Sibling names

Hello!
I don’t have any kids yet but planning on it some time in the near future. Since I am not from an English speaking country, but my children will grow up in the US, I would like to know if the names have any bad connotations that I am not aware of.
I like the names [name]Ellen[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Clara[/name]/[name]Claire[/name], [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name].
I would love to know what you think of first when you hear those names!

Also if you have different suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Thanks!

I like the names [name]Ellen[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Clara[/name]/[name]Claire[/name], [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name].
I would love to know what you think of first when you hear those names!

[name]Hi[/name] there! I really like the names you have chosen (especially [name]Eleanor[/name]!), and I’m happy to let you know that none of them have negative associations or meanings in the U.S. .

[name]Ellen[/name]- For me, this is rather dated, but if you love it, go for it!

[name]Eleanor[/name]- I love, love, love [name]Eleanor[/name]! It’s a timeless classic, and quite elegant. [name]Eleanor[/name]'s nicknames ([name]Nell[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Nora[/name], etc.) are gorgeous, too, and I just adore everything about the name.

[name]Clara[/name]: I’ll forever associate this with the Nutcracker, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s a beautiful name, but be aware that while some pronounce it “[name]Claire[/name]-uh,” others may say it as “Clar-uh.”

[name]Claire[/name]: Another gorgeous name. You asked about negative associations, and while it’s minor, this name does indeed have one. In the 80’s movie “The Breakfast Club,” [name]Molly[/name] Ringwald’s character’s name is [name]Claire[/name]. [name]Judd[/name] [name]Nelson[/name], who plays the slacker, informs her that [name]Claire[/name] is a “fat girl’s” name. Unfortunately, every time I hear the name, I do think of this, and I’m sure I’m not alone. This, however, would never stop me from using the name (it’s a popular name in the U.S.), especially as a middle name. If anything, I’m just annoyed that I always think of that movie line when I hear the name.

[name]Jonah[/name]: A great name!

[name]Lucas[/name]: Another great name!

You’ve chosen some lovely names, and I’d be happy to give you some more ideas that reflect your love of [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Clara[/name], etc. (I’m a classic names lover, too!)

[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]

[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

Good luck!

Great! Thanks a lot!
I told those names to my sister a few weeks ago and she thought [name]Jonah[/name] was a girls’ name.
I could imagine it being quite hard for a boy growing up with a name that is considered feminine. However it seems to be mainly used as a name for boys in English. Is that something I have to worry about?
I really like some of the names from the list, especially [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name].

Is your sister in the U.S.? I ask, because [name]Jonah[/name] is a boy’s name; a Biblical boy’s name. There is a girl’s name, [name]Joan[/name], and while [name]Jonah[/name] does begin with the “[name]Joan[/name]” sound and have an “ah” ending, it is 100% boy! I do see how it could sound a bit feminine, but I just want to assure you that it isn’t a name that’s used on boy’s and girls.

This site (and previously posted answers on other posts in the forum) has some great name ideas!

Best wishes to you!

No my sister is living in Germany and here it can definitely be used for both sexes.
I was thinking about similar names, but I can’t name him [name]Jonas[/name], because of family troubles and my husband is not a fan of [name]Jonathan[/name]. Are there any other similar sounding names?

Hmm…Similar to [name]Jonah[/name], excluding [name]Jonas[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name]? Well, if I include both similar sounding and Biblical names, the following are possibilities:

[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Joaquin[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Johan[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Jeremy[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Noah[/name] (reminds me of [name]Jonah[/name])
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
Bejnamin
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Eli[/name] (or [name]Elias[/name])