Siblings for Genevieve

Hello All! :slight_smile:

I’m not pregnant or even trying to conceive at the moment, but I am already thinking about the next baby. I have a four month old daughter named [name]Genevieve[/name] B”atrix, and our last name is three syllables beginning with an S and ending in -son. Our original plan was to call [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Evie[/name], after a good friend of ours who is partially responsible for bringing my husband and I together. However, now that I see how popular [name]Evie[/name] is becoming, we have decided to avoid [name]Evie[/name]. Also, when we’ve tried calling her [name]Evie[/name], it just feels forced.

We are thinking [name]Genevieve[/name] will be [name]Genny[/name] for short, though we haven’t committed to it yet, and we can’t agree on a spelling (I like [name]Genny[/name], my husband wants [name]Jenny[/name]). Also, her middle name is an homage to a very close teacher and friend, a Frenchwoman named B”atrix who passed away six years ago. She was like a mom to me. We are pronouncing [name]Genevieve[/name] the standard American way, B”atrix the same way my teacher pronounced it ([name]BAY[/name]-uh-treece).

Boys are difficult for us, name-wise. Our boy name for our daughter was [name]Oliver[/name], which my husband was okay with, but didn’t love. He really wanted [name]Mack[/name], which I despised at the time, but am starting to not hate. It just sounds too nicknamey to me. My husband says we can’t use [name]Oliver[/name] again because it was our boy name for this baby, and we have to start fresh with each kid. I’m feeling that [name]Oliver[/name]'s become too popular anyway.

So far, the names that I am feeling have the most potential for our future kids are:

[name]Aurelia[/name]/[name]Aurelie[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]

[name]Cormac[/name] (to get to the [name]Mack[/name] nn)
[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]

Please share opinions and any other name ideas you have! Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

[name]Heather[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! Oh my gosh!!! I love [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]!!! Two of my all-time favorite names side by side! Woo-hoo!!! :slight_smile: (I’m so sorry that you lost your [name]Beatrix[/name], and I love how you honored her memory by naming your daughter after her.)

From your list, [name]Clara[/name] is my favorite, but I love them all! I love [name]Aurelia[/name], but depending on where you live, I worry about “orally” jokes with [name]Aurelie[/name].

I really love [name]Alastair[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name], and [name]Oliver[/name] is one of my favorites. :slight_smile: (I can see [name]Hugh[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name], too, but not really [name]Cormac[/name], which I think is really handsome.)

More names I can see with [name]Genevieve[/name] and your last name:

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name], although [name]Cordelia[/name] S—son is a lot of name)
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] (oops…not the best with an S last name…)
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] (although I love first names that don’t end in N with your last name…)
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] (oops…[name]Gen[/name] and [name]Hen[/name] rhyme)
[name]Hugo[/name] (another [name]Hugh[/name] option)
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Teddy[/name])

French girls’ names:

[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] (oops…Sorry…I forgot about the S last name…)
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]

I love your baby girl’s name!!! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]! It’s amazingly beautiful, you’ve made such a stunning choice:) I won’t suggest any names because [name]Jill[/name] has made an extensive list (as always) but have you thought of [name]Viv[/name] or [name]Neve[/name] as nns for your [name]Genevieve[/name]? Since you don’t want [name]Evie[/name] and aren’t set on [name]Genny[/name], I thought I’d suggest them.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

My name is [name]Genevieve[/name] and I go by [name]Gigi[/name]. I used to hate it (french poodle references) but I like it now. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion. :slight_smile:

I am a [name]Jenevieve[/name] and I go by [name]Jen[/name]/[name]Jenny[/name].

[name]Beatrix[/name] is an adorable nn. From your list I love [name]Isadora[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name].

other names I think might go well with [name]Genevieve[/name]:

[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Aurore[/name]
[name]Honore[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Violette[/name]

Great names! I have nothing to add other than some other ways to get [name]Mack[/name]. What about [name]Malachi[/name] or [name]Malcolm[/name]?

[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] is gorgeous. The only [name]Genevieve[/name] I know goes by [name]Genni[/name], with that spelling…

I like [name]Clara[/name] the most from your list, though I would say it is a bit simpler than [name]Genevieve[/name]. If you pair it with a “wow” middle name, like [name]Clara[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name], I think it would be lovely.

I’m also really loving [name]Alastair[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name], and [name]Alastair[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] is pretty cute! I don’t know what you would call [name]Alastair[/name], though.

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! I never thought about the [name]Aurelie[/name]/“orally” thing. That’s definitely something to consider. My husband likes Am”lie, but is not a fan of [name]Amelia[/name] (which was my first choice name). Similarly, he likes Aur”lie, but not [name]Aurelia[/name] as much. We are not French at ALL, and I never meant for us to get going on a French theme. If anything, we’ve joked about [name]Genevieve[/name] being our French baby, and that each kid will get his or her own nationality…our [name]German[/name] baby, our Norwegian baby, etc. Ha ha!

So, anyway, [name]Aurelia[/name] would solve the “orally” problem, and maybe [name]Aurelie[/name] (no accent mark, pron. oh-ray-lee) could be her nickname. I can’t think of a nn I like otherwise for [name]Aurelia[/name], and I’m huge on nicknames, since I grew up with a name that doesn’t really have one ([name]Heather[/name]).

My husband was the one to suggest [name]Alistair[/name] a little while ago, after the birth of our daughter. I was so surprised! But then we couldn’t figure out what his nn could be, other than [name]Al[/name], and we don’t love that. We have a niece named [name]Allyson[/name], nn [name]Ally[/name], so calling him [name]Ali[/name] isn’t something we could really do.

I love [name]Hugh[/name], but don’t want to make people think we’re doing a G, H, I… theme or anything. I like [name]Hugo[/name], too, but prefer [name]Hugh[/name]. My husband prefers [name]Hugo[/name]. Of course.

I love your lists! [name]Annabel[/name] (spelled exactly that way) was a strong contender already. I’m sure we’ll consider it again if/when I’m pregnant. A lot of your names I love, but were nixed by my husband ([name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], for example).

There were some you mentioned I could really love…just need to give them more thought: [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name].

Thanks again! I love the food for thought!

Hey [name]Charlie[/name],

Thanks! It’s so nice to hear compliments on the name we picked! I had thought of those nicknames…think I might be more into [name]Neve[/name] than [name]Viv[/name]. I think part of it is just that I was never one to call someone by a nickname unless they specifically told me, “call me …” You know? Some weird formality in me. I guess I’m waiting for my daughter to tell me what she wants me to call her, ha ha!

I think I do like [name]Genny[/name] best, and will call her that eventually, but I appreciate your suggestions! And [name]Genevieve[/name] has so many great nicknames that I’m happy my daughter will have her choice of many when she is older. :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Gigi[/name]! Another one to consider…it’s very cute! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Jenevieve[/name]. [name]How[/name] do you like your name being spelled with a J, by the way? [name]Do[/name] you wish your parents had stuck with the G?

I like the list…I like [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], and [name]Violet[/name] (like it better without the extra -te) a lot. I’m not looking for a French name per se. I would [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] if there weren’t so many of them, and Madisons, running around in the world. Too many little Maddies everywhere.

Maybe [name]Violet[/name]'s a bit too popular, too. [name]Will[/name] definitely have to consider [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name], though (my husband likes [name]Amelie[/name]). I like [name]Honor[/name], but my husband would NEVER go for it. Men!

[name]Jemma[/name], I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Malcolm[/name]. It was nixed by my husband, but when I’m pregnant again, I’m totally going to slide that one into the list. He sometimes he forgets he doesn’t like a certain name. Heh heh!

I don’t have many suggestions for you, but I just wanted to mention that I have a friend named Genevi”ve (pronounced the French way - we are French Canadian) and she has a sister named Andr”anne, which I always thought was so lovely. And I think the two names go really well together. They go by [name]Gen[/name] and [name]Andy[/name].

Ohh I love [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]! So adorable.

From your list I really like [name]Aurelia[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name]. And [name]Alistair[/name] if it’s a boy. [name]Both[/name] names are unusual but really lovely, they have a kind of offbeat style but not something people would make faces at. I also like [name]Hugh[/name] or [name]Hugo[/name] too. [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] together are adorable!

From other suggestions I like [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Annabel[/name].

I think that [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] go really well together.

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]

I think [name]Aurelia[/name] is a pretty, feminine name.

I prefer [name]Claudia[/name] to [name]Clara[/name] as I think it is a more dignified and appealing name.

[name]Isadora[/name] is what I call a fabulous name, the child I picture is slightly precocious, very pretty and has star quality but not every child could pull this name off imo.

You have a different style of naming for your son which kind of jars me.

I really like the names but not with [name]Genevieve[/name].

I think names like (see list) would be preferable

[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Philip/name
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Andre[/name]
[name]Jacoby[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Henry/name
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Maxim[/name]
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
and [name]Malachi[/name] is a good suggestion.

[name]Cormac[/name] is a lovely way to get nn [name]Mack[/name], without acually committing to [name]Mack[/name] as the primary name. It could also be Dad’s special nickname for his son.

For girls, hmm…I’m running pretty low on ideas, but [name]Eugenie[/name] keeps with the theme very nicely, I think, especially when pronounced the “right” (well, French) way. [name]Eugenie[/name] or [name]Ophelie[/name], certainly…

I think your girl names are beautiful…no need for any suggestion. Boys…would your husband consider [name]Max[/name] instead? Either [name]Maxwell[/name] or [name]Maximilian[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a thought.