Silas James

We’re considering [name]Silas[/name] [name]James[/name]. We have gotten a mixed response from family and friends. Most people say “it sounds evil”. I think we might nickname him [name]Si[/name] (like [name]Cy[/name] for [name]Cyrus[/name]), but I don’t like the spelling of that. So here’s my questions:

1. What do you think about the name?
  2. [name]How[/name] would you spell the nickname?

Friends and family are not good sources for picking a name. [name]Trust[/name] me, any name you pick SOMEONE will find something wrong with it. I appreciate my own friends & family’s input on names but I started to not ask them anymore because I would basically end up with no names that everyone liked lol.

Use it if you like it.

Very handsome name!
[name]Si[/name] is definitely more obvious

1. What do you think about the name?

I like [name]Silas[/name] a lot! [name]Elias[/name] is one of my favorite names, and [name]Silas[/name] has the same vintage feel to me.

1. [name]How[/name] would you spell the nickname?:

I agree that [name]Si[/name] seems like the most obvious spelling. (I know a [name]Simon[/name] who goes by [name]Si[/name], and he uses the [name]Si[/name] spelling…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Silas[/name] nn [name]Si[/name]. We named our son that. :slight_smile:

He’s a happy, sweet boy and his name suits him. I just ignore the evil/sinister remarks (very, very few remarks like this though).

I just wanted to add that I think [name]Silas[/name] is a very cool name. I think of the TV show Weeds. One of [name]Nancy[/name]'s sons is named [name]Silas[/name] and he;s a very likable character. I think the boy/man makes the name anyway. Best of [name]Luck[/name].

Here is another vote in favor of [name]Silas[/name] [name]James[/name]. It think it’s a handsome name! For your question about nn spelling, I like [name]Si[/name] best

[name]Silas[/name] [name]James[/name] is a name we are considering as well. [name]Silas[/name] for my Mother’s favorite book and [name]James[/name] is my husband’s name. I’m glad to see more people considering it. I think it’s a very handsome name.

Have you ever read/seen the movie [name]Silas[/name] Marner? The book is by [name]George[/name] [name]Eliot[/name]. It’s about a miser/hermit who finds an abandoned child and raises it as his own. Of course through raising the child, he becomes less bitter and learns what is important. It is a heartwarming story and the main character is anything but evil. My mother always loved the book so I never really saw [name]Silas[/name] as a sinister name.

And yes, family and friends can be a horrible source for opinions on what you want to name your baby. If you wouldn’t let them decorate your house, don’t let them name your baby. Not that you can’t get their input, just realize that naming a baby is just as much about personal style and taste as decorating your house or what clothes you would choose to wear.

For the nickname I like [name]Si[/name] best.

Thanks all - my wife and are I liking [name]Silas[/name] [name]James[/name] more and more!

I love the name [name]Silas[/name], and [name]Silas[/name] [name]James[/name] flows beautifully!
I certainly don’t find it to be sinister or evil sounding! The things people think of!
I agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster who said that the person makes the name. When it’s on your sweet child, people who thought it sounded bad will have an entirely new positive association to overshadow that feeling!

Go for it!

[name]Just[/name] as a come back for naysayers:

[name]Silas[/name] Marner (as previous mentioned) – a positive story
[name]Silas[/name] – a companion to [name]Paul[/name] in the Bible, was a very positive figure!
And-- it has a great meaning: “Of the forest” (Sorry, I have to disagree with the meaning given by Nameberry).

Really like these names together! I suspect those who find the name to sound evil may have read the da vinci code! But if you were to name your son this, your friends and families association would automatically swap from ‘evil’ to ahhhhh sweet little [name]Silas[/name]!!! Good luck!

1. [name]LOVE[/name] IT!
  2. I would use [name]Si[/name] as a nn

:slight_smile:

This is one of my new favorite boy’s names. I am in my mid to late 40’s and I named my own sons the classics [name]David[/name] and [name]Matthew[/name]. IfI had a son right now, this name would be a contender along with [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], and [name]Cyrus[/name], I love the nn [name]Si[/name] for [name]Silas[/name] and [name]Cy[/name] for [name]Cyrus[/name]. [name]James[/name] is my DH’s name and I love it because it is a classic as well. I think you have picked a winner!