named before his mom knew our family. That information is important, because the reason that I don’t want to use [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] is because dh has an uncle [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] who is not a super nice fella. That’s a mild way of putting it. Would [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] be different enough to fix that problem? [name_m]How[/name_m] is [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] pronounced anyway?

Sorry for so much rambling. Hopefully this all makes sense. Thank you so much!

I think they work well as siblings! They start with a different sound, and [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is much longer.

[name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is lovely! I think I would lean toward that, to avoid any issues with her initials. However, I don’t think the initials are a huge issue. Most wouldn’t even notice. For that reason, I think I would pick [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], since it has such a lovely flow to it! I also like [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].

1 Like

Thanks, @may.rose!

I’m starting to like [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. It’s fairly interesting as a mn. And I just looked up what a primrose actually is. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom always grew those in our yard when I was a kid! I didn’t even realize… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t pronounce [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] with a win sound so for me they would work as siblings. If win is going to be a nn though I think they may be a tad close for you.

Thanks, @mirae. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you say [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]? You-anne?

[name_m]Yew[/name_m]-un

That makes sense. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] and [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] are completely different in sound and they totally work.

I don’t think the NAM initials are a problem and I’d never had made that association. That said, [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is beautiful. [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f] came to mind.

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is really cool and as I said, i dont think the initials are a big deal.
Otherwise [name_m]Padraig[/name_m] is pronounced ‘paw-ric’ and i think it could work

Thanks, @greyblu!

I do really like [name_f]Nuala[/name_f] [name_f]Posy[/name_f] as well. And that flows way better w/our last name. And thanks for clarifying [name_m]Padraig[/name_m]. That’s way different than [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]! Okay, it’s officially on the middle name list now. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] is really cool. :).

Bump. :blush: